neat tutorial on layered applique

Old September 1st 07, 02:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

Default neat tutorial on layered applique

I know I'm piggy-backing on my own post, but this is a local woman, Sue
Stewart, and she has this quilt in the show

http://www.susanstewartdesigns.com/g...(gall ery)=90

You have no idea how beautiful it is in person. And she didn't win best in
show! I'll try to get a picture of that pansy quilt tomorrow.

Cindy

"teleflora" wrote in message

"Debra" wrote in message

Since you don't turn under the edges do you straight stitch your
pieces before satin stitching, use double layers of satin stitch, use
fusible web around the outside edges of your pieces, or simply cut and
satin stitch? All of them are good methods, some just last longer
than others. For wall hangings or everyday use quilts for myself I
just cut and satin stitch, but if I make a block for a swap or a gift
quilt, I turn under edges because I want the applique to last as long
as the pieced parts.

If I am doing a machine blanket stitch ( I almost never satin stitch, but
when I have to, I do it this way as well), I cut out the middle of my
fusible webb and just use the narrowest amount possible. I don't like
the stiffness. I iron that down and then blanket stitch.

Since almost everything I do is tiny, my quilts don't get a lot of wear
and tear!

If I'm going to the trouble of turning the edge (whether by needle turn or
one of the other technicques), then by golly that turned under edge is
going to be seen... and admired!

Cindy got a judges choice with one of my small quilts today. First
entry, first ribbon. This ain't so hard! :-)

Our quilt show starts tomorrow. If anyone is in the Pittsburg Kansas
area, come see the beautiful quilts we have. Great show.

Cindy

Applique will last longer with turned under edges. If the thread gets
worn it is easy to remove the old thread and sew the piece back on
before it has a chance to be frayed. That's why heirloom applique
always has the edges turned under.

Debra in VA
See my quilts at

Old September 1st 07, 08:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Well done on getting a ribbon, Cindy!.
..
In message , teleflora
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 1st 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default Ribbon winner e: neat tutorial on layered applique

Yippee for Cindy! PAT

Old September 1st 07, 09:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

somehow missed that in your post Cindy.
well done you.
first time entry and first time ribbon!!!!
we're gonna have to keep a close watch on you, me thinks.
we need to break out the champers and chocolate, eh.
wheres the pix of this little beauty?
we all wanna drool properly ya know.
happy dancing under the palms in the south pacific,
jeanne

"Pat in Virginia" wrote...
Yippee for Cindy! PAT

Old September 1st 07, 10:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

I'm brining the licorice this go round. WAY TO GO Cindy! First timer you
have GOT to share a pix of it and also a pix of it with the ribbon.

Butterfly (Please)

Old September 3rd 07, 04:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 19:57:43 -0500, "teleflora"
wrote:

Cindy got a judges choice with one of my small quilts today. First entry,
first ribbon. This ain't so hard! :-)

Oops, forgot to say congrats on your win!
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old September 3rd 07, 04:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 19:57:43 -0500, "teleflora"
wrote:

"Debra" wrote in message
.. .

Since you don't turn under the edges do you straight stitch your
pieces before satin stitching, use double layers of satin stitch, use
fusible web around the outside edges of your pieces, or simply cut and
satin stitch? All of them are good methods, some just last longer
than others. For wall hangings or everyday use quilts for myself I
just cut and satin stitch, but if I make a block for a swap or a gift
quilt, I turn under edges because I want the applique to last as long
as the pieced parts.

If I am doing a machine blanket stitch ( I almost never satin stitch, but
when I have to, I do it this way as well), I cut out the middle of my
fusible webb and just use the narrowest amount possible. I don't like the
stiffness. I iron that down and then blanket stitch.

I'm not willing to use fusible at all: 1-stiffness 2-I'm fusible
challenged and just make messes. Yes, it's always messes, never just
a mess; on the iron, ironing board, rest of the block, and anywhere
else I could possibly melt the awful stuff onto. Instead, I turn my
edges.

Since almost everything I do is tiny, my quilts don't get a lot of wear and
tear!

Tiny makes me nuts. I've got big hands and I'm not sewing any pieces
that require tweezers to hold. My quilts end up human sized so they
get used. I figure if dolls or mice want quilts they can make their
own.

If I'm going to the trouble of turning the edge (whether by needle turn or
one of the other technicques), then by golly that turned under edge is going
to be seen... and admired!

If my turned edges are not perfect I hide 'em.

Cindy got a judges choice with one of my small quilts today. First entry,
first ribbon. This ain't so hard! :-)

Our quilt show starts tomorrow. If anyone is in the Pittsburg Kansas area,
come see the beautiful quilts we have. Great show.

The link in your other reply gives me ideas for using insertion lace.
Kool looking quilt too.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

Focus on Applique: Ugly fabrics = great for applique Debra Quilting 25 October 1st 06 07:00 AM
neat! DrQuilter Quilting 11 August 24th 06 06:57 PM
OT but really neat Cheryl Isaak Needlework 10 May 11th 05 03:10 AM
neat wool [email protected] Yarn 1 April 2nd 05 01:27 PM
Hem +Bead =neat Elaine Baeza Needlework 4 August 19th 04 04:32 AM