A Favor of you Please

Old August 21st 03, 04:56 PM
Diana Curtis

This one takes first prize...for.. creative journalism... ya.. thats it.
thanks Sandy!
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
" Ellison" wrote in message
Howdy!
(some copy&pasting may be necessary; beg pardon!
this looks right on my screen g)
Must be the longest THREAD on a subject Ever! ;-D

My family's always been "in cotton." From my grandparents
on Mom's side who were cotton dusters, gloves and tack cloths,
http://www.theragcompany.com/
to my dad's people, industrial mops and floor rugs.
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c200/c226r.jpg
We evolved into at least 5 generations of quilters in my family,
I've been quilting since I was a kid, a mere moplet;
here's a typical home scene:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c192r.jpg
Our family song: *warning: music plays*
http://louiseward20.tripod.com/ragmop/ragmop.html
R I say R-A R-A-G R-A-G-G
R-A-G-G M-O-P-P: Rag Mop
So quilting was kind of in my fiber, you see;
I've always handcrafted & quilted:
http://home.att.net/~ellison-texas/w...ome.html-.html
Thru' some very vigorous shaking, I ended up here at RCTQ.
It definitely was not because my husband, RagMan;
I introduced him to newsgroups and talking on-line .
(What was I thinking?!)
Good ol' RCTQ-- friendly faces and friendly fire,
good ideas on and off topic, why go anywhere else?!
What made me stay?
Wellllll, this Quilting Party that Sarah threw made a big impression:
"The door is always open and everyone is welcome" at Sarah's;
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10008820+X-8820
"Come one, come all, she said; we're gonna' have a Quilting Party;
I don't care how you get here; just get here!"
Here's Joan, tucked in and waving goodbye:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10062917+X-62917
LN and Kris and Pat traveled together, picking up Susan & Marcella,
and a few others along the way:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00170155+P-155
Linda and the Gang wanted to bring their own stuff:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c140r.jpg
Some of the party-goers took a little side trip on the way:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c189r.jpg
We had Nurses on call:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10012150+X-12150
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10011879+X-11879
Sarah's planning committee met us when we arrived:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c102r.jpg
and she reminded us that she has a Stash Guard:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c109r.jpg
But I wasn't skeert:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10022137+X-22137
We got a tour of the premises to inspire us:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10013332+X-13332
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10017869+X-17869
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10031433+X-31433
There was space set aside for smokers:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c130r.jpg
as well as other amenities:
http://www.moore-warner.com/coups/coup012.gif
Men and children went out to pick cotton for the batting:
http://www.kountrylife.com/content/vin70.htm
Polly gave a demonstration of how to prepare fthe cotton
for batting, carding w/ deftness and speed:
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8c2300...0/8c23936r.jpg
while the rest of us stayed around to wash the new fabric.
Sarah & Wendy heated up the water:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c195r.jpg
(that's Sarah's favorite punch stick);
Ruth showed us the most efficient way to rinse the fabric:
http://runyon.lib.utexas.edu/r/RUN02...0/RUN02392.JPG
Entering the house w/ our clean fabric thru' the kitchen door
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10008941+X-8941
we divided into several small groups and began our quilting;
some of us chose to work outside:
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8a3700...0/8a37156r.jpg
Here's LN preparing a frame:
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8a3700...0/8a37150r.jpg
while others worked inside, full of joy and merriment
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8b3000...0/8b30393r.jpg
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8c1700...0/8c17428r.jpg
We quilted.
http://memory.loc.gov/service/pnp/cp...0/3d02058r.jpg
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8b3500...0/8b35946r.jpg
