looking for a specialty clay recipe

Old March 31st 04, 07:13 PM
Diego

I've got a neighbor that is really in to guns. I'll see if he has one.
I gave them up when I was 16 when my dad took me hunting.
I had Bambi in my sight and couldn't pull the trigger. I'm the
guy who took the Idaho State championship in marksmanship
in 1975. Now I'm an NRA card carrying non-violent, Buddhist,
aesthetic, artist that doesn't even own a gun but supports the right
to bear arms. Now there is a dichotomous personality for you.

Tim, I'll check it out. He even has a horseshoe pit in his back yard,
right next to my teahouse, where we can practice.

Diego

"TimR" wrote in message
om...
"Diego" wrote in message

.. .
Hi Tim:

I use the plasticine clay from this company:

http://www.kleanklay.com/

They ship in 50lb cases for about $67.50 US shipping included.
You can order it in soft to extra firm. I use the firm for bronze
sculpture. Nice for detail, but stiff enough to give your hands
a real work out. I have not "experienced" the extra firm, but
it might be just what you are looking for. It comes in individually
wrapped 1lb blocks or I think they will send you one big unwrapped
50lb block. Just stack a couple of these on top of each other
and away you go.

Diego

Thanks, that might be exactly what I was looking for, and the kids can
use it for their art projects too.

I don't suppose you happen to have an airgun handy and could shoot a
block, just to see how deep it went? grin A 50 pound block would
probably work for firearms, but be overkill for an airgun. We're
looking for something stiff enough to stop a pellet in 1/4 inch to 1/2
inch depending on power.

Old April 4th 04, 12:42 AM
Diego

Hi Tim:

Results are in. I put two one pound blocks of the firm back to back forming
a two inch thickness. The pellet went through the whole thing at 40ft.
You'll
probably need the extra firm and maybe get the results you want.

Diego

"TimR" wrote in message
om...

.. .

Old April 4th 04, 11:15 AM
TimR

"Diego" noone@nowhere wrote in message ...
Hi Tim:

Results are in. I put two one pound blocks of the firm back to back forming
a two inch thickness. The pellet went through the whole thing at 40ft.
You'll
probably need the extra firm and maybe get the results you want.

Diego

Thanks, I appreciate the effort. Hope you had fun doing it! I
actually would not have expected an air rifle to go through that much
clay. On the other hand, I was pretty surprised the first time I saw
a CB cap go through a 2x4, too.

glas FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 October 16th 03 07:50 PM
Modeling clay as a substitute for "clay bars" for auto detailing? Jon Noring Polymer Clay 4 September 23rd 03 12:36 AM
Glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 1 September 18th 03 04:16 PM
glaze FAQ's Tom Buck Pottery 0 August 18th 03 01:26 AM
FAQ:Intro to rec.crafts.pottery Mishy Lowe Pottery 0 July 18th 03 06:05 AM