Market Opportunities for Stained Glass??

Old August 4th 05, 11:49 AM
Roody

Default Market Opportunities for Stained Glass??

Hello, all -

What are list members' thoughts about the best way(s) to sell stained glass
pieces? And what types of S.G. do customers want to buy?

My wife is new to S.G., but her pieces are already looking very nice. Mostly
inserts for windows and cabinet doors. We're wondering what are the best
sales venues - galleries? flea markets? consignment?

Thanx,
Chuck M.

Old August 4th 05, 04:06 PM
Javahut

"Roody" wrote in message
.com...
Hello, all -

What are list members' thoughts about the best way(s) to sell stained

glass
pieces? And what types of S.G. do customers want to buy?

My wife is new to S.G., but her pieces are already looking very nice.

Mostly
inserts for windows and cabinet doors. We're wondering what are the best
sales venues - galleries? flea markets? consignment?

Thanx,
Chuck M.

Unlike my blunt , top posting friend.....I believe everyone has a right to
earn a living doing whatever they want, the marketplace will sort it out.
Having said that.....depends on the stuff she is doing and the price range
she is in.

If her stuff is unique, highly artistic, and she wants to deal with the
clientele of Artist's market, apply to the ACC shows, and sell to the
galleries and the gift markets.
Her stuff is OK in originality but not highly artistic, and want to market
locally, do the art fairs.
Both of the above assumes she is designing her own stuff, NO patterns from
books, NO bevel clusters made in third world countries. All totally
original work.

If the above doesn't apply, then sell thru the local gift stores and kitchen
shops, if they will do it, consignment work is OK, but not the best way to
go. You as vendor , take the biggest risk , and gain the least.

If her stuff is small and cutesy, do the flea markets, seems to draw that
crowd...

You have to do the same research as everyone else has done, but something
you must NOT do cut your price just to be under the other guys price.
EVERYONE loses then. Match or go higher, everyone wins then.

Old August 4th 05, 05:30 PM

The best money in stained glass is in repairs and commissions.

Old August 5th 05, 01:14 AM
Glassman

"Roody" wrote in message
.com...
Hello, all -

What are list members' thoughts about the best way(s) to sell stained

glass
pieces? And what types of S.G. do customers want to buy?

My wife is new to S.G., but her pieces are already looking very nice.

Mostly
inserts for windows and cabinet doors. We're wondering what are the best
sales venues - galleries? flea markets? consignment?

Thanx,
Chuck M.

Good luck..... this field is dying. Driven to death by all the overseas
imports.

--
JK Sinrod
Sinrod Stained Glass Studios

Old August 5th 05, 10:11 AM
Kitty

"Glassman" wrote in message

"Roody" wrote in message
.com...
Hello, all -

What are list members' thoughts about the best way(s) to sell stained

glass
pieces? And what types of S.G. do customers want to buy?

My wife is new to S.G., but her pieces are already looking very nice.

Mostly
inserts for windows and cabinet doors. We're wondering what are the best
sales venues - galleries? flea markets? consignment?

Thanx,
Chuck M.

Good luck..... this field is dying. Driven to death by all the overseas
imports.

--
JK Sinrod
Sinrod Stained Glass Studios
www.sinrodstudios.com
Coney Island Memories
www.sinrodstudios.com/coneymemories

have to agree there.....we only hope to use it as a hobby or part time
income----IF we get to retire ! I educate people as much as I can about the
"Imported" crap----and how much quality & love is built in by
craftspeople ---here & europe etc....not by an assembly line of chinese kids
making thousands of the same pcs.....maybe we could call it "fast food"
stained glass???? McGlass!!!

Kitty

Old August 5th 05, 11:25 AM
Moonraker

"Roody" wrote in message
.com...
Hello, all -

What are list members' thoughts about the best way(s) to sell stained

glass
pieces? And what types of S.G. do customers want to buy?

My wife is new to S.G., but her pieces are already looking very nice.

Mostly
inserts for windows and cabinet doors. We're wondering what are the

best
sales venues - galleries? flea markets? consignment?

Thanx,
Chuck M.

Unlike my blunt , top posting friend.....I believe everyone has a right to
earn a living doing whatever they want, the marketplace will sort it out.
Having said that.....depends on the stuff she is doing and the price range
she is in.

While I agree that everyone has a right to compete in the marketplace, what
is overlooked here is the blatant presumptiveness of the original poster,
wanting those of us who have 'paid our dues' in this business to blithely
hand out marketing information to make it easier for his beginner wife to
further muddy up the waters in an already diminishing market.

Asking "what types of S.G. do customers want to buy?" and then wanting to
know what sales venues are best shows a complete lack of understanding of
the business process. The old saying about making a better mousetrap and
the world beating a path to your door is really true. If you don't
intuitively know what products you want to make and how to market them, you
probably ought to just keep on making suncatchers and giving them to the
neighbors for Christmas presents. Your mousetrap isn't any different from
thousands of others.

And I'll just be damned if I'm going to show you how my very successful S.G.
business works...at least not for free.

Old August 5th 05, 02:22 PM
Javahut

[...]

And I agree with that point also, been paddling up that stream for a very
long time. I guess when I have been over the falls so many times I have
gotten the attitude that no matter who comes along, "they won't be here that
long" and I keep going. Nearly, but not all, in my area work from their
homes. So I'm kind of used to it, in fact, as a stress reducer, wish I
could do the same.
BUT, the marketplace will sort it out.....

Old August 5th 05, 06:54 PM
nJb

Javahut wrote:

[...]

Been working from the home for three years now. Just about to move into
an established glass studio in Salt Lake. Working at home is nice but I
think I can get more done by leaving the house and "going to work" each
day. I will certainly meet more contacts.

--
Jack

Plonked by Native American

bobo1148atxmissiondotcom

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/xmissionbobo/
Old August 6th 05, 06:43 AM

I disagree. And the complaining about imports gets old.

The guy who buys a $10 knock-off oil-painting out the back of a truck
was never going to buy a $2,500 original oil painting out of a gallery.
The same is true of glass.

If the artist adds unique value then the artist will not suffer at the
hands of cheap imports. If the artist doesn't add unique value -- and
most stained glass artists working from pattern books are little more
than cottage manufacturers -- then they are subject to being unseated
by more efficient/cheaper manufacturers.

If you make lamps then there will always be someone making lamps
cheaper. You better know why your lamps are unique and if it comes
down to a technical explanation of technique or process then you've
lost.

- Paul