Clay Boss wheel - blown circuitboard - I need a part, but from where?

Old April 12th 07, 08:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

Default Clay Boss wheel - blown circuitboard - I need a part, but from where?

So much to learn in life, so little time....

"David Coggins" wrote in message
HUGE THANKS to Rob Morley for identifying the blown cap-- I mean the
blown Metal Oxide Varistor.

Unable to find the exact replacement, but found a very similar one,
specs only slightly higher. Soldered it in, turned it on, and our
little Clay Boss runs like a champ again.

VICTORY!

Thumbs Up!!! Been waiting to see how this went. DK

Just a small technical point about MOVs. These are designed to draw a
heavy current when the input voltage exceeds the rated figure, which blows
a protective fuse and usually the MOV as well. This protects the rest of
the electronics from nasty high voltage spikes. Removing the MOV and
replacing the fuse will usually get the device to work again, but
obviously without any overvoltage protection. However, it could be handy
in an emergency situation for a short time.

Cheers

Dave

Old April 12th 07, 11:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
töff

designed to draw a heavy
current when the input voltage
exceeds the rated figure, which blows a
protective fuse and usually the MOV as well.

It lends a lot of credence to the theory that the outlet was a 220
rather than a 110.

I am thinking to carry a little AC tablelamp or something to any
future remote site where we have to use this wheel, so I blow that
instead of the Clay Boss.

As a side note, the day before I posted to this newsgroup, I used the
"contact us" form on the Creative Industries website. I have not heard
back, and I honestly don't expect to. Lends a lot of credence to my
belief that the customer service sector in this country has suffered
an atrophying pandemic. /end rant.

Old April 13th 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
töff

Why not a multimeter? You can buy a cheap one for about $10, and
they're useful for other stuff too.

/ot/ Because I have too many THINGS cluttering my universe, and I hate
to trade what little money I have for more THINGS.

Clay Boss wheel Jim Pottery 2 January 10th 07 09:16 PM
Wedged clay - ready-made balls for the wheel? Bubbles Pottery 3 July 4th 05 11:42 PM
Brent ie, Clay Boss, or Bailey which one shall I buy? Lischneid Pottery 2 June 13th 04 04:42 AM
COMM: Polymer clay, shape boss, embossing powders etc Jan Ruhnow Rubberstamps 0 November 10th 03 05:19 PM
COMM: Shape Boss, Embossing powders, polymer clay Jan Ruhnow General Crafting 0 November 10th 03 05:19 PM