OT facebook temper, temper!

Old January 10th 12, 05:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default OT facebook temper, temper!

I was skeptical and cynical about facebook. Our grands signed me on during
the Christmas Day get-together. They didn't give my real name or address or
birthday but did give my email address un/whatever-ed.
Tonight I was reading book reviews for a book and just all of a sudden
on the book review website, there popped up MY picture ( now my picture is
not my pretty face but a photo of some quilts we shipped to NewBorns in Need
recently) and asked if I would like to comment on fb.
Just as I was afraid of. The 'membership' with Facebook allows any
website to track where I go.
It's not a matter of saying something personal. I'm not going to do
that.
It makes me very angry that Facebook either opens up or tosses about my
email address and (could be) picture/identity to EVERYONE.
As best can be done, I will remove me from fb. If I have to take my
computer out and let the gators nest it in and change my email address to a
happy new name like Ima Dummy, I can do that. We hardly have any privacy
left but I'll just be dipped if I'll let fb profit,stalk or shadow and SHARE
where I go.
In the general scheme of things, it IS a big deal. Polly . . . or
maybe Ima Notta Dummy at a new address.

Old January 10th 12, 05:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Di Maloney[_3_]

I sympathise with you Polly.

I joined so that I could keep up with my nephew when he went to the USA, I
have had some stuff sent to me until I realised that I hadn't made my email
privste which I promptly did. Too late for me though, and it looks like it
is for you too.

Unless it is a message from a relative, I just delete every other
request/message/or whatever they are trying to sell/tell me about.

I hate facebook - it's a curse on society.

I think you can go into facebook and change your email address to whatever
you want to - I'm going to do that and hopefully wont get any more from
facelessbook.

Di

Old January 10th 12, 05:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Thank you, Di. I was needing sympathy and I can change my email address.
( with adult supervision, of course.) BUT - it wasn't the incoming junk
that was hitting me, it was the Very Notion that there was a fb connection
between where I wandered, shopped, asked . . . just a book review but it
might have been looking for a cure for something quite personal like an
occluded polyp in my left nostril and there's the whole internet pouncing in
and publishing it? Nope. Enough. Ima/Polly

Old January 10th 12, 02:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nana.Wilson

Oh! Polly! The group does specify that it is an open group & that means
that ANYONE can see it!! I don't give out any thing that I don't want the
WORLD ta see!! I have noticed that since I have medicare they have sold or
given my name to others that I didn't!! It is just a sin ta prey on OLDER
people like they do!

Nana soap box mode off

Old January 10th 12, 04:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AllisonH

I have to say that a big problem with FB is that their default setting
are wide open. However it IS possible to shut things down.
For example, I checked details on my FB page settings and Polly what you
are noticing is "instant personalization". The default is ON. To turn
it OFF:
click on the small triangle in the upper right blue bar
click on Privacy settings
click on the "edit settings" box beside "instant Personalization"
uncheck the box

FWIW you can also go through the privacy other settings and set
everything to "friends only". This shuts things down pretty well.

Another useful feature to edit is under "Account settings".
Click on "notifications" and unselect all the email notifications. This
prevents your mailbox from filling up because people have commented on
our wonderful quilts.

Some younger folk are comfortable with having their bazillion friends
know where they are and what they are doing at all moments of the day.
I'm not so I adjust FB accordingly. Then I can enjoy the good parts of
the social network.

HTH

Allison

Old January 10th 12, 06:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jo Gibson[_3_]

On 10/01/2012 05:00, Polly Esther wrote:
[...]

Look at it this way - you wouldn't go do yardwork out in your front yard
in your best suit, would you? Anything you put on the internet is
pretty fair game these days. You can set your security settings quite
high in Facebook - ask your grands for help, or just have a poke around
on "settings". I have made a "throw-away" email address for Facebook,
which is the one I give out anytime I want to sign up for a competition
or leave a comment on a blog or whatever. It's a Yahoo address, but I
reckon you could make one on Gmail or Hotmail or whatever tickles your
fancy. You can just get rid of it when it is hacked or filled with spam
or you tire of it.... the way you would throw out your ripped stained
blue jeans after a couple of years of cleaning drains, digging weeds,
etc. Your best personal, private email should stay just between friends
and not used for stuff like Facebook.

Mind you, any comments on this group or any other Usenet groups are out
there forever, so you might already know all this.....

-- Jo in Scotland

Old January 10th 12, 09:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne in DK

Am I the only member od the FB group who can now not see anything on the
wall - empty wall?

Hanne in DK

Den 10-01-2012 23:11, J* skrev:
the RCTQ group on Facebook has now been changed to a 'closed' group by our
Tammy.
so we can all start revealing our secrets and feel safe no one outside the
group can read them.
big Thank You to Tammy for being so quick today.
cheers,
j.

"Polly Esther" wrote ...

Old January 10th 12, 09:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne in DK

Scratch that - it is working for me again. No idea what happened there,
but it was sure weird to post to a space I couldn't read...

Hanne in DK

Old January 10th 12, 09:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Usually I can communicate well enough that what I say is perfectly clear.
This time I missed. At risk of boring everyone including myself, please let
me try again.
I was online reading the big city newspapers' book reviews. At one of
the newspaper sites, my facebk picture popped up with the question: Would I
like to comment on the book?
That shows me that the newspaper's website KNEW who I was because my
email address is hooked up to facebk. Polly

Old January 10th 12, 10:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne in DK

Den 10-01-2012 22:54, Polly Esther skrev:
Usually I can communicate well enough that what I say is perfectly
clear. This time I missed. At risk of boring everyone including myself,
please let me try again.
I was online reading the big city newspapers' book reviews. At one of
the newspaper sites, my facebk picture popped up with the question:
Would I like to comment on the book?
That shows me that the newspaper's website KNEW who I was because my
email address is hooked up to facebk. Polly

Polly,

I don't think it was because of your email. Rather, FB has a "feature"
whereby they will push your id to websites that put a little FB program
on the webpage, and this is how the connection is made.

Someone else posted further up the thread how you can turn that off.

Incidentally, I don't (even after several years) get spam email on my fb
email account (which is only used for fb), so the email address is
pretty safe (provided you set all your privacy settings as tight as
possible - mine are all "friends only").

I still think having a closed group is fine, but that is unrelated to
your problem, you're right.

Hanne in DK

Now no Facebook Sunny[_2_] Quilting 3 August 12th 11 01:18 AM
FACEBOOK OT R. E. Wicker Quilting 9 June 14th 10 06:51 AM
Facebook Karen C - Calif Needlework 3 December 11th 09 02:46 PM
Facebook [email protected] Quilting 1 September 15th 09 03:22 PM
Correct Temper for Cutting 14K Gold jcd Jewelry 8 January 27th 04 08:42 AM