question about machine quilting machines

Old August 31st 07, 02:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Musicmaker

Default question about machine quilting machines

Since I have TOO MANY QUILTS to make and not enough years to hand
quilt them all, I'm researching the possibility of purchasing a sewing
machine (NOT LONGARM) that can accomodate more bulk than the average
machine between the needle and the body of the machine. I don't have
the space or money for a regular longarm machine but I believe there
are table top sewing machines out there that are bigger than average
in the arm space. Any of you have or know of this kind of machine?

Musicmaker

Old August 31st 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Aug 31, 9:39 am, Musicmaker wrote:
Since I have TOO MANY QUILTS to make and not enough years to hand
quilt them all, I'm researching the possibility of purchasing a sewing
machine (NOT LONGARM) that can accomodate more bulk than the average
machine between the needle and the body of the machine. I don't have
the space or money for a regular longarm machine but I believe there
are table top sewing machines out there that are bigger than average
in the arm space. Any of you have or know of this kind of machine?

Musicmaker

I bought a Janome 1600db with about 9-1/2 inches of harp space and
stitching speed of about 1600 spm and have been very happy with it. If
you check online you can get the base machine for about 600 dollars
and free shipping from a number of venders. Pocono sew and vac, was
where I bought mine and I love the added space it gives for bed size
quilting, Janome stitch quality is famous, also. This is a straight
stitch machine.
Another machine, that is similar is the Juki, and it is about the same
amount of money. Your choice, but I have had experience with Janome
and I like their products. Service is more likely to be available
locally if you need it on the Janome also. I would suggest getting the
optional table extension for whatever you buy as it gives more support
for the fabric that you are feeding through the machine and this is
helpful on large sized quilts. I built myself a large table and cut
out the top to allow the machine to nest into the top of the table and
it provides a much larger platform for support of the quilt. Here is a
link of a picture of the machine in place.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...00692635ZmFSXN

I hope this helps,

John

Old August 31st 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rita in MA

Hi,

Several of us have the Janome MC6600P (or the MC6500P). There is a
yahoo group just for these machines. It is at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Janome6500/

I have the 6600 and love it although I have not used it for quilting so
I can't speak to its capability there. If you join the yahoo group and
ask this question, you will hear raves about it though :-)

Rita L.

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/ggollymm
Old August 31st 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I bought the 6600 a few months ago. It is a nice machine. If you need
an overall multitask machine it is a good choice. If not I would look
into the Janome 1600 John mentioned. I have a Brother 1500 that is
basically the same machine as the Juki-TL98. It served me well. It
actually sewed faster then the J-6600 but had no bells or whistles. I
think Pfaff has a similar model. I would suggest sewing on all that
you can.
There will probably one that is right for you. I realized after I
bought the 6600 that it is slower at top speed than the Brother 1500 but
the 1600 should be faster. May or may not make a difference to you.
The one thing that has been really important to me is having any machine
in a table or cabinet that is flush at a good height for you. Will be a
big help. Older cabinets can be modified. Janome makes a table for a
bit over $200 that their machine can sit in too.

http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/sto...3&Item_ID=2338

There have been discussions here before so you might want to google to
get additional comments.
If you are doing much machine quilting on a home machine the extra size
really does make a big difference and it worth it IMO. I am pretty
irritated that Bernina won't come out of the dark ages and realize that.
Let us know what you get and how you like it.
Taria

Old August 31st 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Musicmaker:
Can't help with the SM choice, but I second Taria's
remarks about position of the SM flush in the table
top. I would also recommend you have space around the
SM to support the quilting. A couple weeks ago, I
placed my ironing board snug to the back of my SM desk,
as same height. This prevented the quilt from dragging
over the back. You can buy tables with a leaf for same
purpose, or improvise as I did. Just try to get the SM
set flush.
PAT

Old August 31st 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Liz A.

If you want even more space, but don't have the room for a
HandiQuilter, they do offer a sit down, table version. I took the
plunge last year and bought the full HQ16 system and I'm NOT sorry in
the least. It's a tight fit in my sewing room, but well worth the
sacrifice.

LizA.
Kent, WA
http://picasaweb.google.com/dittodog

Musicmaker wrote:
Since I have TOO MANY QUILTS to make and not enough years to hand
quilt them all, I'm researching the possibility of purchasing a sewing
machine (NOT LONGARM) that can accomodate more bulk than the average
machine between the needle and the body of the machine. I don't have
the space or money for a regular longarm machine but I believe there
are table top sewing machines out there that are bigger than average
in the arm space. Any of you have or know of this kind of machine?

Musicmaker- Hide quoted text -

Old September 1st 07, 12:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary in Rock Island IL

I just read that a new machine is being unveiled at the Pfaff
convention next week. While details are apparently hush hush, there
was a suggestion that it will feature a large harp area. Unless you
are in big rush, you may want to wait so as to include this in your
search.
Pfaff's integrated dual feed is hard to beat!

Mary
Old September 1st 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

The Janome has what seems to be a rip off of the dual feed set up
Pfaff has. It also has differential like many sergers do. Nice to
see more of this type machine available. That is a good thing.
Taria

Old September 1st 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Musicmaker

I'm glad I'm not going to purchase this immediately - it looks like
the machine makers are beginning to respond to the need for a larger
harp space. It so far looks like the Husqvarna Viking Sapphires have
10 inches long harp, larger than anything else for the home table top
user. I definitely want to see what Pfaff is unveiling on Sept 5,
though, cause the preview looks like it has an even longer arm and
harp space. Now, to figure out how to communicate to my dh about this
very special Christmas gift I'm hoping for.....

Musicmaker

Old September 2nd 07, 02:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

If you need help on the communication for Christmas presents then we
can probably help do that. Nothing as subtle as Pat's begging. YOu
have to be straight forward about this kind of thing. The best
suggestion I have is something along the lines of letting DH know
you are going to be getting the sewing machine for yourself after
the holidays. If he wants an easy gift that will in the long run
save him money since you are going to get the machine anyway and
he has to buy a gift anyway he will buy the machine. Get my drift?
LOL
Taria