Big Quilt - Ack!

Old April 16th 11, 08:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anna Belle[_2_]

Default Big Quilt - Ack!

And I am about an hour south of Orlando and we have one too many
freezes last winter. Had to replace a lot of vegetation. Haven't had
to do that since we left the north very often. Yep, it gets COLD. We
wear winter coats to walk in the early mornings during the winter
months.
Anna Belle in Palm Bay

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 12:18:00 -0400, "Bobbie Sews More"
wrote:

Forgot to say that I use an electric blanket during the winter and quilted
spreads. Our lows are in the high 30's - low 40's. I keep heavy jackets in
FL, and wear sweatshirts & jeans. Northern FL will have a few freezes, as
will central FL and will freeze strawberries, lettuce and orange trees. I am
an hour N of Orlando. Yep! He will love his warm quilt!
Barbara, back in cool SC
"IEZ" wrote in message
.. .

"Bobbie Sews More" wrote in message
m...
I'm in SC during the summer and Central FL during the winter. We have a
lot of cold spells, and Tallahassee gets colder. He probably will get
good use of his new quilt! Good luck with getting it finished!
Barbara in SC---Home

Really? Thanks, it helps to know that!

Iris

Old April 16th 11, 09:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I wandered over to ebay to see what the Janome Horizon looked like. They
didn't have the SM to sell but there were some tables designed to fit. Wow.
That Horizon is just pure purdy. I'd like to play with it a while. Taking
her on a long trip to get the needle set dead center might be a pain but you
just as well get on with it. A hefty whack with a hammer might do it but I
can't recommend such a desperate manner. C'mon now, go get that treasure
fixed just right. And brag to us: how wide a stitch can she do? Polly

"Alice in PA" wrote in message
I made one of the Boxy Star quilts too. I don't remember the exact size,
but it's bigger than a twin. You can see it he
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...94495901adJEWM I
quilted it on my Babylock Quest which has a fairly large harp, but not as
large as your machine. You can do it!

--
Alice in PA
http://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu
"IEZ" wrote in message
I mostly make quillows, along with a few wall quilts of widely varying
sizes. A month ago, I was visiting my son and I noticed that the quilt I
had made him eight or nine years ago was looking a little tatty. Of
course it might just need a good laundering (he's a bachelor grad student
going on to a phD program next fall). However, at one point during the
visit, he mentioned that he'd like a new quilt "dark green with maybe some
music fabric."

So I've started making the blocks for a large queen size quilt for him.
I'm using Bonnie Hunter's Boxy Star pattern
http://quiltville.com/boxystars.shtml

I have to say that I'm not looking forward to this as much as I should
be! I haven't wrestled a big quilt (It'll probably be close to 100x100")
through my machine in a long time, and even pinning the sandwich will be
hard work that I'm not used to. So I've been procrastinating like crazy.
Even DH noticed that I've been avoiding the sewing room! I used a
standard harp machine on the last big quilt and now I have a Janome
Horizon, so it should be easier.

So what's my problem, I want to know. Getting busy today I think. Oh,
one other thing - after considering Bowling Green in Ohio, and U of Texas
El Paso, he's decided to go to Florida State University in
Tallahassee....so he might not have a lot of use for this quilt anyway!

Iris

Old April 16th 11, 10:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IEZ[_2_]

"Alice in PA" wrote in message
I made one of the Boxy Star quilts too. I don't remember the exact size,
but it's bigger than a twin. You can see it he
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...94495901adJEWM I
quilted it on my Babylock Quest which has a fairly large harp, but not as
large as your machine. You can do it!

I like the border on that! I just might steal that idea if you don't mind.

Sandy, I did one big quilt on my standard Bernina - in fact I think it's the
one he has now. It's just the thought of fabric wrestling that's daunting.
I did try quilt as you go once or so, but I had problems with the backing
being neat, or something - I don't quite remember.

Polly, if I thought the hammer whack would do it, I'd be tempted.
Apparently it's an easy fix for a tech, but there may not be one there to do
it while I wait, so I'm planning to take it in before I go on vacation next
month. They can take their time with it! I think the harp is 11" or
something, and it really does help. I haven't really gotten into the
decorative stitches yet, but I think the feed dogs are 7 mm.

And I sure am surprised at hearing how many folks get really cold in
Florida! Winter coats, Anna Belle! Wow!

Iris

Old April 17th 11, 02:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nana.Wilson

"IEZ" wrote in message

"Alice in PA" wrote in message
[...]

We are in Florida the last week of January til about the first week of
March. And I have had to wear my winter coat there too. We stay near
Daytona.

Nana Now in north eastern U.S.

Old April 17th 11, 12:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Hey Nana, are you in the Deland area?
Barbara in Eustis, near Leesburg and 30 minues from Deland during the
Winter. That's an hour inland from Daytona, FL.

Old April 17th 11, 01:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anna Belle[_2_]

Alice,
We have a sort of rescue dog. Cocker, Poodle mix. We walk in the
areas of 6:00 & 7:00 in the morning. Usually go a mile. It was
surprising how many mornings we saw frost all over. We have been in
Florida since 1978 and I think this winter was the coldest yet.
Just don't plan on going to the beach during this weather. With the
wind added, it takes all day to get warm again.
AB

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 17:27:11 -0400, "IEZ" wrote:

.. .

Old April 17th 11, 10:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice in PA[_3_]

I'm glad you liked the border. Somewhere I learned that you should try to
repeat a part of your blocks in the border, so that's what I tried to do.
There are pictures of the border blocks in Webshots too, in case you want to
look at them.

Old April 23rd 11, 09:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nana.Wilson

"Bobbie Sews More" wrote in message
m...
Hey Nana, are you in the Deland area?
Barbara in Eustis, near Leesburg and 30 minues from Deland during the
Winter. That's an hour inland from Daytona, FL.

Barbara, I have been to Deland. Great little quilt shop there (can't
remember the name). Really pretty town.

Nana

Big Quilt Done ;-) dogmom Quilting 4 August 6th 07 03:14 PM
sleeve on big quilt Lobo Quilting 3 July 23rd 07 09:07 PM
My first big quilt But!!!!!!!!!!! Shirley Shone Quilting 49 March 16th 07 12:45 PM
basting a big quilt Darlene Quilting 25 June 13th 06 03:35 PM
First big quilt - machinequilting Uschi Quilting 9 May 29th 05 08:06 PM