Novel sewing advice from the past!

Old July 21st 12, 02:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
barnyowl[_2_]

Default Novel sewing advice from the past!

This snippet of 'need-to-know' sewing advice, dated 1949 is posted by one of
the Ottawa lqs on their website this month - below the original information
is an updated version for todays' sewist! Enjoy, barnyowl

http://www.quiltypleasures.calls.net/

Old July 21st 12, 04:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Oh wow, thank you so much, Jenx. I hope all our members and lurkers will go
wallow in the wisdom of this one. It's the strangest thing, but I can sew
regardless of the mayhem including Hurricane Katrina. OTOH, I can not paint
unless there's some semblance of a decent meal available and at least a path
cleared from front door to back. It would scare the pants off Mr. Esther if
I applied lipstick and powder to do either. Polly

Old July 21st 12, 07:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Brian[_3_]

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 21:19:00 -0400, barnyowl wrote:

This snippet of 'need-to-know' sewing advice, dated 1949 is posted by
one of the Ottawa lqs on their website this month - below the original
information is an updated version for todays' sewist! Enjoy, barnyowl

http://www.quiltypleasures.calls.net/

"Put on a clean dress"

The closest thing I have to a dress is either my Hakama (http://
web.mit.edu/jpnet/kimono/man-hakama.html) for sword class, or I suppose
my bathrobe. Which one should I wear, or do I need to get busy making
myself one?

Brian Christiansen

Old July 21st 12, 08:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 06:32:14 +0000, Brian wrote:

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 21:19:00 -0400, barnyowl wrote:

This snippet of 'need-to-know' sewing advice, dated 1949 is posted by
one of the Ottawa lqs on their website this month - below the original
information is an updated version for todays' sewist! Enjoy, barnyowl

http://www.quiltypleasures.calls.net/

"Put on a clean dress"

The closest thing I have to a dress is either my Hakama (http://
web.mit.edu/jpnet/kimono/man-hakama.html) for sword class, or I suppose
my bathrobe. Which one should I wear, or do I need to get busy making
myself one?

Brian Christiansen

DD3 sews in her hakama sometimes.
So I reckon that counts.
I knit her some tabi socks because in the winter her feet look cold, and
since those sandals don't work well on foot pedals she often just wears
the socks to sew.

We don't have a sword class, so sometimes I am "Mom, the sparring partner
and living practice post". I kill her a lot and she keeps telling me
that my form is terrible, my moves are cheating, and posts are supposed
to be stationary so it is bad of me to parry. Yeah, when I get to wear
armor and she starts using something other than a solid wood bokun then I
will stop parrying!

The things we do for our kids.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old July 21st 12, 08:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

What about a sarong? That wouldn't take too much sewing g
Great response, Brian - I enjoyed the early morning chuckle!
..
In message , Brian
writes
"Put on a clean dress"

The closest thing I have to a dress is either my Hakama (http://
web.mit.edu/jpnet/kimono/man-hakama.html) for sword class, or I suppose
my bathrobe. Which one should I wear, or do I need to get busy making
myself one?

Brian Christiansen

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old July 21st 12, 10:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

On 21/07/12 07:32, Brian wrote:
On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 21:19:00 -0400, barnyowl wrote:

This snippet of 'need-to-know' sewing advice, dated 1949 is posted by
one of the Ottawa lqs on their website this month - below the original
information is an updated version for todays' sewist! Enjoy, barnyowl

http://www.quiltypleasures.calls.net/

"Put on a clean dress"

The closest thing I have to a dress is either my Hakama (http://
web.mit.edu/jpnet/kimono/man-hakama.html) for sword class, or I suppose
my bathrobe. Which one should I wear, or do I need to get busy making
myself one?

Brian Christiansen

Brian - how about an old fashioned man's night shirt? Sure looks like a
dress, or one of those garments that sheikhs wear.....

Thanks for the the laugh Jen, I especially like the updated version,
that's my sort of sewing!

Lizzy
--
http://lizzyastro.etsy.com
http://www.instructables.com/member/lizzyastro/
Old July 21st 12, 12:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ursula Schrader

"barnyowl" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
This snippet of 'need-to-know' sewing advice, dated 1949 is posted by one
of the Ottawa lqs on their website this month - below the original
information is an updated version for todays' sewist! Enjoy, barnyowl

http://www.quiltypleasures.calls.net/

Very good! I just had to post the link at alt.sewing; after all, that's
where it belongs. ;-

U. - ROTFLOL

Old July 21st 12, 11:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Brian[_3_]

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 21:19:00 -0400, barnyowl wrote:

This snippet of 'need-to-know' sewing advice, dated 1949 is posted by
one of the Ottawa lqs on their website this month - below the original
information is an updated version for todays' sewist! Enjoy, barnyowl

http://www.quiltypleasures.calls.net/

I was thinking about something. Although the proportion of men who sewed
at home (not professional tailors or sailors who might repair torn sails
as part of their job or whatever) was probably a lot smaller back then,
there must have at least some.

Were they given the same, or at least equivalent advice such as "put on
your best suit" or "be sure to shave before you start so you don't look
like Scruffy Mcgee."

Or was the prevailing attitude of the time kind of like Mr. Ropers from
Three's Company, that an man who sewed and it wasn't part of his job,
such as tailor or sailor, was "that way" and needed to put on his best
dress as well.

Brian Christiansen
Old July 22nd 12, 10:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

funny! the scary thing is, I agree with most of it. Except the dress
code and the nose-powdering -I'm way beyond that. But I'm GOOD at
housekeeping! The bed gets made as soon as we're out of it, dishes go
straight into the machine, so what's the big deal? Check this out:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6Ufupod1TQ

Roberta in D

Old July 22nd 12, 10:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

I once had the great pleasure of hearing a talk from Judith Martin
(Miss Manners -remember those funny books?) She pointed out that
whenever rules are written down someplace, it means that lots of
people have been doing something "unruly". If nobody was doing it,
there would be no need for a rule! So I have to assume that our
sisters and brothers of the cloth back in 1949 were very likely a
slovenly lot. And maybe much more concerned with hiding the fact. My
dear grandmama never went out without a hat, until about 1960. And she
hated wearing hats. (After 1960 or so, her hair was so thin that she
started wearing a wig just to keep warm.)
Roberta in D