OT? HELP: NON profit org. conflict.. Guild charter limitations

Old November 18th 04, 02:10 PM
mauvicem

Default OT? HELP: NON profit org. conflict.. Guild charter limitations

A question has come up in our guild.....our president wanted to give back to
the entire group for such a fine job that was done at our quilt show....so
she arranged a workshop that she has offered to guild members for
free....here is the question....we are an incorporated non-profit
organization and so one of our members pointed out that there are IRS
"admonitions"/rules about non profit organizations using group funds for the
benefit of the members only....the general thought is to offer a certain set
number of slots for the workshop for the general public and the balance to
the membership....
Has anyone had to deal with this issue in your guild or other non profit
organization? And how did you address it?

Old November 18th 04, 03:00 PM
Kate G.

I am neither a tax attorney or a CPA -- however I was the executive director
of a non-profit organization for several years. Nearly all of our funds
were used to benefit either our staff (staff trainings and salaries) or for
the parents of the children we served... or for the children themselves. We
did NOT open our seminars to the general public and the children we served
had to meet specific criteria to be eligible for the services we provided.

It was always my understanding that "not for profit" meant that no
individual or individuals gained personally (outside of salaries, etc) from
the organization.

From my experience -- offering a workshop to guild members (assuming the
workshop furthers the goals/objectives of the organization) shouldn't be a
problem.

again... not a tax attorney or cpa -- but survived many CPA audits as well
as audits by the local United Way and other organizations who provided us
with funding.

Kate in MI

Old November 18th 04, 03:12 PM
Pat in Virginia

Mauvice: You need to check in with the appropriate
agency in your state. Some regulations vary state to
state. They will of course be in agreement, or at least
in accordance, with the IRS. Also, there are NON profit
status *and* NOT FOR profit status. It is important to
be certain of the status; again regulations will vary.

PAT in VA/USA

Old November 18th 04, 04:47 PM
nbhilyard

Mauvice,
As I understand it, the "benefit" means personal gain -- that is,
money. For example, a guild with 100 members nets $10,000 on the quilt show
and the $10,000 is distributed to the members ($100 each).
Dollars to doughnuts someone in your guild is an accountant or an
attorney, or is married to someone who is one of those. Bet you can get an
opinion easily.

Nann
in northeasternmost Illinois

Old November 18th 04, 05:59 PM
NightMist

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:10:47 GMT, " mauvicem"
wrote:

A question has come up in our guild.....our president wanted to give back to
the entire group for such a fine job that was done at our quilt show....so
she arranged a workshop that she has offered to guild members for
free....here is the question....we are an incorporated non-profit
organization and so one of our members pointed out that there are IRS
"admonitions"/rules about non profit organizations using group funds for the
benefit of the members only....the general thought is to offer a certain set
number of slots for the workshop for the general public and the balance to
the membership....
Has anyone had to deal with this issue in your guild or other non profit
organization? And how did you address it?

Don't worry about it.
Seminars to improve the skills of the membership and/or it's employees
are perfectly permissable. Since you are a quilt guild, a quilting
seminar would be well in line with that.

NightMist
--
"It's such a gamble when you get a face"
- Richard Hell
Old November 18th 04, 06:51 PM
georg

mauvicem wrote:

Has anyone had to deal with this issue in your guild or other non profit
organization? And how did you address it?

I'm in the SCA. We are one of those chartered non-profit organizations
with an educational purpose. We have events *every weekend* that are
closed to the general public for the benefit of members. Last weekend,
my local group held a schola- which is nothing but classes, and it was
for members only (well, ok, some non members did come, but you had to
know about it from a member and had to meet the dress code (clothing
that looked pre-1600) so there were requirements to participate- the
average joe coming off the street was NOT permitted).

We get around it by having separate things called demonstrations where
we demonstrate to the public what we do behind closed doors. Your guild
can have a public Quilt Show, and it's about the same thing. It also
coincidentally gathers new folks into the group.

-georg
Old November 18th 04, 10:06 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
We call it "Education Day" and have one every year,
usually for just the guild members. If there's a very popular
speaker (Mary Ellen Hopkins), we open up the invitation list
and include the general quilting public. ;-)
One of our fund raising projects supports this education offering.
http://qgoa.org/
Good luck!
Have fun!
Tell some non-members about it so they'll be interested in joining
the guild. ;-D

Ragmop/Sandy--in Arlington, Texas, quilting and quilting...

Visit to a local guild DQLTS Quilting 6 November 18th 04 10:11 PM
Quilt Guild rebate Mauvice Murphy Quilting 1 February 10th 04 05:12 PM
Sister Guild Tamara Quilting 2 January 19th 04 11:44 PM
Guild Last Night Marcella Tracy Peek Quilting 3 August 22nd 03 01:49 AM
Website for my Guild Clooniff Quilting 25 August 21st 03 10:52 PM