Help with replacing thread - Rajah's Feast

Old April 1st 05, 10:23 AM
Helena Bennett

Default Help with replacing thread - Rajah's Feast

I have been lurking here for some time, and now hope someone can help me.

I am working on my first big project, Rajah's Feast from the Heritage
Collection. I bought this a
year or so ago, and now cannot find the metallic thread which was included.
It is called "gold wrapped thread" and I should have 24 yards.

Can anyone please tell me what brand/type this thread is so I can replace
it.

Thanks in advance for any help
Margaret

Old April 1st 05, 12:31 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 4/1/05 4:23 AM, in article , "Helena
Bennett" wrote:

I have been lurking here for some time, and now hope someone can help me.

I am working on my first big project, Rajah's Feast from the Heritage
Collection. I bought this a
year or so ago, and now cannot find the metallic thread which was included.
It is called "gold wrapped thread" and I should have 24 yards.

Can anyone please tell me what brand/type this thread is so I can replace
it.

Thanks in advance for any help
Margaret

Hmmm - this sounds like an opportunity to try several different things and
see what works for you.

Do you remember what it looked like - flat like a ribbon? Like a floss? It
would give you a clue where to start!

Cheryl

Old April 1st 05, 05:47 PM
Mavia Beaulieu

You could try contacting one of the shops that sell the kits to look and see
if they can identify it. http://www.stitcher.co.uk is one of many. Or if
you have a way to contact the company who put the kits together they should
be able to help you.

Mavia

Old April 2nd 05, 04:54 AM
Jinx the Minx

Hi Margaret,
I have this same kit, and I tried to cross-reference the gold thread in it
with three other gold threads from my stash. Unfortunately, I could not
find an exact match.

The first thread I compared it with is on a spool with no markings other
than 50Y and "Made in Taiwan". The color is quite a bit more gold, and the
texture is smoother. Not a match.

The second is Kreinik #8 Japan gold fine braid (002J). It's also a brighter
gold than in the kit, and is thicker. It is a very nice gold thread to work
with, however (IMHO).

The third, and closest match, is DMC 5282 gold thread. The color of the DMC
is very close, but it's not as thick. If you use two strands of the DMC, it
would be comparable.

So, if you haven't started any of the gold work yet and are a stickler when
it comes to "exactly" matching, I would recommend using two strands of the
DMC 5282. The Kreinik braids come in other sizes as well, but since this is
the only one I own, maybe someone else here can speak on thread thickness so
you can find the best match?

HTH,
Jinx

Old April 5th 05, 08:30 AM
Helena Bennett

Thanks for all your help. However .... my grandchildren stayed with me
for the weekend and I decided we should make cards for their Mum's birthday.
And guess what - there was my thread for Rajah, in among the "bits and
pieces" put away for card making.

Now I can continue my cross stitch and without having to buy extra thread.
Probably only take me another year to finish it.

Silverbirduk (Margaret)