dilemma - to felt or not to felt and other "altered art"

Old January 17th 12, 05:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

Default dilemma - to felt or not to felt and other "altered art"

On 1/17/12 5:40 AM, in article , "Karen C in
Calif" wrote:

Ellice K. wrote:

save what isn't even a full serving of some veg or the like.
And of course, what usually happens is their fridge is full of all these
little containers with bits of leftovers - margarine containers, bowls with
cling film, whatever, which then don't get used and go bad.

Which is why I periodically make Not Green Soup -- pull everything out
of the fridge and if it hasn't turned green, it goes in the crockpot.

That's pretty funny. I get it.

Ellice

Old January 18th 12, 03:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman[_2_]

On 1/16/2012 1:18 PM, Ellice K. wrote:

We have one friend where the husband does all the shopping. And he insists
on saving the teensiest little bits. It's pretty absurd - he'll get another
plate/bowl to save what isn't even a full serving of some veg or the like.
And of course, what usually happens is their fridge is full of all these
little containers with bits of leftovers - margarine containers, bowls with
cling film, whatever, which then don't get used and go bad. ...

Which puts me in mind of the old George Carlin joke: "I'm saving things
twice....first I save the food, then I save a life when the food turns
green and I throw it away!"

sue

--
Susan Hartman
Old January 18th 12, 05:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 1/17/12 9:27 PM, in article
, "Susan Hartman"
wrote:

On 1/16/2012 1:18 PM, Ellice K. wrote:

We have one friend where the husband does all the shopping. And he insists
on saving the teensiest little bits. It's pretty absurd - he'll get another
plate/bowl to save what isn't even a full serving of some veg or the like.
And of course, what usually happens is their fridge is full of all these
little containers with bits of leftovers - margarine containers, bowls with
cling film, whatever, which then don't get used and go bad. ...

Which puts me in mind of the old George Carlin joke: "I'm saving things
twice....first I save the food, then I save a life when the food turns
green and I throw it away!"

sue

Shared this with DH - who is a big George Carlin fan. Too true. Last year I
checked up on their food coop delivery while they were on vacation - getting
their fruits & veggies. When I went to put it away I ended up instead
spending about 2 hours emptying & cleaning out their fridge. From the
little containers right thru fresh stuff that was buried under newer stuff,
none of it in proper storage bags or whatever - and so turned into liquid or
mold or other disgusting things that should be used for biological warfare.
The wife thanked me profusely - and when the husband started to say anything
she just shut him up.

Ellice

Old January 23rd 12, 03:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Belinda Alene

On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 09:16:53 -0500, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

hey gang - this is veering off topic, but I want your input.

We've all seen projects that involving felting an old wool sweater. And
there are a few I've fallen in love with and want to try.

snip

Why not find a local sheep farmer and buy raw wool for felting? Often time the
'tag' wool is tossed due to manure content. But I have run some of it through
the washer and found it fine for use in felting or stuffing quilts.
Old January 23rd 12, 11:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

wrote:

hey gang - this is veering off topic, but I want your input.

We've all seen projects that involving felting an old wool sweater. And
there are a few I've fallen in love with and want to try.

snip

Why not find a local sheep farmer and buy raw wool for felting? Often time the
'tag' wool is tossed due to manure content. But I have run some of it through
the washer and found it fine for use in felting or stuffing quilts.

I would - but the project I've been interested in starts with a sweater
for felting.

I can get my hands on raw wool - the neighbor up the street has
connections with the local ag school

Cheryl

"The Bird Brain" face jug - folk art by Dan Norton stermen Marketplace 0 May 23rd 09 12:19 PM
"Butterfly Dress" in "Beads Buttons and Lace/Romantic Style" both by Jennie Atkinson Roseagh Yarn 4 July 31st 07 10:00 AM
OT proposed discussion: How did you learn to be a "woman" ratherthan a "girl"? off kilter quilter Quilting 0 August 30th 06 02:33 AM
art with wool and felt J.M. Needlework 0 February 22nd 05 12:43 AM
Felt Art Craft Els van Dam Yarn 4 August 6th 03 07:00 PM