Grosgrain ribbon

Old March 2nd 05, 04:19 PM
bdiane

Default Grosgrain ribbon

Okay I figured out a new to me at least technique that I feel like
sharing. I purchased an entire reel of antique white grosgrain ribbon
( 7/8th ") and use it for the binding of my new whole cloth quilt with
sage on one side and cream on the other. I bought the grosgrain to
match the cream side. I plan on using my machine to embroider on one
side of it with a vine type stitch with the sage and then -- fold the
ribbon in half and stitch it as the binding of the quilt.
I tried a sample this morning and it is gorgeous -- very French . I
had purchased a thin sage grosgrain and was planning on stitching that
onto the fatter grosgrain for the green side but this turned out so
well that I am not doing that now. Barbie

Old March 3rd 05, 03:50 PM
Judie in Penfield NY

Barbie,

Does this mean you have finished your whole cloth quilt already? It seems
like you just got started, you must be working very quickly!

I have just received my replacement thread from Valdani and while it might
be just a little better quality than the original thread I had purchased, it
still has little extra slubs and some thick and thin sections. I will
probably not ever use their thread again after this experience. Even though
it comes in some lovely colors I do expect first quality thread when I pay
for first quality thread.

I haven't done any more quilting on my whole cloth but do plan to start
again very soon.

Keep us posted on your progress, do you have any pictures?

Judie

oups.com...

Old March 4th 05, 11:55 AM
bdiane

Hi our Judie,
No---not at all. Just planning for the end ! Although since I started
the satin stitch it has gone much better and no ripping out at all.
The silk Mettler thread is too thin and shows up too little, in MHO,
and had to widen it and now the segment intersections look much better
too-- no backstitching and some areas where there is one thread
coverage and others two. I am actually enjoying the process now. It
is rather mindless work and I can do it for hours if I had hours. I am
rather disappointed with not being able to use the free motion foot but
it was not in the stars for me. Thus, using the walking foot and
trying hard to make circles circles . They are not perfect. Did you
read a post about what I am doing with the grograin ? I am using an
embroidery stitch like a vine for one side for binding near the edges ,
cream on cream and sage on sage. After I get all of the preprinted
work done, I might want to fill in areas of the quilt but after
choosing the very lightest batt I do not want to start the quilt-a-
tearing!

gross grain ribbon bdiane Quilting 6 March 3rd 05 01:44 PM
Making grosgrain ribbon belts... help! KC Sewing 9 December 18th 04 08:03 PM
World Peace Ribbon Update Karen C - California Needlework 1 October 14th 04 08:59 PM
AD: Bulk Buy Rubber Necklace and Ribbon Necklace Mary P. - McDuck Beads 0 June 22nd 04 07:43 PM
9/11 Memorial -- World Peace Ribbon Project Karen C - California Needlework 7 September 12th 03 02:30 PM