I forgot the good stuff.

Old August 18th 03, 09:23 PM
Julia in MN

If you have a cable modem or a DSL connection, you should definitely run
a firewall; it's not quite so important if you use a dial-up connection,
but might be valuable if you are online for long periods of time. I can
give you a more technical explanation if you like.

I use Norton Internet Security, which has both the firewall and the
virus protection. It does a pretty good job of stopping most popup ads.

Julia in MN

M. Wetmore wrote:
To stop the pop-up ads that come from a web site, get one of the
"pop-up stopper" programs from downloads.com. To stop the kind that
are sent to your computer through your DSL line, the only defense is a
hardware firewall. A hardware firewall will also protect you from the
kind of virus that is going around right now. They are not very
expensive and some come with a built in router. We use ours to
connect two computers to our DSL line. I have a SMC Barricade. I got
it on E-Bay. Here's one for sale right now:

Mardi

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old August 24th 03, 06:27 PM
Dr. Quilter

thanks, I checked mine and it was already set at disabled. but it was
good to confirm!

K. Reece wrote:
Well, okay. On Widows 2000 and XP you need to find the Administrative
tools. In XP open the control panel and click on "performance and
maintenance" and then administrative tools. Open that and then double
click on "services." Scroll down the list until you get to "messenger."
Click on it to highlight it and then right click on it. Click on
properties. In the box that opens up there is a little drop down menu arrow
beside where it says start up type. In the box it says automatic. Change
that to manual or disable. Then below that there's another area that says
service status, click stop. Then click applyok and you're all done. No
more nasty gray box pop ups!! You'll still get all the web site advertising
pop ups though.

The instructions for windows 98 are a bit different. Let me know if anyone
wants those.

Kathy in Ks.
"Neeej" wrote in message

If you mean those gray box "messenger
service" pop ups email me and I'll tell you how to get rid of them really
easy.

I wanna know too---tell us all?
-- Jean S

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old August 26th 03, 02:13 AM
Irene

Popup, shmopup. No quilting stores??? ai-yay-yay...

Head east to Montreal if necessary, the fabric stores have enough
decent prints. Don't bother with Winnipeg unless you are prepared for
$20 a metre for Hoffman or any big names. Mitchell Fabrics is the
sole exception (and my grandmother shopped there...) in Wpg.

You're better off with the mail order--you will pay GST & PST from the
US but you get anything you order. If you want to know who has a good
scanner for online purchases, I would prefer to tell you separately
from this list--I don't want to offend anybody selling fabric.

If you get REALLY desperate please let me know and I will make up a
care package from the stash that is being edited. The stash REALLY
needs to lose some weight...

Irene

Ann Adamson wrote in message ...
If you get the latest Netscape (or get a Mac and use Apple's Safari
browser ;^) ) you can easily disable pop-ups.

Susanne wrote:
I forgot to tell you all the good stuff! My DH messed up my computer while I
was gone so I got a brand spanking new computer. I am in love with it! Now
if only I could fiqure out how to get rid of all those annoying pop-up
messages.

Also, I had planned on visiting every quilting store in sight while in
northern Ontario but couldn't find any. Those poor people are
quilting-store-deprived. You heard it here! I'm sure that should be a new
medical diagnosis. BG

Apparently Thunder Bay has one but the only time I was there was to get off
a plane or get back on one.

However, I met a truly wonderful lady who wanted to get rid of her fabric
collection. She gave me all her quilting fabrics. It is truly the best SEX I
ever had. It was free!
LOL

Susanne

OT - Health Update (more good stuff) Helen C Beads 15 November 17th 04 01:22 AM
OT - Asking for good thoughts and update Helen C Beads 1 July 31st 04 09:38 AM
OT : Just When You Thought Stuff Couldn't Be Worse rainbow Beads 7 July 4th 03 08:27 PM
Some good news! Lee S. Billings Beads 7 July 4th 03 07:10 PM
Macy pic, beady things, other stuff - OT Tink Beads 10 July 4th 03 06:29 AM