I pick fabric for first quilt!

Old September 15th 04, 11:42 AM
DJDREVNA

Default I pick fabric for first quilt!

I went last night to pick out my fabric for my first quilt. My first lesson
starts today, but I can't go. I am the County Representative for the Lupus
Foundation of America and I have a Health Fair presentation to go to. I will
have to play catch up. I will have to see if my hubby can show me how to put
the pictures on here. The quilt I am making is a sampler quilt and it is
machine pieced two blocks a month. The main fabric is a paisley with lots of
colors, a lot of gold, burghandy, green, blue, both dark and light shades of
these colors. Then I chooes a deep wine color and a pionk and wine thin wavey
line fabric. Next is a gold on gold fabric with simple line drawings of stars,
flowers and swirls. Then a dark green almost looks hand died with an accent
color fabric of a lighter green with gold mards through it. Then for the small
squares in the sashing I pick a tiny floral that has the exact same colors that
the paisley has. My background fabric is a light cream and my sashing is a
deeper cream that has a very slightly gold under tone. I hope I will be able to
get a picture up of my swatchs. The lady in the quilt shop told me it was going
to be a very rich and sophistcated looking quilt.I hope it just looks like a
quilt when I get it done. LOL

The patterns I will be piecing a Jacob's Ladder, Geogretown Circle, Snails
Trails, Bow Ties, Framed Nine Patch, World Without End, Rising Star, Indian
Trails, Mosaic, Windblown Square, Pinwheel Mix, and Star of Many Points. The
one that looks the hardest to me since I have never made any of these is the
World Without End. it has so many little pieces.

The sales lady told me to hand wash the fabric in detergent. Then dry until
damp in the dryer and let air dry the rest of the way. She said to iron it and
use a spray sizing on it. I have Niagara spray starch will that work the same
or should I buy the spray sizing? What do you guys do?

I couldn't believe the cost of the fabric when you go and buy enough for a
whole quilt at one time. I just bought the amount for the top, not the backing
yet. It cost me around $145.00. My husband was with me, he likes decorating the
house we pick things out together, so I warned him ahead of time about the
cost. She had told me it would be about $125.00. But, some of the fabric I
picked was 10.50 a yard. I just hope it looks nice when I am done. I would like
to enter it in Canfield Fair next year under the catagory First Quilt.

Thanks for listening to me ramble everyone, I'm just excited!

She
Old September 15th 04, 12:09 PM
Diana Curtis

How exciting!!! You just had your first official S.E.X. !!!
Everyone deals with their fabric in their own perferred method. Some of us
prewash the fabric and press as the sales lady suggested. I dont usually
prewash. Others toss the fabric in the washer and then dry it. As you
continue making quilts you will figure out which method suits you best.
When it comes time to show us pictures, and we *do* love to look at them,
please put them up someplace else and share the url with us. Webshots and
Yahoo are two places that let you put pictures up for free. If you were to
post a picture straight to the group many folks wouldnt be able to see it.
This is a non binary group, that means no pictures.
I for one am looking forward to hearing the journey of your quilt. Good
luck!
Diana

--
Heart and soul can make up for technical lacking in any form of art, but let
the heart be lacking and all the perfection means nothing.

Old September 15th 04, 12:10 PM
-=- Jennie-=-

Hi She,
how exciting!! those colours sound wonderful wish I had the nerve to
go buy a big lot like that I'm still in the scrap pile for quilting
please please post a link for pic's can't wait to see not just the
colours but the progress of each )

Jennie
wonky seam maker to the stars

snipped oodles of good stuff

Old September 15th 04, 02:14 PM
Patti

Hullo She
I think it's fantastic that you are looking ahead at a show venue for
your very first quilt. Wonderful! I hope it all goes very well for
you.
If there *are* any blocks that you are not too sure about, try the
pattern out on some cheap/ugly fabric first. No sense in using your
good, matching fabric until you are certain you have met and overcome
any problems. Doing a practice block will give you great confidence.
The blocks you have listed sound fun - I don't know them all; but no
doubt they have been picked for variety.
Good luck, and have fun g
..
In article , DJDREVNA
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 15th 04, 03:52 PM
Donna

Sounds like a fun time picking all that fabric!! Enjoy your classes. The
fabrics sound beautiful!!
Donna

Old September 15th 04, 08:04 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
(DJDREVNA) wrote:

[...]

It sounds lovely, Sheila! I hope you post photos of the swatches so we
can see -- and keep us updated on your progress with the blocks, too.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1
Old September 15th 04, 11:06 PM
Joanna

Wow, good for you! I can't believe the price you paid. Then I'm a
cheapskate. Never have I put that much money into a quilt. Then again I
don't do classes so I can afford to take my time, wait for the fabric I
want to come on sale. I'll be looking forward to hearing your progress.
Take Care
Joanna

DJDREVNA wrote:

[...]

Remove Quilt to reply

Old September 16th 04, 12:52 AM
DJDREVNA

I felt obligated to buy the fabric from the shop I was taking the class from.
That is the most I ever spent on fabric too. That was a good idea if a block
looks like it could be trouble to do a sample one first before I use my good
fabric. I will have my husband see about webshots for pictures. My hubby is a
prograstinator and I will have to keep hounding him to help me with the
pictures. I decided to machine wash on delicate and tumble dry on low heat. But
do you guys use spray starch or sizing? Also, what is S. E. X. I know what sex
is just can't figure out the first one. LOL

She
Old September 16th 04, 12:56 AM
Kate Dicey

DJDREVNA wrote:

[...]

It sounds fantastic. You gotta post pix when you get each block done!

BTW, I machine wash the fabric I use, on a fairly gentle cycle, and I
don't syarch or size it, and it works just fine.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old September 16th 04, 01:44 AM
Clooniff

S.E.X. = Stash Enhancement eXperience You certainly had one!

Betty in CT