First try at PP--hated it!

Old November 10th 03, 03:57 PM
Kathy in CA

Default First try at PP--hated it!

I tried my hand at paper piecing this week end. Really hated it--more
trouble than it was worth! Had to keep ripping out and when I was thru with
the 2nd piece I found I had colors in wrong order I was only making a
small cosmetic-type quilted bag and it was really an pain in the %^&$&)&.
Trashed it and did the exact same thing--except a slightly larger size-using
my dresden template. It was much quicker and definately easier I quess PP
has its uses but not for me! I may need to take a class in PP waaaaayyyyy in
the future

--
Kathy in CA
Quilting Stuff:

Old November 10th 03, 04:49 PM
Diana Curtis

I hated my first try in PP too. Its still not my favorite technique, but to
get really nice blocks for Hugs its been worth persevering. I do simple
ones.
I hope you do take a class when you can. I think that might make it less
frustrating for you.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old November 10th 03, 05:34 PM
Pat in Virginia

Kathy:
Please clarify what you did. Foundation Piecing on Paper? English
Piecing with Paper Forms?
Then maybe someone with appropriate expertise can assist you.
PAT in VA/USA

Old November 10th 03, 06:55 PM
MelissaInNJ

This technique more than any other I think is either loved or
hated...there is no gray area it seems!

Melissa in NJ

Old November 10th 03, 07:53 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Kathy in CA" wrote:

I tried my hand at paper piecing this week end. Really hated it--more
trouble than it was worth! Had to keep ripping out and when I was thru with
the 2nd piece I found I had colors in wrong order I was only making a
small cosmetic-type quilted bag and it was really an pain in the %^&$&)&.
Trashed it and did the exact same thing--except a slightly larger size-using
my dresden template. It was much quicker and definately easier I quess PP
has its uses but not for me! I may need to take a class in PP waaaaayyyyy in
the future

Have you read any of Carol Doak's instructions about what to do when you
make a boo-boo? She's *so* good!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
my ISP is earthlink.net
Old November 10th 03, 08:06 PM
Kathy in CA

PP sound simple when reading the instructions in the book and here on the
newsgroup but not so easy to actual do Havent bought or got books from
library on this though.

--
Kathy in CA
Quilting Stuff:
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/kathys1068

Old November 10th 03, 09:12 PM
Gail Matthews

Gosh, and I thought I was the only one who hated paper piecing.
I have a lot of difficulty with techniques that require fabric
cut one way, placed another and flipped over - I just can't get
my mind around how it's supposed to go and almost always end up
reversed somehow...

I'm sure PP has its place in making complicated blocks, just not
in my sewing area!

-- g

Old November 10th 03, 09:29 PM
Diana Curtis

Nope.. I tolerate it and use it when it seems appropriate, but I cant
picture myself becoming a huge fan.
(there are always exceptions to the rule and they always come out when you
claim there arent)
heehee
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
om...

Old November 10th 03, 09:31 PM
Julia in MN

I had tried foundation paper piecing (FPP) on my own a couple of times
and wasn't wild about it. Then I had the opportunity to take a class
from Carol Doak. It is much more fun now -- I think I may be hooked. FPP
is great for piecing complex blocks with lots of small pieces. I have
never done miniatures, but I can see where FPP would be good for that.
It is not my technique of choice for bigger, simple blocks.

I recommend taking a class and giving it another try. Or try to get a
good video if you can find one. Some of Carol Doak's books come with a
how-to-do-it CD that you can play on a computer.

I just finished paper piecing the nativity scene from the last issue of
Quiltmaker magazine
http://www.quiltmaker.com/currentissue/94/project3/. I have the borders
and applique star left. All of the fabric except for the outside border
was from my stash. I was a bit surprised at how much I enjoyed doing it.

I did find that the kind of paper you use makes a difference in how easy
it is to remove. For this project, I used "Papers for Foundation
Piecing" from That Patchwork Place because that is what Carol
recommended. Tracing paper also works well, but what I have is 9x12
instead of 8-1/2 x 11, so it doesn't fit in the printer without
trimming. When I took Carol's class, I used both Fun-Dation and regular
printer paper; both were harder to remove than tracing paper or "Papers
for Foundation Piecing."

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

THIS IS REALLY GREAT AND IT REALLY WORKS! [email protected] Needlework 485 February 9th 05 03:07 PM
OT - Homework in PE Cindy S. Quilting 6 October 6th 03 03:44 PM
Ot i wanted for once to see Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Needlework 306 September 15th 03 03:31 PM
Lucille Pat Porter Needlework 6 September 1st 03 08:57 PM
Best loved and hated paintings - was Fiberart speaks Pat Porter Needlework 3 August 29th 03 01:55 AM