Question for all new Mommies

Old November 12th 03, 04:30 PM
Julia in MN

Some babies cannot tolerate baby oil either. DD (now almost 30) has very
sensitive skin and as a baby was very prone to diaper rash. I tried
using baby oil to clean her bottom during diaper changes and she broke
out. The doctor said it was probably the fragrance and suggested using
plain mineral oil, but that wasn't any better. The pharmacist finally
suggested a skin cream without a petroleum base and that helped. She
also got very sore from Desitin (TM), an ointment for diaper rash that
had worked very well for DS. I finally found that plain zinc oxide was
the best. Sometimes it takes a little trial and error to find out what
works.

I always used Dreft or Ivory Snow for diapers and for all the baby
clothes until they were at least a year old. My son did break out from
the Downy fabric softener, so I had to quit using that.

DD still is very sensitive to makeup; she even reacts badly to a lot of
the stuff that is labeled hypoallergenic.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old November 12th 03, 04:31 PM
CNYstitcher

Here they call them sleep sacks, and I know you can get them at
Target.......might have to get one of these after all!

Sarah Dixon wrote:

The best thing I bought was a baby sleepingbag. You use them just with
a bottom sheet, no need for blankets etc. It meant that Matthew
couldn't wriggle out then wake up crying because he was cold. He went
from waking up several times a night to sleeping right through! Worth
every penny!! You could probably find a pattern for them

http://www.bumpto3.com/products/sleep/grobag/
is where you can buy them in the UK, but it will give you an idea of
what I mean.

Sarah

Old November 12th 03, 04:34 PM
CNYstitcher

corn oil comes from corn grin

Diana Curtis wrote:

It does raise the question though, if corn oil comes from oil, where do you
think baby oil comes from?
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message

Kate Dicey wrote:

Baby oil? Dunno... Do babies need oiling?

Consider the amount of squeaking they do.

--Lia

Old November 12th 03, 04:39 PM
CNYstitcher

gotcha

QuiltShopHopper wrote:

The only difference tween a regular one and an infant one is the size is
smaller but the price is higher. Marketing ploy only.

Old November 12th 03, 08:52 PM
Charlotte Hippen

Can't have enough burp cloths!! My 2nd son (6 wks.) is really good a major
spit ups! I use burp rags my mother made for me. They work really good.
We not only use them to keep him from spitting up on us while burping, but
we also place one under his chin and across his shoulders while feeding him
as he has a tendency to make a real mess and they are much easier that
putting on a bib. I have about 1 doz. and use them all. I love them and
don't know what I'd do without them!! One side is flannel, the other terry.
They are slightly wider than the distance between my neck and shoulder and
go to my waist if the edge is at the top of my shoulder. The ones she made
for my 3 yr old were really light colored but don't show formula stains
because they are a very light tanish color - same as formula stains. The
second batch she made are a darker blue that so far show no stains either.
I had a few store ones I received as gifts with DS #1 that I threw out
because they didn't work at all. They were way too small and didn't wash
well either.

Most of the little spit up/drool bibs in stores seam really useless to me.
They are way to small and nonabsorbent to perform their duty. I have 1 that
I like that was a gift that can be bought at Walmart etc. or easily made
too. Its 2 layers of terry with velcro at the closure. It's about 7 in
across and about 7 in. down from the shoulder. For feeding bibs, I have a
set that my cousin made from kitchen towels. They work really great, but
she made them with holes and ribbing for the neck. Ties or velcro would be
so much easier than sliding over the head. I have 1 that I received
elsewhere that was made from a little bit larger towel that had the corners
of the back flap tacked to the sides of the front for sleeves. If you get
a long enough towel you could always add pockets to the bottom to catch
crumbs, etc. buy turning up the edge. I think towels work really great for
this because you don't have all that cutting to do, they are very absorbent
and are available in lots of different colors and designs.

HTH
Charlotte

"QuiltShopHopper" wrote in message
news
Hello all,
I have two friends who are expecting, and I am writing to ask what items

you
really needed or wanted most for your shower or new baby. Is there

anything
you needed more of than you received?
I am doing a flannel receiving blanket, burp towel and bib, but don't

those
things out to be much bigger than they are in the stores? Some babies can
burp all the way to the floor; seems like you would need a burp towel the
size of Kansas. And bibs, don't you need a bib the length of the baby and
the width of her outstretched arms?

