OT genealogy

Old August 10th 10, 03:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathyl

Default OT genealogy

Are there any online sites to do census searches that are free? Or
even good research sites that are free. It seems like everything I
find is a subscription. I don't want that at this time. I want to
build a simple tree for right now and at my leisure. I would feel
compelled to drop everything and work on it if I had a "limited 30
free subscription". I just want to dabble. Any ideas? Thanks!
Old August 10th 10, 04:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

On Aug 10, 10:41*am, Kathyl wrote:
Are there any online sites to do census searches that are free? *Or
even good research sites that are free. *It seems like everything I
find is a subscription. *I don't want that at this time. *I want to
build a simple tree for right now and at my leisure. *I would feel
compelled to drop everything and work on it if I had a "limited 30
free subscription". *I just want to dabble. *Any ideas? *Thanks!

Kathyl,
Try Genforum.com and rootsweb.com for starters. There are also
various state sites that are free. Try googling with genealogy and
your state. I believe there are also links in rootsweb to some of the
various state sites. You can also google Church of the Latter Day
Saints - they have lots of info. I also believe cyndislist.com is
also free and has many links to various other sites.

I'm like you - want to dabble when the mood/time strikes and I hate
paying for this stuff. DH's family is well documented locally so
there's quite a bit of stuff there. Mine - not so much.

Good luck - it can be very interesting and fun.

Kim in steamy (again) NJ
Old August 10th 10, 06:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
ME-Judy[_6_]

You've already been given some great sites.
Another good site for states/local areas is www.usgenweb.com You click
on a state and then look at all the options from within the state.... some
areas have census/"yellowpages" type info, some have local cemetery info,
etc.
ME-Judy (another genealogy nut)

Old August 10th 10, 11:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

"Kathyl" wrote in message

Are there any online sites to do census searches that are free? *Or
even good research sites that are free. *It seems like everything I
find is a subscription. *I don't want that at this time. *I want to
build a simple tree for right now and at my leisure. *I would feel
compelled to drop everything and work on it if I had a "limited 30
free subscription". *I just want to dabble. *Any ideas? *Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

Judy,
Thanks for the reminder - I forgot about that one!

Kim in NJ
Old August 11th 10, 02:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathyl

"Kathyl" wrote in message

Are there any online sites to do census searches that are free? *Or
even good research sites that are free. *It seems like everything I
find is a subscription. *I don't want that at this time. *I want to
build a simple tree for right now and at my leisure. *I would feel
compelled to drop everything and work on it if I had a "limited 30
free subscription". *I just want to dabble. *Any ideas? *Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

Judy,
Thanks for the reminder - I forgot about that one!

Kim in NJ

Thanks everyone! That ought to keep me busy. I can see how this
hobby can become a compulsion and I'm not ready to be that involved
yet so I didn't want to subscribe to a research site. Thanks again!
KJ
Old August 11th 10, 01:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nann

Sure! The library.

At ZBPL we have 24/7 access to HeritageQuest and inhouse access to
Ancestry.com. HQ includes all of the census. I've found some
relatives my husband didn't know he had.

I did a quick search of your library' site, Kathyl (nice website, BTW)
-- I don't see HQ, but I didn't poke very far. I'd call the reference
desk and inquire. Or even better, stop in in person. (Libraries are
cool inside on these hot days.)

Nann
who needs to get going to her day job @ www.zblibrary.org

Old August 15th 10, 12:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Megan Zurawicz[_3_]

Check to see if your local library offers Heritage Quest access via their
website....or if they have a library subscription (must be used at the
library, not online) to Ancestry.

--pig

On 8/10/10 10:41 AM, in article
, "Kathyl"