OT Particularly for Nightmist or Anyone With A Cool Name

Old November 6th 04, 09:14 PM
NanaV

Default OT Particularly for Nightmist or Anyone With A Cool Name

So, here's your funny story. I was saying to DH that I was thinking of a
new screen name for group. He asked why and I said "Well, I really do like
Nana but some of the others have cool names. Neat ones like "Nightmist".
So my husband says "Well, if you like stuff like Nightmist, just pick a cool
name." I said I couldn't think of one so he said he thought of one as cool
as Nightmist. His idea? Oh - ""Ground Fog". Well - I guess he could have
gone with "Swamp Gas"!

Nana - who has decided that what is good enough for DGD is good enough for
her!!

Old November 6th 04, 11:40 PM
georg

NanaV wrote:

So, here's your funny story. I was saying to DH that I was thinking of a
new screen name for group. He asked why and I said "Well, I really do like
Nana but some of the others have cool names. Neat ones like "Nightmist".
So my husband says "Well, if you like stuff like Nightmist, just pick a cool
name." I said I couldn't think of one so he said he thought of one as cool
as Nightmist. His idea? Oh - ""Ground Fog". Well - I guess he could have
gone with "Swamp Gas"!

Nana - who has decided that what is good enough for DGD is good enough for
her!!

What's wrong with just using your first name? And there is nothing wrong
with being Nana either. It's Who You Are that counts, not what we call you.

-georg
(yes, that really is the name)
Old November 7th 04, 08:00 AM
Listpig

I've always preferred calling that "ground clouds". g

OK: preface. I'm brain fried---first two days of the run of the play, I've
not had over four hours sleep in days, I've been up now a whole lot of hours
(I ran out of fingers), so take it with a grain of salt. Brain is
definitely in uncontrolled free-association mode.

I said to myself "what's as cool as nightmist?" and myself replied "Quantum
Fairy."

I have no idea what it means, but you're welcome to it if you like it.
Especially if *you* can figure out what it means.

LOL

--pig

Old November 7th 04, 02:33 PM
Helen Howes

All this screen name stuff comes from hacker culture- it is what you
do if you don't want to have your sins come back at you. What's wrong
with your own name? I have used mine, and the same email address, not
hidden, for many years without any problems...
Or are you all ashamed of yourselves (snicker)

Helen Howes
Our Lady of the Biscuits

http://www.raindropkites.co.uk
http://www.helenhowestextiles.co.uk
Old November 7th 04, 02:53 PM
NightMist

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 23:40:04 GMT, georg wrote:

NanaV wrote:

So, here's your funny story. I was saying to DH that I was thinking of a
new screen name for group. He asked why and I said "Well, I really do like
Nana but some of the others have cool names. Neat ones like "Nightmist".
So my husband says "Well, if you like stuff like Nightmist, just pick a cool
name." I said I couldn't think of one so he said he thought of one as cool
as Nightmist. His idea? Oh - ""Ground Fog". Well - I guess he could have
gone with "Swamp Gas"!

Nana - who has decided that what is good enough for DGD is good enough for
her!!

What's wrong with just using your first name? And there is nothing wrong
with being Nana either. It's Who You Are that counts, not what we call you.

-georg
(yes, that really is the name)

Nana works. As I said once before, it makes me think of hot cocoa and
crocheting in the breakfast nook on a winters afternoon. I never even
called my gramma nana and it calls that to mind! I like it.

Truth, NightMist is a shortening of what some people called me in a
social enviroment where they were nervous of useing their actual
names. Nothing illegal mind you, just well based social anxiety.
They didn't use their names and as such were uncomfortable useing
mine. When I got online (IRC came before web or usenet at my isp) I
found that I had to pick a name to use. My first name, being common,
was unavailable in any form. So I just typed in what they called me
there. It was too long, so I messed about taking out this and that
and it left nightmist, so I just capitalized the N and the M. Thus
undernet IRC is pretty much responsible for me being called NightMist.
When I came to usenet it was to talk to people I knew on IRC in a less
scroller coaster prone enviroment, so I kept the name they knew me by.
I never changed it because A) I am too lazy to poke into the
software's guts and B) because there is almost always at least one
Barbara (or variation therof) everywhere. My one concession is
signing myself Barbara in rec.arts.fine , they are odd that way there
many days. Now I am at the point where half the people I know even
offline call me NM or sometimes Misty (when I don't threaten mayhem
quick enough).