http://memory.loc.gov/service/pnp/cp...0/3c18916r.jpg
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00120179+L-179
For tips and lessons, Nann took charge of the quilting books:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10008315+X-8315
Lori and Teresa volunteered to help Merry
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10009859+X-9859
with a visit to Vickie in the summer parlor:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10022290+X-22290
Mid-morning break saw us taking a little exercise out-of-doors:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00105177+NS-177
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00105183+NS-183
but soon it was back to the quilting:
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/det/4a2000...0/4a21210r.jpg
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8b3700...0/8b37107r.jpg
http://www.rogerco.pwp.blueyonder.co...s/vict-bea.jpg
At last it was time for lunch, very much a serve-yourself buffet:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c188r.jpg
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00073973+MCC-3973
during which Roberta Z favored us w/ a little Eatin' Music:
http://memory.loc.gov/afc/afccc/p000/p051r.jpg
And then back to the quilting:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10000297+X-297
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c000/c079r.jpg
One of the most exciting parts of the day,
when Sarah's boyfriend from the LQS showed up:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c186r.jpg
We all indulged, esp. Sarah. *snicker*
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00105331+NS-331
Someone just couldn't keep up:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00187158+Rh-2158
Indulged & inspired, spirits revived after our afternoon respite.
Kathy called for her "boys, aka Kathy's Kut-ups:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00105793+NS-793
& not to be outdone, we were soon visited by Donna's Dudes:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00105732+NS-732
even Donna had to kick up her heels over this bunch:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00105587+NS-587
Mim
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00185348+Rh-348
was soon surrounded by admirers:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00185229+Rh-229
The neighbors
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10032152+X-32152
thought things were getting a bit rowdy & called in
some peace keepers:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00185700+Rh-700
We stopped for tea:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00074312+MCC-4312
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10007596+X-7596
and other refreshments:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00120470+L-470
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00186821+Rh-1821
http://www.sandiegohistory.org/colle...ges/7062-8.jpg
Show&tell at the close of day brought many delightful sharings;
from one of the smaller groups who had been quilting/piecing
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10030176+X-30176
Suzie showed off this quilt:
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8b2500...0/8b25287r.jpg
Taria had a Finished Quilt (& lovely booties)
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8b2700...0/8b27060r.jpg
Hanging outdoors with pride:
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8c3500...0/8c35738r.jpg
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8b2100...0/8b21515r.jpg
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00185282+Rh-282
(oh, those Kut-ups!)
Some of the day's results were *not* destined to be ribbon-winners
(perhaps too much exposure to Donna's Dudes):
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8b2100...0/8b21356r.jpg
On to supper and more fun and games:
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8b2500...0/8b25473r.jpg
when Butterfly took the dance floor w/ her troup...group:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00186180+Rh-1180
Alas, the day ended, the shindig came to a close,
and we departed in high good spirits
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10006414+X-6414
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00171777+P-1777
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10002412+X-2412
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00125039+K-39

