stained glass reinforcement for big DUMMY

Old May 31st 05, 02:32 AM
glassguru2

Default stained glass reinforcement for big DUMMY

I JUST MADE MY FIRST PIECE OF STAINED GLASS USING COPPER FOIL TAPE AND
50/50 LEAD SOLDER. THERE ARE OVER 80 PIECES OF VARIOUS SIZES. THE PIECE
IS W = 16.5 inches H = 31"
The piece is to go inside a very busy bathroom cabinet door. The wood
door was cut to leave a 2-2.5" frame and a 1/4" track groove. Even
once it''s glazed I'm scared it will not withstand the constant openning
and closing of the door. Please help me! What are "H cames" and since
it's already built is it too late to use them? What about "restripping?"

Old May 31st 05, 03:26 AM
glassguru2

So, maybe most people have better things to do on the holiday than worry
about the towel cupboard...c'mon artisians, show me some love!

Old May 31st 05, 03:38 AM
glassguru2

ha

Old May 31st 05, 04:55 AM
nJb

glassguru2 wrote:

So, maybe most people have better things to do on the holiday than worry
about the towel cupboard...c'mon artisians, show me some love!

Have patience, they'll be here.

--
Jack

bobo1148atxmissiondotcom

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/xmissionbobo/
Old May 31st 05, 01:06 PM
Javahut

"glassguru2" wrote in message
lkaboutcrafting.com...
I JUST MADE MY FIRST PIECE OF STAINED GLASS USING COPPER FOIL TAPE AND
50/50 LEAD SOLDER. THERE ARE OVER 80 PIECES OF VARIOUS SIZES. THE PIECE
IS W = 16.5 inches H = 31"
The piece is to go inside a very busy bathroom cabinet door. The wood
door was cut to leave a 2-2.5" frame and a 1/4" track groove. Even
once it''s glazed I'm scared it will not withstand the constant openning
and closing of the door. Please help me! What are "H cames" and since
it's already built is it too late to use them? What about "restripping?"

H-cames are what you build the window/panel "with", won't help now unless
you want to rebuild it. and some folks suggest adding "zinc" came around
the edge, also will not do a thing for you.

What DO you have around the edge? Should have some sort of h came there to
contain everything inside the panel.

I would suggest the re-strip soldered to the back of the panel like a "fin",
do that in several places top to bottom- left to right etc, and it should
strengthen it, but a panel that size is not particularly vulnerable to flex
and breakage.

The best and easiest solution is to let the other people in the house
realize they need to have alittle added respect for the cabinet door now.

Old May 31st 05, 04:14 PM
Michele Blank

i use foil all the time. You need to frame the panel with 3/8 U zinc came
(or brass). The number of pieces suggests there is enough detail to give you
the structural support you need but the design is also a factor. Restrip
will not help at this point, it goes inside the lead line. You could solder
bars or rods across the back but it looks ugly! Try a spring closure so the
door can't be slammed or even a piece of clear glass (tempered) to the
inside so it can't move inwards when slammed. m

Old May 31st 05, 07:06 PM

It doesn't matter how much reinforcement you use...if the door gets
slammed, just the force of it getting slammed may break a piece of
glass. Better to let it have just a bit of give than for it to be too
stiff. As someone else mentioned, perhaps a couple of strips of restrip
soldered like a fin may just work.

Andy

Old June 1st 05, 01:48 AM
Glassman

"glassguru2" wrote in message
lkaboutcrafting.com...
I JUST MADE MY FIRST PIECE OF STAINED GLASS USING COPPER FOIL TAPE AND
50/50 LEAD SOLDER. THERE ARE OVER 80 PIECES OF VARIOUS SIZES. THE PIECE
IS W = 16.5 inches H = 31"
The piece is to go inside a very busy bathroom cabinet door. The wood
door was cut to leave a 2-2.5" frame and a 1/4" track groove. Even
once it''s glazed I'm scared it will not withstand the constant openning
and closing of the door. Please help me! What are "H cames" and since
it's already built is it too late to use them? What about "restripping?"

If you made it right. (grinded the edges so the foil stuck well)...
sounds to me like it will last long after you've paid up the mortgage.

--
JK Sinrod
Sinrod Stained Glass Studios

Old June 1st 05, 07:01 PM

Maybe not if he's got an interest only loan! LOL

andy

Stained Glass Book searobin5319 Glass 5 April 23rd 04 12:20 PM
For those who want to know.. Making Beach Glass With Your Tumbler! Harry Beads 7 December 22nd 03 08:19 PM
Large Sized Stained Glass Greg DeBacker Glass 8 August 20th 03 03:30 PM
FA: $5.00The Technique of Stained Glass Elric of Imrryr Marketplace 0 July 30th 03 03:53 AM
Old glass receipts Matthew Spong Glass 0 July 4th 03 01:06 PM