So it's more an accident than anything. It's not all that cool, and
to me Misty will always be a pony. You wouldn't believe the number of
emails I got from the clueless after they opened up that game called
nightmist either!

NightMist
also a color of car paint and a panda
--
"It's such a gamble when you get a face"
- Richard Hell
Old November 7th 04, 05:43 PM
Johanna Gibson

NanaV wrote:

[...]

When I was on the chat rooms years ago, when it was full of US and
UK university students in their spare time and there was no porn
around, and no kiddies on computers to get lured into dangerous
activities..... there were just too many "Jo"s around. So I was
MacBeth for years. They always wanted a name when you logged on, and
I couldn't think of anything! But I have read and analyzed MacBeth
many, many times in school so I just used that. I used to get
birthday and Christmas cards from my net buddies addressed to MacBeth.
That's why it's so funny that I eventually ended up in Scotland, not
15 miles away from Glamis castle. Life is funny that way.
But when I started posting here, I thought "there will be a plethora
of Jos again" so I signed "Jo in Scotland". Now I hardly see any Jos,
and the only other Johanna here lives in Finland.
Anyway, you all know where I live!

-- Jo in Scotland
Old November 7th 04, 06:13 PM
NinaJ

NanaV wrote:

[...]

Yup, Jo. Some of my relatives live quite a bit north of you in
Dufftown - whiskey country.

Nina
Canada
Old November 7th 04, 07:53 PM
Debra

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 16:14:58 -0500, "NanaV" wrote:

I said I couldn't think of one so he said he thought of one as cool
as Nightmist. His idea? Oh - ""Ground Fog". Well - I guess he could have
gone with "Swamp Gas"!

Nana

Too funny!

Ok. First, NightMist sounds like a gamer's name. Many gamer type
names are made by just taking two words that are either opposite
meanings, same/similar meanings, or just very unlikely to be put in
combination a two word combination with each other and slamming them
together until you find something that sounds good to you. For some
examples: opposites--Midnight Dawn or Twilight Dawn (I tried Dawn
Midnight first but that sounds like a street walker's name.),
similar/same.....Dawn Daybreak or Dawn Morning, and unlikely.....Dawn
Rhapsody or Dawn Falls.

The odd thing is that "Ground Fog" may not be so bad if you get out a
thesaurus and look up the words for alternative wording. You could
play with that until you find a combination that you like. Let's
see.......Ground=earth, and fog can be wispy, so perhaps Earth Wisp.
There might be a lot of possible of variations on Ground Fog, some
good, some really bad (like "Dirt Pea Soup") but you won't really know
unless you play around with it.

I've also seen names that were made by taking all the letters in your
real name and scrambling them into something new.

I love clever names like Helen A Handbasket and Polly Esther, but I
can't think of one for myself. So far the best I've come up with is
La Mae and Sue P R Suede for fabric oriented names and neither seems
to fit me. (Forgive me Polly if it's your real name but this ng does
deal with fabric.)

Debra in VA
Old November 8th 04, 12:41 AM
Kate Dicey

NanaV wrote:

[...]

Some of mine live further up than that - in Thurso! My uncle used to
work at Dounray, and while he has moved south, some of my cousins are
still up there.

As for on-line names, for me it's like life: you just get me, coz I CBA
to be anyone else!

--
Kate XXXXXX (Feeling all achy and grumpy today. If the BBC ever to a
Grumpy Old Bats series to go with Grumpy Old Men, I'll be one of them!)
Old November 8th 04, 02:55 AM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

I like your DH's sense of humor!

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

"NanaV" wrote in message
So, here's your funny story. I was saying to DH that I was thinking of a
new screen name for group. He asked why and I said "Well, I really do

like
Nana but some of the others have cool names. Neat ones like "Nightmist".
So my husband says "Well, if you like stuff like Nightmist, just pick a

cool
name." I said I couldn't think of one so he said he thought of one as

cool
as Nightmist. His idea? Oh - ""Ground Fog". Well - I guess he could

have
gone with "Swamp Gas"!

Nana - who has decided that what is good enough for DGD is good enough for
her!!

---