What is the value of a used kiln?

Old October 3rd 05, 02:19 PM
dkat

Agree 99.999%. What I do like about Clayart is the archives and the lack of
attack by trolls that rooms like this can get. I sure would like to get my
hands on organizing Clayart though (my OCD coming through). Donna

"Bob Masta" wrote in message
On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 12:10:37 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

Thanks, dkat. The process seems to be an automated procedure; and I was
also informed after entering my information that a cover letter had been
sent, which I am assuming to be the typical "verification" email. I'll
wait a week and see what happens, though.

Clayart has recurring technical problems. I normally get the digest
version and it hasn't arrived in the last few days. A lot of
Clayart's problems are due to it's strange setup: The moderator
is not the list owner, and has no access to the host system. That
system resides in a distant location, and as far as I can determine
is under the jurisdiction of someone who has little time to deal
with it, and probably not much experience with listservs in general.
The moderator apparently doesn't want to hassle this overworked
person, and since he has never had the opportunity to maintain
the system himself he doesn't know what settings to ask for, etc.

For example, he puts up with tons of spam every day, which he
manually filters out before passing along to the group, but which
could be completely eliminated by a few simple setup changes.
Likewise, all message traffic is posted to the Web archives, with
your Email address still attached, so as a subscriber you should
be prepared for a barrage of spam from Web-scanning name
harvesters. (Other lists have fitlers that "munge" your address
before posting, so humans can read it but machines can't.)

But it is certainly the biggest and best group of potters. Too
bad they don't all move over to this NG. No mderator needed,
and practically no spam!

Bob Masta
dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom

D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Home of DaqGen, the FREEWARE signal generator

Old October 3rd 05, 10:14 PM
Jon Danniken

Thanks Bob, and Dkat; I did receive my confirmation letters today. Dkat,
you mentioned archives; what is the address for these?

Thanks,

Jon

Old October 3rd 05, 11:07 PM
dkat

http://www.potters.org/categories.htm
is the easiest way to get there. If that doesn't work for you, let me know.

Old October 4th 05, 01:55 PM
Bob Masta

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 09:19:41 -0400, "dkat"
wrote:

Agree 99.999%. What I do like about Clayart is the archives and the lack of
attack by trolls that rooms like this can get. I sure would like to get my
hands on organizing Clayart though (my OCD coming through). Donna

Being a participant in both moderated and unmoderated groups/lists,
I guess I'm not so concerned about trolls, flames, etc that moderators
are supposed to be guarding against. In fact, I don't think a
moderator can really guard effectively against any but the most
blatant trolls, since the sneakier ones can always make their
messages look half-way reasonable. Trolling seems rare on all
but the most popular groups... you notice we don't seem to get
any here, and rarely any spam. ;-))

Only one unmoderated group that I participate in gets much in
the way of flames, and that's usually infrequent. And with an
unmoderated newsgroup it's still easy enough to block a thread that
you don't care for.

I guess I'm glad to take responsibility for what I choose to
view or not, and put up with some small inconveniences.
This certainly seems better than having a moderator wasting
hours each day doing something with a marginal payback
(or in the case of spam, a total waste of time that could have
been avoided by proper setup).

Just my 2 cents worth... ;-)

Old October 6th 05, 02:21 AM
dkat

Ponds.rec became unreadable by cross posting and trolling (jehovah witness
news group). Of course in there we made the mistake of going OT on
politics/sex/religion - the three subjects not discussed in 'polite' society
for a reason apparently.