Karen's Thoughts

Old March 21st 04, 07:00 PM
Rachel Janzen

Dawne Peterson wrote:
allows you to eat a wider range of foods and so a more balanced diet.
However, it has to be remembered that some poor people do live in
conditions that make cooking difficult, such as having a stove with only
one or two working burners and a non-functioning oven. Here, the big chain
grocery store with lots of fresh produce and a wide selection of other
goods pulled out of the down town core area where many poor people lived,
so they are reliant on corner grocery/convenience stores, which have
doughnuts but no flour, frozen french fries but no vegetables, and lots of
potato chips unless they are prepared to drive a long way.
Dawne

For some background, I live in the same geographical area as Dawne, but
not the same city. We still have a good size grocery store downtown, but
the prices were higher there than in the grocery stores in the burbs.
Probably due to the higer cost of rent downtown. Now where I live, you
can drive across the city in 15 - 20 minutes, basically. But, if you
don't have a car, you have to take a bus. I've never had to take
groceries home by bus, but I understand the invoncenience. You can't
take more than you can carry, the best bargains are in the large pails,
etc. I ran into a friend at a mall that didn't have a car in the city
before Christmas one year. She asked for a ride home, and then asked if
I minded if she made a quick run through the grocery store. I believe
that trip she picked up kitty litter, laundry soap and toilet paper,
things that are cumbersome in a bus. So, eating healty isn't easy,
especially if you are one person. I know I should eat more vegetables,
etc. but they are not as easy to prepare, and they tend to go bad on me,
if I buy them on a week I don't have time or inclination to cook. There
are many factors affected how and what people cook. Blanket statements
don't help.

Rachel

Old March 21st 04, 08:52 PM
Dr. Brat

Deb Milner wrote:
On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 04:35:21 GMT, "Dr. Brat"
wrote:

As long as we're plugging gadgets: we love our George Foreman Grill. I

But it is a PAIN to clean.....however, I love the George Foreman
Contact roaster......does a roast (or other baking) just right for DH
and I, does not heat up the kitchen and is a breeze to clean.....

I've had other people say this and I don't get it. I don't find mine to
be a pain to clean at all. *shrug*

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Old March 21st 04, 09:53 PM
Caryn

When I travelled to FL the first time from MI, what shocked me was not
the beer and wine in the aisles, but the liquor stores with hard booze
on open aisles, not behind the counter.....

Yeah, but the grocery store stuff is like 40 proof!

I never really saw the point! lol

Caryn
Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
Updated: 7/7/03 -- now available Dragon of the Stars
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)
Old March 21st 04, 10:00 PM
Caryn

Let's face it, they probably don't. Why do anything to undermine the effects
of
the probably costly medication prescribed?

If it doesn't undermine it, why worry?

When I was put on perscription ibuprophen for the first time (something like
15-20 yrs ago now) I looked it up in "The Pill Book."

I was reading the section on what mixes and what doesn't, and was very much
amused to discover that marijuana "enhances the analgesic effects."

So....next time you take an advil for a headache, don't forget to spark up a
doobie to make it work better! begwink wink

Old March 22nd 04, 12:11 AM
Cheryl Isaak

On 3/21/04 6:59 PM, in article ,
"Deb Milner" wrote:

On 19 Mar 2004 03:39:36 GMT,
wd (Caryn) wrote:

That is what I was talking about, nothing fancy, but meals that took more
than
20 mins. If the mom in that house had worked, I expect she would have taken
advantage of some mixes and such to feed her family.

"Back in the day", it was not the hours a woman worked or did not
work, it was cook from scratch or don't cook at all. Face it, there
just weren't that many prepared foods available.

I have always been a scratch cooker. I turned my nose up at most
prepared foods. But I had to face it, sometimes it's just easier,
and I get lazy about it. Not a bad lazy, just that in many areas my
priorities have shifted. When I get home from work today, I'd rather
stitch than cook. It's a quick meal during the week, or take out, or
something that got frozen on the last weekend cooking binge.

