What were these jars use for?

Old August 30th 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Ron

Default What were these jars use for?

Can someone tell me what these jars used for. Who made them, or any info
etc.. The large one is 4" tall. They have screw tops with a hole in the top
for hanging.

http://home.hvc.rr.com/ronsylallard/p1.JPG

http://home.hvc.rr.com/ronsylallard/p2.JPG

http://home.hvc.rr.com/ronsylallard/p3.JPG

http://home.hvc.rr.com/ronsylallard/p4.JPG

http://home.hvc.rr.com/ronsylallard/p5.JPG

Old August 30th 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Cheryl

Yep -- they are EGG CODDLERS.
you crack an egg into one with a little butter...
then submerge it in boiling water.
The loop is so you can tie a string on it - to lift
it out of the boiling water.
(very English - coddled eggs... LOL)

Cheryl

Old August 30th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Steve Mills

Well I'll be cord wangled. I've done many things with Eggs, but I've
never Coddled them!

:-)

Steve
Bath
UK

In article . com,
Cheryl writes

--
Steve Mills
Bath
Old September 1st 06, 03:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Cheryl

PS.

http://www.egg-coddlers.com/

hey - I never new they were used in Caesar salad -- I just use
a boiled egg... LOL

Cheryl

Old September 2nd 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

The original Caesar salad used raw egg (as does mayonnaise). Salmonella
changed that...

ups.com...

Old September 2nd 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

I'm from where they originated Caesar salad. They would make it at your
table (Bobby Burns in L.A.) and it used raw egg just as real mayonnaise
does. In fact the ingredients are the same as for mayonnaise. This was
decades ago and before the salmonella scare. After the finding of
salmonella in raw eggs they started to cook the egg or just use mayonnaise
which I guess is made with pastuerized egg now (how in the world do you do
that without cooking the egg?) which is what I do now. Anchovies are
critical to the original recipe (and mine).

Given how slow the room has been I think we should start sharing recipes
(how many of you have food cooking parties when you gather for a firing
(raku especially)? For me food and pottery are Intrinsically linked. Also
plum wine.....

Donna

"Leonard" wrote in message
I know this is getting a little off topic ;-), but this is for the non
believers out there.

Caesar salad is generally made from the following ingredients:
· romaine lettuce
· garlic croutons
· lemon juice
· olive oil
· parmesan cheese
· coddled or hard-boiled eggs
· fresh-ground black pepper
· Worcestershire sauce

Oh incidently, coddled eggs are a little softer that soft boiled eggs.

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 20:39:33 -0400, "DKat"
wrote:

The original Caesar salad used raw egg (as does mayonnaise). Salmonella
changed that...

roups.com...

Old September 2nd 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Steve Mills

I'm absolutely with you there, however I think it would be best if we
restricted recipes to matching or being served in particular pots that
we have made.
As an enthusiastic and regular cook (my Wife and I do alternate weeks)
my heart is with the food thing, BUT we are a Ceramic interest group,
and there are a lot of food groups, so Clay should remain our biggest
focus.

Re. Plum Wine: I always say I'm a practising wino, and one day I'll be
perfect!

Traditionally this NG does go into slo-mo during the Holiday season.

Steve
Bath
UK

In article , DKat
writes

Snip:

Old September 5th 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bubbles_

"Cheryl" wrote in message
ups.com...
PS.

http://www.egg-coddlers.com/

Wouldn't you know, they would have a website for that too? Haha! Never
ceases to amaze me!

One that I never thought I would find is

www.felinediabetes.com

which, by the way, is a fantastic and supportive site if you have a diabetic
cat!

Marianne

Old September 5th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

Any of you out there have a good ^06 - 04 aventurine glaze they want
to pass on?

I believe I found something on the MC 6 site on crystal glazes on low fire
but can't find it now. You may want to look.

http://www.frogpondpottery.com/glaze...bleglazes.html

http://www.ceramic-materials.com/cer...ation/226.html

I would try playing with a glaze you have and like and add iron and rutile
(inside of bowl only)....

pdated mon 2 nov 98
David Orser on sun 1 nov 98

From www.potters.org