What's the server equivalent to a Singer 301/401?

Old March 19th 04, 08:01 PM
Malcolm Spann

Default What's the server equivalent to a Singer 301/401?

Is there a serger that is the equivalent to what the Singer 301/401's
are to sewing machines? A solid, versatile, all metal, gear driven,
unbreakable machine that will work on both light and heavy fabrics,
and that I'll be handing down to my kids/grandkids?

Is there a FAQ for choosing a serger, like there is for choosing a
sewing machine?

Thanks!

Malcolm - (pleased with his new 401, but having to take his 431 to the
shop due to damage in shipment)

Old March 19th 04, 08:10 PM
AmazeR

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 20:01:04 +0000, Malcolm Spann wrote:

Is there a serger that is the equivalent to what the Singer 301/401's
are to sewing machines? A solid, versatile, all metal, gear driven,
unbreakable machine that will work on both light and heavy fabrics,
and that I'll be handing down to my kids/grandkids?

Is there a FAQ for choosing a serger, like there is for choosing a
sewing machine?

Thanks!

Malcolm - (pleased with his new 401, but having to take his 431 to the
shop due to damage in shipment)

Hi Malcolm,

I have a GlobeLock M-34... I haven't seen many of these for sale and for
good reason! It runs like a dream. I just picked one up for my MIL two
days ago and I purchased a M-34a for my sister last year. They both love
these machines (my MIL owned my one before I did and regrets selling it to
me so I have been looking out for one to get for her as a pressie )
Noteworthy is that my FIL & MIL used to own a Bernina Sewing Centre so I'm
sticking with this machine.

Can't help with the faq though....

HTH

Mavis

Old March 19th 04, 08:56 PM
Pogonip

Malcolm Spann wrote:

Malcolm - (pleased with his new 401, but having to take his 431 to the
shop due to damage in shipment)

Oh, sad news! That's the major problem with buying
machines on eBay or online rummage sales - the sellers
don't always take the trouble to find out how to pack a
machine. I hope the damage is minor and fixable!!!

Graham Forsdyke sends lots of Featherweights to the U.S.,
and has packing down to a fine science. His test is to
drop the package 6 feet onto a cement loading dock. His
machines are packed to survive that intact.
--

Joanne @ stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us
http://bernardschopen.tripod.com/

Old March 19th 04, 11:44 PM
Taria

I love my Bernette 334ds. One repair in about 15 years
and I use it a lot. (and it needed the repair due to
operator erroe)
401's are wonderful. Did you know the 500 is the same
machine with updated styling?
Taria

Old March 20th 04, 06:56 AM
BEI Design

Taria wrote:
I love my Bernette 334ds. One repair in about 15 years
and I use it a lot. (and it needed the repair due to
operator erroe)
401's are wonderful. Did you know the 500 is the same
machine with updated styling?
Taria

I have a Bernette MO234 serger, which I bought used several years ago,
and I've thrown everything at it. I love it, and will keep it as a
back-up to the Huskylock 910 I just acquired (I really _needed_ the
differential feed!).

However, I really dislike the added gizmos they added to the threading
path of the 501s, just before the tension disks. For some reason,
with both of my 501s, the needle thread occasionally gets caught in
the bobbin race, and I have yet to figure out the problem, except that
if I omit those two extra threading hooks, it doesn't seem to be as
bad. I have pretty much put the 501s out to pasture, and bought a
second 401A.

--
Beverly
---to reply, delete no spam and .invalid---

Old March 20th 04, 10:22 PM

What's the server equivalent to a Singer 301/401?

(Malcolm=A0Spann)
Is there a serger that is the equivalent to what the Singer 301/401's
are to sewing machines? A solid, versatile, all metal, gear driven,
unbreakable machine that will work on both light and heavy fabrics, and
that I'll be handing down to my kids/grandkids?
---
Malcolm,
From what I have read, all home-type sergers are durable and
reliable, whatever the maker. They are made for hard wear and use. You
might want to access past group posts on sergers; we regularly have
debates about the merits of different makers.
Different models do have varying abilities, though--the newest use
air-threading, some have differential feed, some have three threads,
some four, some five. Of these, you can, depending upon the application,
opt to use only two threads; (for a less bulky seam finish--good on
swimwear, lingerie, etc) three threads, etc.
On some of the older models, you have to unscrew the face plate and
insert an overedge plate to perform the rolled hem function. I have two
older models which require this.
My babylock, however, requires the turn of a few knobs--much faster,
and hassle-free. My BL is about 15 years old, and has been, on the
whole, maintenance-free. I keep it clean and oiled, grease it, and
frequently change the cutting blade. The couple of times it has been in
the shop were because I got impatient and jerked the timing awry.
Anyway, you can see from this that sergers, like sewing machines,
continue to evolve, with added features to make them simpler to use.
Also, you can occasionally find old industrial sergers on the
secondhand market, and most of the oldies go on forever.
---
Is there a FAQ for choosing a serger, like there is for choosing a
sewing machine?
---
Threads magazine have several good comparison articles/ charts in
back issues; you might be able to access them online, and, if you go to
www.lilyabello.com, and scroll down to the bottom of the listings, there
is a new index of the magazines available online, to make tracking an
article easier.
Also, some of the books written about serger use are helpful: there is
the 'Know Your Babylock' 'K.Y. Bernina' etc., series--which many
libraries carry.
Any of the small, excellent books by Gail Brown, Patti Palmer, et al,
contain a lot of good serger buying info. HTH.
Cea