OT - diagnosis question

Old July 16th 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen, Queen of Squishies

Default OT - diagnosis question

I have a friend whose adult step-son has been classified sometime by
somebody as 'environmentally disabled'. Have any of you ever heard of this?
I can't seem to find out anything about it. Thanks,

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old July 16th 08, 07:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

Start with this link Karen. http://www.mcs-global.org/ Other names:
environmental sensitivities; chemical allergies; environmental
chemical sensitivities; sick building syndrome ... the list goes on.
I have been on disability because of multiple chemical allergies (mcs)
since 1992 and have a long list of allergic responses.
Let me know if I can answer any more questions for you jennellh.
)

Old July 16th 08, 07:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Is that like Multiple Chemical Sensitivity- I think that's what it's called?
I've heard of that where people can't leave their house- and it has to be
all specially arranged to prevent the attacks- because of fumes from
plastics, cleaning products, perfumes, smog, etc.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old July 16th 08, 07:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen, Queen of Squishies

Leslie, and Jennel - this is a behavior disorder of some kind which is
somehow related to the social and family environment during the formative
years.

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old July 16th 08, 07:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

You're dealing more with psychological social disabilities then? Try
that a search topic and see if you come up with something that
applies. jennellh

On Jul 16, 2:34*pm, "Karen, Queen of Squishies" hicall80 @ mchsi.com
wrote:
Leslie, and Jennel - this is a behavior disorder of some kind which is
somehow related to the social and family environment during the formative
years.

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Is that like Multiple Chemical Sensitivity- I think that's what it's
called? I've heard of that where people can't leave their house- and it
has to be all specially arranged to prevent the attacks- because of fumes
from plastics, cleaning products, perfumes, smog, etc.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

"Karen, Queen of Squishies" hicall80 @ mchsi.com wrote in message
I have a friend whose adult step-son has been classified sometime by
somebody as 'environmentally disabled'. *Have any of you ever heard of
this? I can't seem to find out anything about it. *Thanks,

Karen, Queen of Squishies- Hide quoted text -

Old July 17th 08, 12:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Paulette

Karen, you know I work with Pre K aged children, many with a wide variety of
issues. Personally, I have never heard of this. I checked NIMH
(www.nimg.nih.gov) and did not find anything with that title of diagnosis.
Paulette in WV

Old July 17th 08, 02:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_3_]

Karen, I haven't heard of 'environmentally disabled,' but I'm wondering if
it's something on the order of reactive attachment disorder. It's caused by
a child not forming an emotional bond during infancy or early childhood -
it's not unusual to see it in children adopted from foreign countries who
were left in orphanages at birth and often left in cribs without being
cuddled or held by some type of parental figure. I wouldn't think it would
be limited to that situation, though. It would seem that if a child was
somewhat ignored by a parent during those formative years even in a family
environment, the same condition could develop.

--
Louise in Iowa
nielandl@ msn dot com

Old July 17th 08, 02:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
lyn5

On Jul 16, 1:15*pm, "Karen, Queen of Squishies" hicall80 @ mchsi.com
wrote:
I have a friend whose adult step-son has been classified sometime by
somebody as 'environmentally disabled'. *Have any of you ever heard of this?
I can't seem to find out anything about it. *Thanks,

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Karen, it sounds like you are talking about something like
environmentally retarted, which is, the person was neglected or
denied normal types of interactions while growing up. Not sure if I
have any of my books from work left around but I will check.
Lyn
Old July 17th 08, 03:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

I was wondering because I have only ever heard that phrase in
conjunction with extreme religions. Wherin persons brought up within
the social enviroment of the particular faith are woefully unprepared
to cope with a different society. Like if you plucked an Old Order
Amish woman up and dropped her in the middle of New York City. There
are less extreme examples, but you probably get the idea.
Not exactly a behavior disorder, but I am not quite sure what you
could properly call it.

NightMist

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 18:34:41 GMT, "Karen, Queen of Squishies"
hicall80 @ mchsi.com wrote:

Leslie, and Jennel - this is a behavior disorder of some kind which is
somehow related to the social and family environment during the formative
years.

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Is that like Multiple Chemical Sensitivity- I think that's what it's
called? I've heard of that where people can't leave their house- and it
has to be all specially arranged to prevent the attacks- because of fumes
from plastics, cleaning products, perfumes, smog, etc.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

"Karen, Queen of Squishies" hicall80 @ mchsi.com wrote in message
I have a friend whose adult step-son has been classified sometime by
somebody as 'environmentally disabled'. Have any of you ever heard of
this? I can't seem to find out anything about it. Thanks,

Karen, Queen of Squishies

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old July 17th 08, 01:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 13:15:42 -0500, Karen, Queen of Squishies wrote
(in article iVqfk.201200$TT4.45800@attbi_s22):

I have a friend whose adult step-son has been classified sometime by
somebody as 'environmentally disabled'. Have any of you ever heard of this?
I can't seem to find out anything about it. Thanks,

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Is it because he's super sensitive to chemicals of any kind? I think some
people refer to it as chemically sensitive or chemically disabled.

Maureen