Yo-yo makers?

Old August 7th 10, 02:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jo Gibson[_2_]

Default Yo-yo makers?

I bought a pattern that calls for 3 different sizes of "Clover yo-yo
makers" in order to finish it. A quick check reveals that these would
cost $20 and that is before shipping. Now, I remember my mother making
yo-yos from circles she traced around various glasses and saucers in the
cupboard either onto fabric or cardboard. Please tell me that this is
easy, and I needn't spent $20? Is it easy to work out the finished
dimensions? If I need a yo-yo that finishes at 1 3/4 inches, surely I
cut it out at 4 inches (1 3/4 times 2, plus 1/4 seam allowance all the
way around?

I have enough gadgets and I am afraid that after purchasing these yo-yo
makers that I would not use them again.

While we're at it, what is the best way to make pom-poms?

-- Jo in Scotland
Old August 7th 10, 02:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dee in Oz[_3_]

Well Jo, thats exactly what I would do ( add 1/4" to the desired finished
size)

I made yos-yos that way before I saw yo-yo makers for sale and can't see the
point in buying one now.

Dee in Oz

Old August 7th 10, 03:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Beginning with a 4" square sounds good to me. It may be a little too big
but there's not much lost starting there. A couple of tips - it doesn't
particularly matter what color thread you use because it shouldn't show
anyway - And - don't take wee tiny neat little gathering stitches. The
yo-yo will gather up tighter if your stitches around are just a bit longer
than you think would work best. Use a strong thread; you must tug on it
fiercely to get a pretty gather.
We saw a wonderful necklace at a quilt show that was created with yo-yos
about ½" in diameter. It was just so precious. For that, you might need a
'maker' or if you go somewhat mad and make a kingsize quilt of them. Other
than that, save your $20. We'll want pictures. Polly

"Dee in Oz"
Well Jo, thats exactly what I would do ( add 1/4" to the desired finished
size)

I made yos-yos that way before I saw yo-yo makers for sale and can't see
the point in buying one now.

Dee in Oz

"Jo Gibson" I bought a pattern that calls for 3 different sizes of

Old August 7th 10, 03:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Jo, people like me need those gadgets. I have three sizes. I can't for
the life of me make a yoyo without the gadget. if you can, then you
can make any size without worries. Have fun,
Sunny
Old August 7th 10, 04:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Save the money. You might need a gadget to make heart-shaped yoyos
-saw something like that in a magazine. But even that could be fudged
out of a regular circle.

For pompoms, you can make your own gadget. Cut 2 circles out of stiff
card or template plastic. Diameter a smidgen larger than the diameter
of the finished pompom. Cut a smaller circle out of the center (i.e.
make a doughnut), and cut a little opening wide enough for your yarn.
Sandwich the 2 circles together with a double strand of yarn between
them. then wrap yarn around as evenly as possible, until you can't fit
any more on. This is a bit tricky, because you have to maintain the
little opening into the center of the doughnut, without losing your
extra double strand of yarn. When you have enough, tighten up the
double strand of yarn and hang onto it. Cut around the rim of your
doughnut between the 2 circles. then tie the yarn very tightly around
the middle. Remove the circles, fluff it up, give it a tidy haircut,
and you're done!
Roberta in D

Old August 11th 10, 04:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

Jo Gibson wrote:

While we're at it, what is the best way to make pom-poms?

Can't really comment on the yo-yo makers, but I'm sure the simple cheap
method will work just fine.

As to pompoms - I succumbed and got a clover pom-pom maker last time I
was making bobble hats. It is easier to use, as you wind each half
separately and then cut and tie while it is all on the gizmo. I
personally find I get a result that needs less of a haircut than when I
use two cardboard circles. These seem to be fairly easily available.

YMMV, NAYY

Lizzy

PS You can borrow my pompom things if you like - send me your snail mail
addy if you want to try them out.

Denver Makers judyanna Quilting 0 May 19th 09 06:10 PM
Wonder Wallet Makers Patti S Quilting 0 September 18th 07 04:32 PM
Any Button/Badge Makers Out There? Bonnie Carroll General Crafting 0 November 15th 04 07:01 PM
Looking for lampshades makers Leontine General Crafting 0 March 18th 04 08:24 PM
Looking For Pottery Makers Planters' Dreams Pottery 0 August 5th 03 12:18 AM