Query about glass cutting

Old January 18th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default Query about glass cutting

So, this FREE glass?

yes

Why is it free?

because it was given to me. The reason it was given to me is because I
helped out the person who previously owned it. I offered them assistance
and advice with no expectation of any financial reward. They were in my
office and overheard a discussion about windows and made me what appears
to be a very good offer.

Scrap from some other glazier, seconds from a manufacturer?
My experience is that if something is free,
the donor is getting exactly what it is worth.
If it was first quality
goods, they would be selling it. Or, you are stealing it?

That last question says a lot doesn't it?

Old January 18th 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Sure it can be done but if I were you I would get out of building and be
a glass wholesaler.

I have enough glass for all 87 windows. I don't mind paying someone
labour for their work(it looks like I may be getting the work done in
exchange for an Aussie holiday so that's a win/win in my book). As you
can probably imagine I want to save some money by not purchasing
something that I already have in spades.

Old January 18th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Who is being the dick?

obviously I was OK
Old January 18th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"Mr.McSpanky" Mr.McSpanky@houseof-MrHanky wrote in message
Sure it can be done but if I were you I would get out of building and be
a glass wholesaler.

I have enough glass for all 87 windows. I don't mind paying someone
labour for their work(it looks like I may be getting the work done in
exchange for an Aussie holiday so that's a win/win in my book). As you
can probably imagine I want to save some money by not purchasing
something that I already have in spades.

Now we know more, and more is better.

I, although a traveling glass guy, am not coming to SA to do this, but you,
or some unemployed local guy, can do this with only a bit of practice, so
sacrifice one hunk, maybe something already broken, to practice on.

Do you have the jambs/frames for the glass to go in? Do you have everything
for the windows except the glass? Talk to one of the local glaziers
employees and have him teach you lad a bit of the technique needed to cut
them into panes.
From this position behind my desk, I have no idea how these panes will need
to be set into the frames, but none, of this is tough to do, merely time
consuming.

If I were in your position, I would spend an afternoon, sitting in my car
near enough to see the local glaziers boys leaving shop, (the owner sets the
rules, the employees always can use an extra dollar whatever that looks
like), catch him at a traffic light, offer to buy him a pint and tell him
your dilemma, maybe you can get it done on an off day.

Now isn't this an easier way to get an answer. and for a ticket over, a
place to stay, and a couple extra dollars, I'll still do it, but not naked,
that wouldn't be a pretty sight.

Old January 18th 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"Javahut" wrote in message
Now isn't this an easier way to get an answer. and for a ticket over, a
place to stay, and a couple extra dollars, I'll still do it, but not

naked,
that wouldn't be a pretty sight.

Have you noticed Michelle has stayed out of the naked glass cutting
discussion? Drat.

Old January 18th 06, 06:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default Query about glass cutting/my refusal of a like request

Mr.McSpanky wrote:

I would never consider getting someone out to cut glass that wasn't
cleaned and setup ready for their work and I certainly don't blame you
for not wanting to do it considering your scenario.
I understand my limitations as far as expertise and time go and will
employ someone to make and install all of the windows. I had assumed
that if I could provide the glass (good quality, large sheets, not
stolen, and free) onsite then I might be able to save some money while
still making it worth the while of the window maker/installer.
Quite frankly, I have found that not many 'professional' types seem to
be interested and I suspect that is mainly due to their abilities
stretching as far as installing mass produced precut aluminum framed
windows and anything else is beyond a lot of their abilities.
That isn't a dig at glaziers in general as I know there are a lot of
capable people out there they just don't seem to exist in SA.
As it stands we are probably going to bring some guys out from the UK
that have worked with us before.

Part of the problem is that a glazier with plenty of work doesn't need
you because part of his profit is his markup on the glass he sells you.
Now if you can find a glazier in need of work you can probably strike a
good deal. As Javahut suggested, finding somebody who works in a glazing
shop and would like to pick up a few extra bucks on the weekend is a
good bet.

Tell us more about this "Aussie Holiday" thing.

--
Jack

bobo1148atxmissiondotcom

http://www.glassartguild.com/gallery/jack_bowman
Old January 18th 06, 08:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"Mr.McSpanky" Mr.McSpanky@houseof-MrHanky wrote in message

For the right price I'd cut glass in Seberia......... naked. We alll

have
our price.

please post pictures to help me decide on your contract

I've always wanted to see Australia.... and I'm a superior glass cutter.
Not to mention the fact that I was one of the few here that didn't rip your
post! Is that brown nosed enough for that RT ticket?

--
"Don't get me wrong... I'm SNARKY"
JK Sinrod

Old January 18th 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"michele" wrote in message
i wonder if thongs are legal in Australia? I'm up for a holiday...... m

If you are gonna be working in a thong...maybe we ought to be getting a
group rate. That lime green thong will certainly attract lots of attention.

Old January 18th 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"Moonraker" wrote in message

"michele" wrote in message
i wonder if thongs are legal in Australia? I'm up for a holiday...... m

If you are gonna be working in a thong...maybe we ought to be getting a
group rate. That lime green thong will certainly attract lots of

attention.

I hear they have a particularly nice thong in Australia called a "Wicked
Weasel" wonder if it lives up to its name, any comments, including this one
are WAYYY of topic, just wishful thinking from the land of ice and snow....