Treadle addition Garage sale find

Old August 10th 03, 05:16 PM
Jim Ball

Default Treadle addition Garage sale find

While taking a different route to mall last week I spotted a garage sale.
From the moving car ( not a galloping horse LOL) I noticed a treadle stand
and just had to stop by. I had been looking for a treadle singer for years
but not willing to take on the shipping costs and customs duty that an eBay
purchase would require.

As I am getting ready to have a garage sale of my own to sell things from my
Moms estate that were not wanted by family and friends the last thing I
needed to was acquire more stuff. But hey!!! it was a Singer Treadle!!!! So
after a quick once over a test drive and a nostalgic trip down memory lane
that baby was signed sealed and packed in the back of the Outback heading to
my house.

When I was talking to DH( working out in Western Canada) by phone that night
I said "Guess what I bought at a garage sale today?" He must know me well
as his immediate response was "Another Sewing Machine" He still blames me
for a back problem after slugging my 99 home from Amsterdam. LOL. I left it
in the garage along with my garage sale stuff until he was home this past
weekend. He teased that it could just stay there and attract customers to my
sale but he wasn't long hauling it upstairs to my sewing room and checking
out all the moving parts. From the notions stuffed in the drawers (kilt pins
and guide badges) it could have been the same old machine I remember from my
childhood.
I have been able to date it to 1921 New Jersey manufacture thru the dating
service. The oak is in good condition - no plants were watered on this
baby. The cast iron is dull but not painted as some I have seen. The decals
are clear for the most part, just general wear. The belt is in poor shape
and will need replacing. Thinking of naming her Suzie as the day I found her
was the day my DS brought his new Australian wife Suz home to Canada for a
visit for the first time.
Questions:
Other than eBay any one know of sources for belts???
Also how does one determine the machine model type. Would it be a 66?
How to restore the cast iron?

Thanks for sharing my excitement at my new (old) machine. Still on the hunt
for a featherweight. Mom had one but it went to DS. That's OK as she
appreciates the value and portability etc. Anyway the thrill is in the hunt
and the find. When I find one we will be able to compare and share.

Brenda (in Barrie Ont)

Old August 10th 03, 08:51 PM
taria

You should be able to easily get a belt at any sewing machine
repair shop for under $10. There are some sewing machine photos
on my web page (URL at the bottom of this note). If it has a round
bobbin about the size of a nickel it is probably a 66 or 15. A long
shuttle bobbin would be a 127, 128, 27 or 28. Just as places to
start looking. Lots of photos on the net.
Taria

Jim Ball wrote:

While taking a different route to mall last week I spotted a garage sale.
From the moving car ( not a galloping horse LOL) I noticed a treadle stand

--
Please visit my web page at:
http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/taria/index.htm
Old August 10th 03, 09:52 PM
julia sidebottom

Congratulations on your wonderful find.
You should be able to find a belt relatively easily. Since treadle
machines are still being manufactured many sewing machine stores sell
them. The belts are uniform in size and can be cut to fit your machine
perfectly. I have routinely purchased them for about $5.00 usa. Also by
going to the singer web site you can track down the actual age of your
machine. Each machine has a serial number (many are on a plate on the
front of the machine). Just key in that number and you will be able to
track the model number and year of manufacturing. As far as restoration
of the iron there are a few items available that can remove rust or
tarnish from the iron. Off the top of my head I don't recall the brand
I have used. I don't think I have any left from the last one I did (it
has been a few years now ). At one time I have 15 treadles, when I
moved here most of them were donated to the Henry Ford Museum just
outside of Detroit MI. When I purchased or acquired some of these
machines they needed more than a bit of help. But in time they were all
in working order.
Enjoy your new baby! And be sure to use it for a quilt here and there.
juliasb

Jim Ball wrote:
While taking a different route to mall last week I spotted a garage sale.
From the moving car ( not a galloping horse LOL) I noticed a treadle stand
[...]

Remove (nospam) from address.

now...
come and journey with me from darkness....
.... into New Life http://www.nwlife.com

Old August 14th 03, 12:13 AM
TerriLee in WA

You know, I think I have a manual for a 66. email me privately if you
need one. (and be patient, as my DH hogs the computer some days)

IMS wrote:

Oh congratulations on your new find!! I think RonAnderson at A1 carries
belts for treadles. I'm going to need one, too, for my grandmom's
Singer treadle 66 Redeye which I'll be getting soon.

http://www.a1sewingmachine.com/

Did you get a manual with your machine? The model number is on the
front page of the manual. If you don't have a manual, then you need to
resort to comparison! To identify your machine, try:

http://www.demon.co.uk/quinn/singer/index.html

This site also has restoration tips:

http://www.demon.co.uk/quinn/care/index.html

Again congrats on your find! Vintage Singers are dang near impossible
to kill, and after restoring 20+ of them I know your machine will reward
you for your time and effort!!

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 09:16:02 -0700, "Jim Ball"
wrote:

While taking a different route to mall last week I spotted a garage sale.
From the moving car ( not a galloping horse LOL) I noticed a treadle stand
[...]

TerriLee Bishop
(opinions are wholly owned by the author and don't represent anything)
;-)
my real email is tlbishop at earthlink dot net
Old August 14th 03, 09:03 AM
Helen Howes

All you need to know-

www.treadleon.net

Helen
Old August 14th 03, 11:09 AM
Kate Dicey

IMS wrote:

Thanks for the offer TerriLee, but I've got the 66 manual! It has all
the original stuff with it, it's just the belt that needs replacing.

Grandma even stuck her hair nets and hair pins in the drawers...she'd
put one on before sewing so her hair wouldn't get in her face. The
drawers are stuffed with attachments, buttons, thread, needles, zippers,
material scraps, tools....Grandma didn't throw anything out! :-)

Keep the old thread for the memories it evokes, but don't try to use
it. Old thread deteriorates.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk