neat tutorial on layered applique

Old August 29th 07, 07:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

Default neat tutorial on layered applique

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8602957...20113826/show/

for those who are interested.
i'm on dial up so took a fair while to load but worth it, i reckon.
enjoy!
jeanne

Old August 29th 07, 10:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Interesting! Not sure I'd ever use this particular method, but good to have
options.
Her ironing board cover looked like part of the project at first!
Roberta in D

Old August 29th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

Me too!. Roberta! I thought, "what's that idiot doing ironing on top of her
FABRIC!"

I have a question - why would you go to the trouble of needle-turning a
piece, only to satin stitch it down?

Isn't that usually an either/or situation?

I enjoyed the slides though. I don't know if it would occur to me to sew
the small pieces on top of the larger pieces before anchoring it all to the
main fabric. Smart.

Cindy

Old August 29th 07, 08:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
TwinMom

I have a question - why would you go to the trouble of needle-turning a
piece, only to satin stitch it down?

Isn't that usually an either/or situation?

That was my thought as well. Also, I can't imagine trying to remove that
satin stitched freezer paper after the fact. It seems that it would make the
stitching area unnaturally stiff. I would usually remove the freeze paper
before doing the satin stitch.

As a whole though, it does give a good visual about the layer process in
general.

Old August 29th 07, 11:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

i've used freezer paper and plain paper both to layer applique pieces.
by hand i've used a needleturn stitch to attach the pieces to one another
with EPP basted onto regular paper.

i dont do machine applique tho, i'm hopeless at that.
if i did i'd not zigzag but use a narrow blindhem stitch then the freezer
paper should remove fairly easy.

did i see that last bit right?? on dial up i wont load it again to check...
did she sew the finished butterfly onto the front of a single piece of
fabric and turn it rightside out?
i did that with my monarch. sew'd it that way first tho and then reversed
applique a wee bit at a time.
worked a treat.
there is a pix of it on my webshots...username nzlstar.
sorry dont have the link since h/d crashed and i am not saving links into
favs anymore.
if i cant find something i'll google.
its too disheartening to lose all my files, not just the favs.
so if i dont use favs anymore one less thing to worry about if i have
another h/d crash.
this is the second time on this system. WD h/ds are lousey. i'll never have
one of those again.
sorry, moaning again.
jeanne

"TwinMom" wrote...

Old August 30th 07, 06:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 09:44:39 -0500, "teleflora"
wrote:

Me too!. Roberta! I thought, "what's that idiot doing ironing on top of her
FABRIC!"

I have a question - why would you go to the trouble of needle-turning a
piece, only to satin stitch it down?

Because that's not needleturn. She used the freezer paper template as
a guide to turn the edges and starch them in place, then popped out
the paper. Theoretically you can get really smooth edges with this
method, but I haven't been doing it long enough to satisfy myself. I
always satin stitch over the edges when I use this method of preparing
my pieces.

Isn't that usually an either/or situation?

Yes, needleturn is a hand applique method where you turn under the
edge as you stitch, usually only turning under 1/4 to 1/2 inch ahead
of your next stitch. When using this method, piece preparation is
only cutting the pieces out so it is a time saving method.

I enjoyed the slides though. I don't know if it would occur to me to sew
the small pieces on top of the larger pieces before anchoring it all to the
main fabric. Smart.

Cindy

Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old August 30th 07, 07:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 19:06:50 GMT, "TwinMom"
wrote:

I have a question - why would you go to the trouble of needle-turning a
piece, only to satin stitch it down?

Isn't that usually an either/or situation?

That was my thought as well.

That's not needleturn. Needleturn is used for hand applique only.

Also, I can't imagine trying to remove that
satin stitched freezer paper after the fact. It seems that it would make the
stitching area unnaturally stiff. I would usually remove the freeze paper
before doing the satin stitch.