And that's some history to entertain you, Diana!
As to the futu more of the same, please!
Raggmopp/Sandy
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranch/4775/

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Would you please tell me how you came to post at RCTQ, and why you

stay,
and
how you came to be a quilter and what you hope to find in your quilting
future. Maybe everyone else will get some pleasure in reading these ..

then
I wont feel so selfish! lol
Thanks in advance, Diana the slightly bored

Old August 21st 03, 05:58 PM
Dragonfly

Thanks, that's pretty much how I remember that fun-filled day! I
didn't realize a photographer was on duty.

I was pictured in a couple of those photos but I won't tell you which
ones. ;-)

Dragonfly

Old August 21st 03, 07:46 PM
Diana Curtis

Not telling!
but if you demand a tithe.. so shall it be!
Hugs,
Diana :-)

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
So, how many FQ does Ragmop get as prize?
PAT, who wants 10% commission ... you think I do this for free?

Old August 21st 03, 07:51 PM
Diana Curtis

No matter how often you post or how you got here, its nice to have you here.
Thank you for sharing your story too!
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Lee Kerrighan" wrote in message

We first got online in 1996, with 10 hours per month (!) My DH wasn't
interested, so it was all mine. I surfed a little, but tended to save it
for late in the calendar month, since I didn't want to run out of time
early. I looked at all the RCT_ groups, but mainly read RCTN. When we
got a faster computer and more hours I read that group regularly. RCTQ
was interesting, but so busy, and you were talking about obscure (to me)
stuff like Malvern, and you all knew each other, it seemed. Two years
ago I got my own computer, so looked in again. By that time RCTN was
getting tiresome; I had four ppl kill-filed because they were
contentious troublemakers, IMO, and I found that they produced 15-20% of
the posts. So I dropped that group and lurked here for a few months
before posting. I don't post much, but I read it all, admire your
quilts, share your concerns, and know I can get good advice and a
friendly ear here.

Lee (my server is in the lane, not the road)

Old August 22nd 03, 01:13 AM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

Another good reason to never give your parents a computer!

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

"frood" wrote in message
m...
Oh, my, does that combo bring back memories of a funny story! This ought

amuse you, Diana. Just don't tell my mom the real truth, ok?

While I was in high school, my parents decided that I was old enough to

stay
home by myself, while they went on vacation. So, being an intelligent

girl,
what did I do? I threw a party, of course! My parent's had recently
re-decorated the living room, with sea-foam green carpet. My mother was so
proud of that carpet.

Well, over the course of the party, someone (I'll not name her here - this
is archived forever, after all!) spilled a large glass of Hawaiian Punch.

threw some baking soda on the spill, and decided to think about it the

next
day. The next morning, I looked at the spill, and man, was it bad! Off to
the store for carpet cleaner. Then more carpet cleaner. Consulted every
Hints from Heloise book the library had in stock. It was still pink.

Mom and Dad come home. Notice the carpet right away. "oh, the poor dog!" I
said. "he got into the big dog's food, ate it all and moaned and groaned,

thought he was going to die! So, I gave him some pepto bismol. Then he

threw
up! I cleaned it as best as I could, but I'm sorry, I couldn't get the

stain
out!" Since the poor dog in question couldn't defend himself, and was, in
fact, prone to eating the big dog's food, then moaning for hours

afterwards,
and since there was no other evidence to suggest something else had
happened, my parent's had no choice but to take my word for it. I did make
sure the dog got as many doggie treats as I could afford for the rest of

his
life.

To this day, my mother has no idea of the real story. This even came up

this
past Christmas! My mother *knows* something else happened, but has no
evidence! Well, until I published it here on the internet that is!
--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
LOL
and just what would I leave that would make you happy? Let me see...

pepto
bismal pink and seafoam green hand dyes?
Diana

Old August 22nd 03, 05:26 AM
Diana Curtis

Thanks LN!
di

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"LN (remove NOSPAM)" wrote in message
Not in my case. I had to show mine how to use ngs.

I can't remember the date I started on here. I believe I was already

living
here, so it must be somewhere around 5 years.

A friend taught me how to piece, but not to quilt. I spose I could have
asked her, but didn't as I didn't start get to that phase until a few

years
later. I have the quilt tops I made during her weekend teach-a-thon. They
are just small wallhanging size. I had trouble machine quilting (turns

out,
I used the wrong batt. Too thick.) and swore I'd never quilt again. Then I
got a Quilt and Other Comforts catalog and decided I'd like to try again,
only I'd hand quilt. Of course, that meant I'd have to learn how to hand
quilt. LOL

I bought the materials and marked my quilt and had the owner of the LQS

tell
me if I was doing it ok. She said the pattern I chose was a tough one for

beginner and helped me choose a simpler one. I had done other ngs before
(polyclay and such) so I knew ngs already, so I looked for the quilting

one.

Once here, I found some local RCTQers and began to meet with them as often
as we could. We began a round robin that still isn't done yet and I'm the
only one from that group that still posts regularly. I think it's because

also IM and email with some of you on a regular basis, so I would miss a

lot
if I left. (I actually did for a few months when going thru a low point

and
no one noticed. Sniff... so I came back. LOL) I don't usually read on
weekends because I'm not home as much, so I have to mark a lot of stuff

read
come Monday and Tuesday.

