VERY OT !!! RCTN member seeking religious knowledge

Old June 13th 05, 06:19 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

I guess, in my heart, no one can ever know how a recipient feels about a
gift. When you do something out of love and genuine enthusiasm, that's
the important part. The process. Everyone will have an opinion, like
the proverbial bell curve. The squabbling over the design of the
memorial in New York is not unlike what we've been going through with
our angel. Same thing happened in Oklahoma. Same thing over the WWII
Memorial and the Viet Nam Memorial. Ultimately, things get accepted . .
.. or not. None of that is important in the long run. It's the thought
that counts. It's how we as individuals feel about that process . . .
not the finished product. In 50 years (or less), no one will care about
any of these memorials. Those of two generations later just have no
connection to an event. So if you do something in hopes of it being
recognized, your doomed from the start.

Dianne

jv wrote:

Not for nothing - why would you send money to a department fully funded
by tax dollars? Unless, of course, you mean to donate it to the widows
and orphans fund, which certainly WOULD be putting the money to good
use. As far as a bunch of fireFIGHTERS (there are women in the
department too!) wanting a stitched piece hanging on their walls -
shrug some might, some might not. The work force is as varied as
the population of the City, and there are those who would find an angel
offensive, no matter what the original intent of the gift.

Old June 13th 05, 06:47 PM

If all you want is for this piece to be displayed somewhere it can
actually be seen and appreciated, and still go to the NYFD why not
inquire at their official museum?

http://www.nycfiremuseum.org/index.php

You could frame it nicely, provide a plaque listing designer,
stitchers, and who it is dedicated to and why.

Seems it would fit in better in a museum than in a firehouse, and this
way it's for all the firehouses that responded that day, not just one.

Caryn

Old June 13th 05, 06:48 PM
Dr. Brat

Lucretia Borgia wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 12:41:34 -0500, Dianne Lewandowski
wrote:

idea, either. And I certainly have had plenty to do on the project.

That was catty, Victoria, and beneath you. We must welcome all points
of view. We don't have to accept them.

Dianne

Here's another one, suggestion, that you don't have to accept. Why
not put the finished piece on ebay and sell it then give the money
raised to a NY Fire Department ?

Finished needlework pieces of this calibur don't command nearly what the
effort represents on Ebay.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old June 13th 05, 06:51 PM
Dr. Brat

Lucretia Borgia wrote:

Dianne, I am NOT sniping. I don't recall ever having any comment on
the Angel idea, though as it has progressed I have thought a lot.

FWIW, I did not think you were sniping, but nor did I read Dianne as
implying that you were. I think she was merely commenting on the level
of sniping (including recent complaints about her not being done yet)
that has accompanied the project in general.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old June 13th 05, 06:56 PM
Pat EAXStitch

"Dianne Lewandowski" wrote in message
[...]

That`s the truth, Dianne. The squabbling always happens; that`s human nature
and when it`s for a public memorial it sometimes makes one wonder if the
contributors contribute for purely altruistic reasons, or to get their tiny
"claim to fame".

As for me, I certainly treasure that lovely little embroidered bag you made
for me when I broke my hip - it was such a surprise when John brought the
package to me in hospital, anf greatly admired by the nurses.

I had to laugh when I saw on the TV that the only statue of a previous Prime
Minister of ours to be kept in a glass case in case of vandalism is that of
Margaret Thatcher. Not sure who paid for that "Memorial" but bet it was the
tax-payer, one way or another. "Memorial" in inverted commas as she`s still
alive!

I`m afraid, like Sheena, I wondered whether firefighters would be totally
appreciative of an embroidery. I expect that, somewhere, they have their own
chapel? Maybe that would be a suitable place for it?

Pat P

Old June 13th 05, 07:01 PM
jv

Actually, Dianne - YOU'RE the one who misunderstands what people say!!
And yes, RCTN would be a MUCH nicer place if one could filter out
quotes of your posts as well as your original blatherings!

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:
Pat EAXStitch wrote:
"Dianne Lewandowski" wrote in message

Pat EAXStitch wrote:

It would be nice - PLEASE - PRETTY PLEASE - if those really interested

could

now just deal with it in Email. Again we`re getting on the recognisedly
"taboo" subjects of religion (money ... etc.)

Ahhh, can you image RCTN if each individual who participates could have
his own way?
Dianne

I think we all pretty much do! (she says ungrammatically!)

Pat P

Ya missed my point.
Dianne

--
"The Journal of Needlework" - The E-zine for All Needleworkers
http://journal.heritageshoppe.com

Old June 13th 05, 07:14 PM
Dr. Brat

jv wrote:

Actually, Dianne - YOU'RE the one who misunderstands what people say!!
And yes, RCTN would be a MUCH nicer place if one could filter out
quotes of your posts as well as your original blatherings!

Because, of course, no one else ever contributes anything nasty,
especially not jv.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Old June 13th 05, 08:11 PM

Lucretia Borgia wrote:
On 13 Jun 2005 11:01:01 -0700, "jv" wrote:

Actually, Dianne - YOU'RE the one who misunderstands what people say!!
And yes, RCTN would be a MUCH nicer place if one could filter out
quotes of your posts as well as your original blatherings!

Aaah just popping in again to be nasty eh ?

On a par where this whole thread had headed tho...bunch of immaturity
from a lot of folks....why shouldn't she play along too? eg

People who complain that others have no right to say how they should
post then post how they think others should post....same old crap,
different day.....

Seemed that JV's post fit right in with the general level of maturity!

Caryn

Old June 13th 05, 08:13 PM
jv

Well, as you certainly read in my previous post, no I wasn't just
"popping in to be nasty".

My post was right in tone with the generalized snarkiness that has
prevailed in this thread since Victoria's post. So if you're going to
take me to task, better take everyone else to task, too - including
yourself.