Adventures in translation

Old July 31st 03, 10:53 AM
Kandice Seeber

Default Adventures in translation

snicker I *so* want to meet this child of perfection!!! You guys
are both such a kick. I really enjoy reading about you!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

DD and I have been writing back and forth via email while she's away.

Today,
she wanted to know the German word for cheater. Apparently, she's been
playing cards with my favorite aunt, and has been losing her jellybeans,

big
time. (They play for candy) I wrote her back, saying that I won't give

her
the word, because the translation of cheat is almost identical to the
translation for sh*t.

I've been caught saying the wrong word more than once, and advised DD to
cheat back, rather than saying anything. I got an evil laugh in return,
because DD is _really good_ at cheating while playing cards. I think she

was
just waiting for the word, and is going to enjoy playing cards for the

rest
of the trip.

--------

Today, my little troublemaker went to lunch at a German MacDonald's with

my
cousin. When asked what she wanted to drink, DD responded "Sierra Mist,"
which is a lemony type soda available here in the US. Unfortunately,

"Mist"
is the German word for manure. After getting the shocked reaction she was
hoping for, DD ordered a Coke.

She's definitely my daughter, all right.

Kathy N-V

Old July 31st 03, 06:01 PM
VManes

"Kathy N-V" wrote
snip
Today, my little troublemaker went to lunch at a German MacDonald's with my
cousin. When asked what she wanted to drink, DD responded "Sierra Mist,"
which is a lemony type soda available here in the US. Unfortunately, "Mist"
is the German word for manure. After getting the shocked reaction she was
hoping for, DD ordered a Coke.
~~~~~~~~~~

Ah, but the real fun of going to Micky D's in Germany is to have a beer with
your Big Mac!
Val
--
Bringing you BeadWizard Design Software
www.beadwizard.com

Old July 31st 03, 08:12 PM
EL

I got conscripted to translate between a bunch of German and US soldiers
once. One of the German soldiers pointed at one of the US soldiers'
markmanship medal and asked what he had won that medal for. As in English,
the German words for shoot and sh*t differ only in a vowel sound. I
intended to reply that he had received the medal because "he shoots well".
Unfortunately I managed to mangle the vowel, with the predictable result.
Much laughter and a great question, "In the US Army you get medals for
THAT?"

Elise

--
This is a post-only address.
Send replies to e_lewis AT bellsouth DOT net
.com...

Old August 1st 03, 08:59 AM
Kandice Seeber

LOL - you can also get beer out of vending machines! I got to do that
when I was in Germany with my grandparents during my junior year in high
school. I thought it was the coolest thing when Grandpa asked me to get him
a beer from the hotel vending machine. Of course, he wouldn't let me drink
it.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

snip

Old August 1st 03, 08:59 AM
Kandice Seeber

snicker Oh, no!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

I got conscripted to translate between a bunch of German and US soldiers
once. One of the German soldiers pointed at one of the US soldiers'
markmanship medal and asked what he had won that medal for. As in English,
the German words for shoot and sh*t differ only in a vowel sound. I
intended to reply that he had received the medal because "he shoots well".
Unfortunately I managed to mangle the vowel, with the predictable result.
Much laughter and a great question, "In the US Army you get medals for
THAT?"

Elise

--
This is a post-only address.
Send replies to e_lewis AT bellsouth DOT net
(with the obvious corrections)
.com...