She used the freezer paper template as a guide to turn the edges and
starch them in place, then popped out the paper. She then machine
satin stitched the small piece into place on the next layer. In this
case the freezer paper on the second piece was acting as a stabilizer
to prevent tunneling of the satin stitches used to apply the smaller
piece. After applying the smaller piece, the paper template could
also be used as a template for turning the edges of the larger piece,
then removed before applying it to another piece of fabric. Satin
stitch makes it really easy to tear away the freezer paper, with only
a little bit caught under the stitches, and that will eventually come
out during quilt washing.

Theoretically you can get really smooth edges with this paper template
and starch method, but I haven't been doing it long enough to satisfy
myself. You end up with nice soft applique using this method because
you do remove the paper before sewing each layer down.

Old August 30th 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

"Debra" wrote in message

I always satin stitch over the edges when I use this method of preparing
my pieces.

Really? I only satin stitch over a raw edge. If those turn-unders are
neat, there's no way I'm covering that up. Plus, it makes the edge a little
bulkier than I like.

Cindy

Old August 30th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 10:07:01 -0500, "teleflora"
wrote:

"Debra" wrote in message
.. .

I always satin stitch over the edges when I use this method of preparing
my pieces.

Really? I only satin stitch over a raw edge. If those turn-unders are
neat, there's no way I'm covering that up. Plus, it makes the edge a little
bulkier than I like.

Cindy

Like I said, I don't get perfect edge results every time with this
method yet. :-( That takes practice and patience. I'd use blind
hem stitch or hand stitch if I did get perfect edges.

Since you don't turn under the edges do you straight stitch your
pieces before satin stitching, use double layers of satin stitch, use
fusible web around the outside edges of your pieces, or simply cut and
satin stitch? All of them are good methods, some just last longer
than others. For wall hangings or everyday use quilts for myself I
just cut and satin stitch, but if I make a block for a swap or a gift
quilt, I turn under edges because I want the applique to last as long
as the pieced parts.

Applique will last longer with turned under edges. If the thread gets
worn it is easy to remove the old thread and sew the piece back on
before it has a chance to be frayed. That's why heirloom applique
always has the edges turned under.

Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old September 1st 07, 01:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

"Debra" wrote in message

Since you don't turn under the edges do you straight stitch your
pieces before satin stitching, use double layers of satin stitch, use
fusible web around the outside edges of your pieces, or simply cut and
satin stitch? All of them are good methods, some just last longer
than others. For wall hangings or everyday use quilts for myself I
just cut and satin stitch, but if I make a block for a swap or a gift
quilt, I turn under edges because I want the applique to last as long
as the pieced parts.

If I am doing a machine blanket stitch ( I almost never satin stitch, but
when I have to, I do it this way as well), I cut out the middle of my
fusible webb and just use the narrowest amount possible. I don't like the
stiffness. I iron that down and then blanket stitch.

Since almost everything I do is tiny, my quilts don't get a lot of wear and
tear!

If I'm going to the trouble of turning the edge (whether by needle turn or
one of the other technicques), then by golly that turned under edge is going
to be seen... and admired!

Cindy got a judges choice with one of my small quilts today. First entry,
first ribbon. This ain't so hard! :-)

Our quilt show starts tomorrow. If anyone is in the Pittsburg Kansas area,
come see the beautiful quilts we have. Great show.

Cindy

Applique will last longer with turned under edges. If the thread gets
worn it is easy to remove the old thread and sew the piece back on
before it has a chance to be frayed. That's why heirloom applique
always has the edges turned under.

Debra in VA
See my quilts at

Focus on Applique: Ugly fabrics = great for applique Debra Quilting 25 October 1st 06 07:00 AM
neat! DrQuilter Quilting 11 August 24th 06 06:57 PM
OT but really neat Cheryl Isaak Needlework 10 May 11th 05 03:10 AM
neat wool [email protected] Yarn 1 April 2nd 05 01:27 PM
Hem +Bead =neat Elaine Baeza Needlework 4 August 19th 04 04:32 AM