Question for all new Mommies

Old November 12th 03, 09:49 AM
D&D

When DD was younger I got some really strange looks at the way I carried her
( Actually a friend and I both used to carry her while serving in her shop).
We used to lay her on her tummy, head at the elbow and hand at the crutch,
facing the floor, lower arm at right angles to upper arm.

Looked strange but it really relaxed her as she didn't sleep very much.

Dee in Oz

"Valkyrie" wrote in message
I used to see them in drug stores all the time and last time I bought one
was at Target. Haven't looked around for them for awhile. I'd wrap the
little hot water bottle in a towel and put it against his back, then

swaddle
him and lay him on his side in the crib and he'd go right to sleep. I also
would put it on my lap and sort of lay him over it on his tummy and gently
rub his back in slow circles and he'd calm right down. If you can't find

baby hot water bottle make a little rice bag and heat it up in the
microwave. I'm sure it would do the same thing.

Val

"CNYstitcher" wrote in message
OKay, where do you find one of these?? I have a colicky baby and this
may just help out a bit!

Larisa, trying a different formula per doctors orders and lacking even
more sleep

Valkyrie wrote:

One of the must have gifts I give to new or about to be mommies is a

baby
hot water bottle. I got one at my baby shower it turned out to be a

god
send. It calms fussy babies, soothes gassy tummies and snuggled up

against
their backs will put them right to sleep. Good for little ear aches

too.
The
last two showers I went to I couldn't find the little hot water

bottles
anywhere so I made microwave rice bags in the shape of a teddy bear

(two
piece pattern) and a frog and also one about the size of a half sheet

of
paper and made a fleece cover for it. All the mommies have loved them

so
far.

Val

Old November 12th 03, 12:20 PM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

I saw on Oprah a family who lost their child who got into baby oil and drank
it. They fought to get baby proof caps put on. I don't think I've seen any
with babyproof caps on them yet, so I'd put it way out of reach.

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message

Baby oil? Dunno... Do babies need oiling? Can't help with that one as
we still have the unopened only bottle I ever got... 9 years later!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Old November 12th 03, 12:42 PM
Diana Curtis

It does raise the question though, if corn oil comes from oil, where do you
think baby oil comes from?
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
Kate Dicey wrote:

Baby oil? Dunno... Do babies need oiling?

Consider the amount of squeaking they do.

--Lia

Old November 12th 03, 12:56 PM
Kate Dicey

Julia Altshuler wrote:

Kate Dicey wrote:

Baby oil? Dunno... Do babies need oiling?

Consider the amount of squeaking they do.

--Lia

In that case I'd have needed to oil the dummy/pacifier! He LOVED to
chew that thing, making really funny squeaky noises! Other than that he
either giggled or YELLED - no half measure with my boy!
Old November 12th 03, 12:59 PM
Shelly

One of our local Wallyworld's is selling fake Robeez.They want approximately
half of what the real ones cost.DH is emailing the company to tell them.
When I bought DD's Robeez ,the young girl at Stride Rite tried to tell me
they were slippers because they had a leather sole.DH then told her he had
leather soled shoes!! Shut her right up!LOL

Shelly
"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
A note about the Robeez... great shoes.. I LOVED them for Meg, but the
elastic was tight around the ankle so I lengthened it. Meg loved them too
and was not able to take them off.
They are a Canadian company, so when DH ordered them he asked if he could
pay the Canadian price if he had them shipped to his sister in NB, and

they
were happy to let him do that with a credit card. Sister later shipped

them
to us, saving us a bit of money.

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Keith and Michelle" wrote in message
m...
Things I love for my baby and/or wish I'd received at my shower...

-My Diaper Genie. I have two, just because they are so convenient.
-Even if she's breast feeding, a good set of bottle is handy, in case
she decides to express or use the occasional formula bottle.
-SOCKS! My DD goes through socks like crazy. She is already wearing
12-18 month socks at age 9 mos.
-bigger clothes. I know newborn stuff is cute, but what if she/they
deliver 10 pounders? Aim for 9 mos and up.
-a basket of baby goodies. My cousin gave me this beautiful wicker
basket filled with every baby product out there. Helps to have
everything on hand.
-car mirror. It's this mirror that sticks to the rear window by a
suction cup and lets you see the baby in her rear facing seat.
-ROBEEZ. These are special leather shoes that baby can't take off.
They come in so many cute designs and you can get them here
http://www.robeez.com
NAIAW, just a happy repeat customer.
-fitted crib sheets, for when those diapers leak overnight.
-babyproofing kit, great to have before you need it. Cupboard latches,
doorknob covers, plug covers, etc.
-pacifier thermometer, by Vicks. It's a thermometer shgaped like a
pacifier/soother/dummy/whatever you call it (it's a dumtit here in
Newfoundland) which allows you to take baby's temperature with a
minimum of fuss. Much cheaper thant he ear one although it's also
slower.
-Ocean Wonders Aquarium for the crib. It really works to soothe DD
back to sleep.

As for bibs, yes I would agree. The bigger the better. There are some
out on the market that even have arms! As for spit up, DD never
dirtied a burping pad; it always skipped right by and landed on the
floor.

Well, I guess that's a good start. HTH!
Michelle in Gander

"QuiltShopHopper" wrote in message

Hello all,
I have two friends who are expecting, and I am writing to ask what

items
you
really needed or wanted most for your shower or new baby. Is there

anything
you needed more of than you received?
I am doing a flannel receiving blanket, burp towel and bib, but don't

those
things out to be much bigger than they are in the stores? Some babies

can
burp all the way to the floor; seems like you would need a burp towel

the
size of Kansas. And bibs, don't you need a bib the length of the baby

and
the width of her outstretched arms?

Cyndi

Old November 12th 03, 03:13 PM
QuiltShopHopper

Walmart might have one, but I know that all medical supply places sell them
from $9 to $20. Get one that's thick rubber, and either wrap it in a towel
or make a fabric cover so her skin doesn't touch the hot rubber.

Old November 12th 03, 04:12 PM
CNYstitcher

Thank you muchly! Just wondering, would a regular hot water bottle work
instead of getting an "infant" one?? I remember that we used to have
one of those bags that you could fill with either hot water or cold
water and ice, depending on what you needed it for.......have seen them,
but only in catalogs.

Will have to wait a few weeks before I can get it, but if it is just a
regular water bottle, then I know where I can get one.

Larisa, still reeling from her DD sleeping for over 3 hours last night
(had to wake her for a diaper change and a bottle, and then she slept
for 5 hours!!!)

Old November 12th 03, 04:20 PM
QuiltShopHopper

The only difference tween a regular one and an infant one is the size is
smaller but the price is higher. Marketing ploy only.