Cyndi

Old November 12th 03, 08:57 PM
Charlotte Hippen

I hope the new formula helps. Positive thoughts and prayers to you. I am
dealing with my own colic problems and understand how tiring and frustrating
it can be!!

Charlotte

"CNYstitcher" wrote in message
OKay, where do you find one of these?? I have a colicky baby and this
may just help out a bit!

Larisa, trying a different formula per doctors orders and lacking even
more sleep

Valkyrie wrote:

One of the must have gifts I give to new or about to be mommies is a

baby
hot water bottle. I got one at my baby shower it turned out to be a god
send. It calms fussy babies, soothes gassy tummies and snuggled up

against
their backs will put them right to sleep. Good for little ear aches too.

The
last two showers I went to I couldn't find the little hot water bottles
anywhere so I made microwave rice bags in the shape of a teddy bear (two
piece pattern) and a frog and also one about the size of a half sheet of
paper and made a fleece cover for it. All the mommies have loved them so
far.

Val

Old November 12th 03, 09:07 PM
Charlotte Hippen

If you use the baby wash you don't have to worry about what happens if the
soap runs into the eyes since is designed not to hurt them. I've never
tried bar soap, but don't see why it would be a problem unless you have one
with lots of dyes and fragrance which might irritate baby's skin. To me
liquid seams so much easier.

I've never used Dreft. DH gets rashes from most laundry soaps and dryer
sheets, so we use soap and dryer sheets free of dyes and fragrance for all
of our laundry. Since we used this I didn't see a need to buy the Dreft.
DS #1 never had any problems and so far DS #2 hasn't either.

As for the baby oil, I've never used that either.

Charlotte

"QuiltShopHopper" wrote in message
*Head to toe baby wash (I use Johnson's

is special baby wash really better than just bar soap? Or is it just

easier
to use a liquid soap on a sqirmy baby than a bar soap?

also, is Dreft really better laundry soap than any other? It costs so

much
more!
And do you really use baby oil? What for? And is the gel form better

than
the oily form?

Cyndi

Old November 12th 03, 10:21 PM
nzl*

did i read somewhere loooooong looooooong time ago that mineral oil is
absorbed into the blood stream and can deplete you of some essential vitamin
or other nutrient, thereby causing other problems.
i'd think it might also cause some bowel problems, eeeeeeeek.
i squirted breastmilk right on any diaper rash or in babys eye if the get
conjunctivitis. its the right ph for your baby.
works a treat. looks sorta funny thing to be doing but hey it worked.
jeanne
B/F three kids for a collective total of 3 yrs.

| On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:43:46 +0000, Kate Dicey wrote:
| Baby oil? Dunno... Do babies need oiling?

"NightMist" wrote...
Can't help with that one as
| we still have the unopened only bottle I ever got... 9 years later!
|
| I've always thought mineral oil (paraffin oil) couldn't be very good for
the skin. That is what the baby oil hereabouts is.

| When Ash was born our Kiri got given a quart bottle full of the stuff.
| We soaked off the lable and dropped a double handful of iron filings into
it so we could demonstrate magnetic fields to the older kids.
| (shake the bottle up, and then hold a magnet against a side of the bottle.
Way cool and simple demo)

Old November 13th 03, 02:04 AM
QuiltShopHopper

Thank you everyone who gave me advice and suggestions.

Cyndi

Old November 13th 03, 04:16 AM
Lisa C

"QuiltShopHopper" wrote in message
*Head to toe baby wash (I use Johnson's

is special baby wash really better than just bar soap? Or is it just

easier
to use a liquid soap on a sqirmy baby than a bar soap?

Baby wash is no-tears. And usually hypo-allergenic as well. Less stuff for
baby to react too. Also, ever notice how 'soap' leaves a film? Baby wash
rinses cleaner.

also, is Dreft really better laundry soap than any other? It costs so

much
more!

Most folks don't know the REAL reason to use Dreft (or Ivory).
Those are soaps... other laundry stuff is detergent.
Detergents can remove the flame-retardent in the baby clothes.
You should also know that it is VERY difficult (and expensive) to
flame-retard natural fabrics.. which is why so many bolts of yummy fabric in
the stores say 'not for children's sleepwear'

And do you really use baby oil? What for? And is the gel form better

than
the oily form?

Only time I ever used baby oil was for 'cradle cap'. If baby's skin is
really dry, I suppose baby oil would work. I would be pre-disposed to the
gel or more lotion-y form just because of the slickness factor in the oil.