Embroidery machines?

Old September 23rd 04, 02:06 PM
escapee

Default Embroidery machines?

A friend of mine who is an artist currently gives photo's to someone and they
scan it in and machine embroider the image onto fabric. He is paying 75 dollars
per image. Does this sound like a decent price? If not, what sort of machine
does this type of embroidery and how much does the machine cost? I was thinking
it was approximately $1,500. Does anyone know a brand name machine which does
this?

Thanks,
Victoria

Old September 23rd 04, 03:16 PM
Ellice

escapee wrote:

A friend of mine who is an artist currently gives photo's to someone and they
scan it in and machine embroider the image onto fabric. He is paying 75 dollars
per image. Does this sound like a decent price? If not, what sort of machine
does this type of embroidery and how much does the machine cost? I was thinking
it was approximately $1,500. Does anyone know a brand name machine which does
this?

Thanks,
Victoria

If you just want an embroidery machine - that might do it. My aunt has a Bernina
200E - very sweet - does everything - and costs more like $ 4.500, maybe more. I
think that a sewing/embroidery machine would run anywhere from $1500 - $ 5000. The
software might cost a few hundred - depending on what you want to do and what came
with the machine. Industrial machines cost more, but they're a lot faster. The less
expensive machines may take longer, have less features. I know on the Bernina it
automatically is programmed for all the tons of color changes - some of her pieces
are amazing.

Just check out the back of some sewing or quilting mags for ads from people who
will embroider custom stuff. Or hit a LQS - the new machines are amazing . I think
TIa Mary has a Janome, IIRC ? Viking has them, so does Baby Loc, and there is a new
Singer - though I don't think that is in the same class as the others.

Ellice

Old September 23rd 04, 03:37 PM
Jenn Ridley

escapee wrote:

A friend of mine who is an artist currently gives photos to someone and they
scan it in and machine embroider the image onto fabric. He is paying 75 dollars
per image. Does this sound like a decent price?

In general, yes.

A lot will depend on how large and/or complex the original image is,
but I'd say that $75/image is a pretty good price.

I am assuming that the $75 is for the digitising and the first
embroidery, and then the digitised file is stored somewhere.
Subsequent embroideries from the same file should be less expensive,
as the hard work is done.

jen
--
Jenn Ridley :
WIP: Art Stitch Rose Trio, Emperor's Coat, Carousel, Halloween Circle
Old September 23rd 04, 10:54 PM
escapee

On 23 Sep 2004 17:50:17 GMT, ekoluvr (Tia Mary-remove
nekoluvr to reply ) opined:

From: Ellice

... I think
TIa Mary has a Janome, IIRC ? .....

Yep -- a 9000. Just about any non-commercial embroidery machine that uses
embroidery cards will do this type of work. What is involved is either using
a dedicated machine scanner to scan the photo OR having one of the car
reader/writer machines (the Magic Box is the first to come to mind). The
scanner for my machine runs close to a grand I think. The reader/writers run
about $200 on e-Bay. And don't forget that there are a LOT of different
embroidery machine languages!!
Either way, you take the photo and have to turn it into something that can
be saved onto one of your machine's embroidery cards. Once that is done, you
just put the card into your machine and the machine does most of the work for
you. I would have to say that the price of $75 for somehow digitizing a photo
and saving it to whichever medium is requested is a competitive price.
CiaoMeow ^;;^

Thanks. I will tell him that. Unfortunately, he's an artist and he only uses
one image of the produced piece. He's been getting more into fiber art, lately.
I thought if this was something he was going to stick with for a while, it would
be good for him to buy the equipment. He can always sell it when he stops using
the medium.

Thanks for all your responses.

Victoria

Embroidery software futa Machine Knit 0 February 6th 05 06:13 AM
Books about Stitches - longish list Dianne Lewandowski Needlework 20 August 8th 03 07:27 AM
CHINESE EMBROIDERY HISTORY & MORE Zoe Marketplace 0 August 7th 03 06:46 AM