Ping Nel, Gadget Queen

Old August 13th 10, 11:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

Default Ping Nel, Gadget Queen now: SORTED!

Bogod's is the importer into the UK of Bernina sewing machines.

When I bought the machine, I was told it would be future-proof. That
was really something none of us, to be fair, could promise. We didn't
realise then that computers would change so rapidly again. It was the
communications cable that thwarted me originally. The sewing machine
has a serial port and laptops only have USB. The adapters that do
exist don't work with the Bernina.

I thought I would never be able to do the embroidery stuff again, but
with the '98 desktop that I found, I thought I had a chance. Now I
think I have. If I can get connectivity, I can start to download
patterns from the internet and transfer them to the machine. The only
other route would be to buy very expensive cards to do it. I can't
see why they cost so much, but everything Bernina (or Viking, or the
others for that matter) sells seems to cost megabucks.

I don't do much decorative sewing, but if I have a gadget, I at least
want it to do what it was built to do, not just sit there like a lump
of coal!

I wouldn't really have dumped it; I couldn't have afforded to replace
it, anyway. But I did object, greatly, to the saleperson who
suggested that 10 years old was ancient for a sewing machine, and what
could I expect? That erked me big style! It does when my washing
machine engineer suggests the same thing; and don't even get me on to
irons and televisions!!!

All's (potentially) well that ends well.

Nel
(GQ)
Old August 14th 10, 03:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Meanwhile . . . back to the bonnet ( I was too irked about the attitude that
a 10 year-old SM was history to notice the bonnet.)
The bonnet is so very lovely. I make a few every year for the babies
and it never crossed my mind that white embroidery on a white bonnet could
be just so very beautiful. Thank you so much for a special idea. Polly

Old August 14th 10, 01:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Considering how many of us are stitching happily and trouble-free on
machines older than our grannies, I'd be annoyed too! Why shouldn't
modern machines be at least as good as the antiques? sure, we want
bells and whistles, but why should that equal rapid obsolescence?
Roberta in D

(clipped)