I try to do as much of my own "prepared foods" to work with for the
quick meals, for example I have Pasta e Fajole soup in the freezer,
all but the pasta, that gets warmed up and the noodles added on some
nights.....or I'll buy the ingredients for stir fry already "sliced
and diced" out of the produce section, toss the rice in the rice
cooker and in 20 minutes dinner is done.

Then there are the nights that we just don't feel like that much, so
the Campbell's Clam Chowder or Beef soup comes out and that is
dinner.....

--

And nights like tonight - we had had a large late lunch/brunch (post hockey,
so we hadn't eaten yet!). DD had soup, DS leftovers, DH and I cereal. Don't

Cheryl

Old March 22nd 04, 12:51 AM
Caryn

In the liquor stores, it is the full 80 proof....at that time, in MI,
even the liquor stores had to keep all of the "hard stuff" behind the
counter...in FL you could take your shopping cart down the aisles of
the ABC and just load up if you wanted.

Oh yeah, the liquor stores had the "good stuff" while you could buy the less
powerful versions in the grocery store on the same aisle as the wine.

Old March 22nd 04, 12:51 AM
Lucille

I hate to ask but I will anyway. You are closing the cover when you use it,
right? ( see me ducking and running)

What I do to clean it is as soon as I'm through cooking on it I put a little
dish detergent on a wet piece of paper towel and put the paper towel on the
grill. That's after it's unplugged of course. I close the cover on the
wet, soapy towel and have dinner. By the time I'm ready to clean up the
grill is cool and I can just wipe it off with a sponge or another piece of
paper towel. That works out very well for me.

Lucille

"Deb Milner" wrote in message
On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 10:09:12 -0500, "Lucille"
wrote:

I use one too and find it absolutely wonderful. It's so much easier to
clean up than using the broiler and it doesn't sputter and get grease all
over the place..
Lucille

Ok, then I'm doing something wrong with mine, since it is both hard to
clean and does the sputter all around it.

Old March 22nd 04, 03:01 PM

Deb Milner wrote in
:

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 18:16:01 -0600, Dianne Lewandowski
wrote:

What IS bad for you is too much of it. But in healthy, well-rounded
diets, it's good for you. And the high-quality stuff is MUCH better for
you than the cheap (or cheaply) processed stuff.

Several studies have been done over the last few years that indicate
that those who eat a low fat meal are hugrier, sooner than those who
eat a meal with the same, but not low fat, ingredients, and that over
the "long haul", ate more calories due than the group eating the "non
low fat" ingredients.

Depends on your definition of low fat and what you fill the rest of the
meal up with. If you go with the super-lowfat diet and fill up on simple,
low-fiber carbs, then yea, you'll probably get hungry. If you stick to the
recommendations of the American Heart Association, the American Diabetes
Association, the National Cancer Institute, et al, and keep your fat intake
to under 30% and get 25-35 grams of fiber a day, you probably won't.

Old March 22nd 04, 03:46 PM
Joan Erickson

Deb Milner wrote:

DH's stepmother did nothing but hamburger helper. DH told me when we
got together, that although he loved me more than life itself, if I
EVER brought HH into the house, he'd have to leave.

I feel sorry for my kids, who were raised on HH (unfortunately!). They
think it tastes *better* than homemade! Boy, did I ever blow that part
of mothering. But, like I said before, I'm not the best cook.
Baker, yes, but not cook.

--
Joan

See my first-ever design he
http://www.heritageshoppe.com/joan.jpg

"Stitch when you are young and poor, frame when you are old and rich."
- Elizabeth's (rctn'r) sister's MIL (Barbara Marr)

Old March 22nd 04, 03:57 PM
Joan Erickson

Rhiannon wrote:

We use the "Fix It And Forget It" cookbook for our crock food.

Can you tell me more about this book? Does it use common every-day
ingredients? Most cookbooks I look at have such weird spices and, since
I *have* to follow a recipe for it to come out right (I'm definitely not
one of those who just throws this-n-that in and it tastes great!), I'm
continually on the lookout for those that do use common ingredients.
TIA

Thoughts and Prayers Debbie B Beads 1 March 20th 04 10:19 PM
Prayers and thoughts needed EL Beads 14 September 18th 03 09:33 PM
More good thoughts needed saucy Beads 3 August 8th 03 10:18 PM