has anyone added a machine to thier hand quilting frame?

Old July 21st 05, 06:41 PM
Becky

Default has anyone added a machine to thier hand quilting frame?

Okay, up front, no, I haven't done this. But since you've had no replies so
far, I decided to throw in my two cents.

I rather suspect that this is not a feasible thing to accomlish. The large
hand quilting frames such as the "easy build", are specifically engineered
to do hand quilting. Their only "mission" so to speak, is to hold the three
layers of the quilt in place while you quilt them. If you compare one to a
picture of any of the machine quilting frames, you'll see right off that
there is a lot more basic framing involved, because now you not only need to
support the quilt, you also have to provide a mechanism which will not only
support, but also allow a pretty much unlimited range of motion, for your
machine. Quite an engineering feat.

Becky

"Jan" wrote in message
k.net...
Inquiring minds (ok.. mind) wants to know... has anyone adapted thier
current hand quilting frame to occasionally machine quilt on it when
finished counts over enjoying the journey? Already have the hinterberg
easy build, just keep thinking you should be able to adapt it to a machine
occassionally when the need arises......

Jan

Old July 22nd 05, 05:19 PM
Debra

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 20:07:57 GMT, Jan
wrote:

"Becky" bbkelher@remove spamaculink.net wrote in
Actually, there are several that look identical to what I have and
simply have a table that supports a rolling platform and a normal
household machine, so put a banquet table there and a rolling platform
and you have some tweaking..... not that much of an engineering feat..

Jan

I haven't done it yet but I can't help thinking about it. I'm
thinking the same PVC tube set up that I saw used with the Flynn frame
would also work with an old fashioned four board hanging hand quilting
frame. It seems like you would just have to sandwich it on the
regular frame, roll it up, remove the end boards, slide single layer
of quilt sandwich under needle, replace the end boards with shorter
end boards to keep the span of quilt taut, and support the roll of
quilt beside the machine with a few lengths of PVC pipe rolling on a
table top. I'm not sure how much tweaking it would need for free
motion, but it should work for gridding. Of course there would still
be the problem of having a room long enough for the length of the
frame to move both in front of and behind the sewing machine, but I
have a long hallway I could use. I can see how it would work in my
mind, but sometimes real life refuses to work the same way so I have a
sneaking suspicion that it's just not that simple.
Debra in VA
Old July 22nd 05, 06:40 PM
Becky

Out of curiosity, I went to the Hinterburg site, and had a look at their
machine quilting system. The machine part of the set up is an integral part
of the entire unit. Still curious, I emailed them and inquired about the
feasibility of simply adding a banguet table with a rolling platform to
interact with the Easy Build Frame, and their reply was they couldn't
envision how this setup could be made to work, and that any sort of
attempted alteration along these lines would void the warrenty on the
Easy Build.

An easier solution to the occasional quilt you need to get done in a hurry
is to use one of the many "machne quilt as you go" methods. My favorite is
in Sharon Pederson's book, Reversible Quilts. Makes quilts of virtualy any
size a snap.

Becky

nk.net...

:

Old July 23rd 05, 04:58 AM
SNIGDIBBLY

you got that right!!

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Jan" wrote in message
nk.net...
Did you really expect them to say yeah!! Don't buy another frame from
us.... lol

Jan

[...]

nk.net...

Old July 23rd 05, 06:42 PM
Becky

Actually, since this is Hinterburg we are talking about, I would guess that
if it were an easy conversion from the Easy Build to a machine setup, they
would be selling the kit to do the conversion. Remember, they have already
provided an extremely (in my opinion) cost effective option to their
ready-built frames in the Easy Build. No reason to think they wouldn't take
that one step farther. This is, afterall, not a giant, mega coorporation,
but a family owned and operated company, whose customer service record, at
least in my experience, and that of others I have spoken with, is absolutely
impeccable.

Becky

"Jan" wrote in message
[...]

nk.net...

Old July 23rd 05, 10:15 PM
Becky

Well, actually , I did try to offer something constructive, for peole who
want occassionally want to try machine quilting, quilt as you go in an easy,
doable technique. And sorry, but you seem to me to be the who is
threatened in some manner.

Besides being a quilter, I have been a wood worker for a number of years.
That's the main reason I felt qualified to offer an opinion in the first
place. You were the who who decided to take it to a level of meanness with
your reply above that you ended "lol".

And yes, I most certainly did contact Hintenburg, why on earth would I did I
did if I hadn't.

You do have rather a strang attitude, it seems to me. "Either help or get
out of my way" ???? Seems to me that offering the opinion that what you
want to accomplish is very probably not feasible is a legitimate responce to
your inquiry.

Sounds to me like you have a real bad case of "If you don't like the answer
to your question, shoot the messenger".

You asked for opinions, I offered one when it appeared that no one else was
going to. Sorry I tried to help.

Becky

wrote in message
ink.net...
Nobody is debating the quality of Hinterberg in any way... they make
wonderful products.... can't say the same of your attitude... if you
don't want to do it... don't.... but have you ever heard help or get out
of my way? Offer up something constructive.... or just ignore the
thread..... but ask yourself why you feel so threatened by my wanting to
do this for myself with my own materials and why you are so opposed to
it? It hurts you in no way for me to do this.. and void a warranty??
lol.. what warranty?? They offer blue prints... you supply
everything.... you really think I believe you contacted them?? And that
was their response????? Either ignore, or offer up something
contstructive...... thanks... and yup... you are going in my kill
file...

Jan

"Jan" wrote in message
[...]

nk.net...

Old July 24th 05, 02:20 AM
Diana Curtis

I appreciated your answer and am glad you contacted the Hinterberg
people to get their response. Ive often wondered if a do it yourself
approach to making my own system made sense. Thanks to your research I
now believe that making a machine quilting frame from a hand quilting
one of that type wouldnt work well. Well, unless one had a lot more
construction ability than I have.
Thank you.
Diana

wrote in message
[...]

"Jan" wrote in message
hlink.net...

[...]

"Jan" wrote in message
rthlink.net...

[...]

arthlink.net...

Old July 24th 05, 11:23 AM
Sally Swindells

My thoughts, exactly, Diana. Thank you Becky for your research and
thoughts which I am sure we have all found useful.

I find machine quilting daunting, even with a machine with an extra
wide harp, and usually chicken out of doing the whole thing at once
and do quilt-as-you-go. I am just in the process of frog-stitching
part of my Trial-Garden quilt which is going to be machine quilted as
a whole (its only lap size) if it kills me. (that is why its called
trial - the real garden quilt has yet to appear!).

FMQ is another story all together - and long-arms quilting I am saving
for another life! (the s was an error, but I rather like it!) How are
you getting on with your new baby Mrs. Snigdibbley?

Hugs all round

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

wrote in message
[...]

"Jan" wrote in message
thlink.net...

[...]

"Jan" wrote in message
arthlink.net...

[...]

. earthlink.net...

Old July 24th 05, 05:53 PM
Lisa Caryl

You did offer constructive help Becky, and you went out of your way to do
so. I can't fathom why you got such a response. I hope that you'll stick
around as most people here are quite nice and appreciate it when someone
offers their help and opinions.

--
Lisa Caryl
http://www.picturetrails.com/quiltygurl

remove the obvious to reply

"Jan" wrote in message
[...]

nk.net...

Old July 24th 05, 10:44 PM
Pat in Virginia

Becky, Your information was useful to me, and I appreciate your
report on the Hintenburg products. Hope to hear from you again soon.
PAT in VA/USA

Becky wrote: (CUT for Space)