End of story.

Have I mentioned that my kids go back to school next week?
--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér
all in all --- a very slow quilter.... So send quilts!
http://photos.yahoo.com/lns_obsessed

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Thank you for the story, and for the get well wishes. I have enjoyed

every
tale from the shortest and simplest to the long and involved and

marveled
at
the different ways people have become involved in quilting, and the

reasons
they stay with it. Seems a fair number of us are admitting that our
significant others/future husbands, and family techie geeks got us

hooked
up
with RCTQ. Thats ok. We got here. We made it our own.
Thanks HoBo!!! I loved your story!
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"HoBo" wrote in message
"Diana Curtis" wrote in

message
Im recovering well... certain things coming in the mail keep my

spirits
up, thank you muchly! But the days linger long
sometimes. I havent energy to do much yet, but you, yes YOU, have

the
power to entertain and amuse me if you
feel like it, and I hope you do... Would you please tell me how you

came
post at RCTQ, and why you stay,
and how you came to be a quilter and what you hope to find in your
quilting future. Maybe everyone else will get some
pleasure in reading these .. then I wont feel so selfish! lol
Thanks in advance,
Diana the slightly bored
-- http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Hi Diana!

Here's my short story of how it all began per your request :^)

I started quilting in 1989 after getting a quilting catalog in the

mail.
Got my curiosity so I ordered a quilt kit. Not feeling all that sure

in
selecting fabrics much less a pattern it was easy to let someone else

pick
out the fabrics for the design I liked. I'm self taught since where we

used
to live it took an hour to get to town and all the guilds met in the
evenings. Night driving is not my cup o' tea. But I discovered all

the
fun
books, patterns & gadgets that all work together. Since then I've

made
probably at least a dozen quilts. I've learned to enjoy working with
triangles, green fabric & will master applique if it kills me g

I found r.c.t.q. way back in 1994 (!). DH (then boyfriend) had just
purchased a computer & he had run across the newsgroups so he

subscribed
me
to rctq. I lurked for awhile, then hopped in (after The Great Flame

War
was
over g)- and have participated in the goings on like block/fq/siggy

swaps
& HUGs (first one was Ruth's HUG) and have been in on many HUG's

thereafter.
And maybe even an instigator of at least one or two. :-)

I've stayed because of the friendships of those I've met & those that

haven't met personally, even when they have sent me green fabric ;^)

the
swaps, silliness & fun that the group has offered over the years. I

have
laughed & cried with you all. If you ever get a chance to meet an

rctq'er,
do it! It is even more fun when you gather in groups! You'll

discover
all
sorts of things, like there ARE quilt police.... they just reside in

Burbank
g (I'll have to get that picture posted one of these days) Or that

fabric
CAN be stored in the refrigerator, isn't that right Butterfly??!

If I can only find more 'spare' time (and a cooler sewing room) I can

do
more quilting & other crafty things that I like to do. Along with

getting
back onto the ng. Back to my little corner of lurkdom.....for now g

Hope
you are feeling better soon!

(((gentle hugs)))
HoBo

Old August 22nd 03, 02:59 PM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

My dad was trying to remove a stubborn nail one day when the claw of the
hammer came back at him and hit him in the eye. He's lucky he didn't do any
permanent damage to it. Good thing I wasn't home at the time or I'm sure I
would have learned a new vocabulary.

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér
all in all --- a very slow quilter.... So send quilts!
http://photos.yahoo.com/lns_obsessed

"Butterfly" wrote in message
.. .
My Dad did.
Killed an axe that is.
Was out chooping wood for kindling (we had a wood burning furnace) and
the head of the axe flew off. Came in the house and announced he was
done for the day--he had killed the axe. The wood handle had split and
the head of the axe went flying off. Can't remember how he fixed it but
we certainly were NOT allowed to be outside when anyone was chopping wood.
Butterfly (we knew better than to giggle)

Old August 22nd 03, 04:55 PM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

It's been a rough summer.

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér
all in all --- a very slow quilter.... So send quilts!
http://photos.yahoo.com/lns_obsessed

wrote in message
Gee, RaggMopp, I wish I coulda been there...it looks like so much fun. I
had no idea you were such an accomplished horsewoman, or that Roberta
could strum the old banjo so well. Oh my, LN, how you have changed!
Thanks for all the photos. Nancycog in MD

Old August 22nd 03, 10:19 PM
Dawn in Alberta

Well once something bites me like quilting has, not much can keep me down. I
keep at it until I am happy with it. So knowing myself, I will be quilting
straight into my next life time.

Dawn

--
When life gets you down , Get up and Mambo
John Candy
"LN (remove NOSPAM)" wrote in message
Gasp! Of course hand quilting panels counts! It's quilting! It just isn't
piecing.

I, too, am amazed you continued to quilt after being "read the riot act".
--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér
all in all --- a very slow quilter.... So send quilts!
http://photos.yahoo.com/lns_obsessed

"Dawn in Alberta" wrote in message
. ca...
You read it right the first time , I came here before I truly ever

started.
I am not counting the helping the friend thing, cause she didnt like

what
I did. I sewed the seems to big and the block turned out to small, she

read
me the riot act. It was my first time ever working on a quilt top with

no
instructions other then to sew the lines straight and make sure they

match.

But here I am with one quilt top made from start to finish by me, (and

am
not counting the panels cause I just had to hand quilt those). And its

All
your guy's fault I think you all need to owe me chocolate now ( second
thought its to hot for chocolate, FQ's will do nicely )

Dawn

Old August 22nd 03, 10:43 PM
Patti

Hullo Sherri and welcome
Hope you have a terrific retirement (though you won't find you have all
that much time!!).
Looking forward to seeing how you get on with your classes and the
projects.
I have cats too (and rabbits and guinea pigs, but that's another story!)
..
In article , sdgodfrey
writes
I came to post at RCTQ because a lady recovering from surgery asked a
question... BG That's you, Diana. Yes, this is my first post here.
I've been reading and lurking for about 3 months, I guess. I've read
RCTN for years because I'm a needleworker, not a quilter. I mostly just
skim the headers there now. I've always wanted to quilt, but I worked
hard all day as a programmer, and already had many hobbies (cross
stitch, hardanger, reading mysteries, internetting, and eating
chocolate..). So quilting became the thing I would learn when I
retired. I've collected quite a few quilting books over the years. Now
at the ripe old age of 42, I'm there! It's been 2 weeks since my
official retirement, and I'm loving it. Knowing my free time was about
to expand, I started lurking here to get a feel for it and to pick up
some tips. You all have been great so far, I've learned a lot already.
Now all I have to do is put it into practice.

So far, I've bought lots of quilting books and fabric. I just hope my
quilting stash doesn't get to rival my needlework stash or I'll need a
much bigger house! LOL I've made one practice square with some really
cheap fat quarters I bought at Wal-Mart about 20 years ago. I've pieced
it but haven't quilted it yet. I think I'll make it into a pillow.
I've signed up for two quilting classes at two different LNS's. The
first one is machine piecing a quilt top. It's 6" squares stitched
together then put on point with setting triangles around the edge, and 2
borders. I hope I've used the right terminology there... It's tomorrow
night, so I'll probably be asking questions here VERY soon. The other
class starts at the end of the month. It's an Amish wallhanging and
will be hand pieced and hand quilted. Yikes! So I hope my quilting
future is to learn to quilt!

I've enjoyed reading everyone's stories. Oh, since this is an
introductory post... I have 2 QI's. Both feline.. known as Bonnie and
Clyde, or collectively as The Dickens'. I love most all kinds of
chocolate, but I'm a purist. I like mine without nuts, fruits, etc.
But since everyone keeps insisting it's too hot for chocolate, the
welcome wagon can send FQ's (Fat Quarters or Finished Quilts). VBEG

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill