how do I keep old posts from disappearing

Old February 2nd 05, 10:00 PM
Liam

Default how do I keep old posts from disappearing

how do I keep old posts from disappearing on outlook express

Liam

Old February 2nd 05, 10:44 PM
Moonraker

"Liam" wrote in message
. com...
how do I keep old posts from disappearing on outlook express

Liam

You can't. Most usenet servers only have 10-20 days of posts on the
moderately active forums. Some forums will be lucky to have 48 hours
retention. It's not Outlook Express's fault. Buuuuuuut......

If your very recent posts aren't visible, click View in your toolbar and
then "current view" and select show all messages. That will show you what
you have cached in your local machine, and also check in the toolbar,
"options", "maintenance", and check if you want OE to delete old messages
after "x" days. I have mine set to delete after 5 days.

Also, did you know that OE has "hidden" files that you can access? they
are located at: C:\Documents and Settings\XXXXXX\Local Settings\Application
Data\Identities\{XXXXXXXXXXX}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\XXXXXXX.dbx, where
the X's are unique to your machine and/or usenet groups. I use W 2000 Pro,
but the other MS systems are similar.

Merely right click on any newsgroup you are subscribed to, and then click on
properties. If you want to clean up all your usenet surfing and free up
huge amounts of drive space, copy that string (similar to above) and paste
it into"Search", "files". Then go back and remove the name of that
newsgroup, and replace it with a "*", similar to "......microsoft\outlook
express\*.dbx" without the quotes. The search will show you every
newsgroup you visit and it will have cached all the items you have viewed,
including those you don't want your mama to know about. ;). Highlight
those you don't need or want and click on the big red "X" on your tool bar,
and then empty your trash barrel. I once cleaned up almost 6 gigs on a
hard drive by using this technique. There may be a faster way to do this,
but this one works for me. YMMV

Old February 3rd 05, 01:20 AM
Rusty Mase

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 22:00:06 GMT, "Liam" wrote:

how do I keep old posts from disappearing on outlook express

An alternative is to just use Google Groups to keep track of these.
http://groups-beta.google.com/advanced_search

You can simply look up all posts under your name for a specific period
of time. This year you have made only two posts, both to this
newsgroup.
http://tinyurl.com/5u873

At least this proves your post showed up the Usenet archives and are
not lost somewhere in your computer files.

Rusty Mase
Old February 3rd 05, 02:29 PM
Bart V

I've been using the [free] Free Agent newsreader for years - if you
don't want a message to disappear you simply press K for keep and
it'll stay until you intentionally delete it.
http://forteinc.com/agent/download.php
It's a lot more user friendly to use than Outlook...
Bart.
-
Check my most up to date email address at:
www.haruteq.com/contact.htm
banjo bridges, tabs, stained glass:
www.haruteq.com

**may your moments of need be met by moments of compassion**

Old February 3rd 05, 04:29 PM
William_of_Clairmont

This may keep the HEADER in your list locally, but if you try to access
an old post from that header, you will probably find a "message has
expired" response from your news server. Unless you have previously
downloaded that message to your local drive.

The way news servers work, they cannot hold more than a week's (or two
at the most) worth of messages -- there are tens of thousands of
newsgroups, many with hundreds or thousands of posts a day -- and in the
case of binary groups, very large posts each. There is only so much
disk space on the average news server, so most ISP's have them set to
dump anything more than a given age, usually no more than a few days.

So, you can certainly keep the headers locally, but the best way to find
old posts (at least, non-binary) is with Google as has been mentioned
before.

Old February 3rd 05, 09:44 PM

I book marked the group:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...n&lr=&ie=UTF-8

Seems to work fine that way.

Andy

Old February 4th 05, 12:02 AM
Liam

The view/current view was exactly what I was looking for. But the google
thing is great too.

Thanks

Liam #1

Old February 4th 05, 07:01 AM
Bryan

actually, if you're using a decent news reader (Free Agent is one), it'll
store the message locally, not just the header. Alternatively, if you're
using a GUI interface(Mac, windows), just cut and paste the offending
article into a nice searchable document....I have many references I've made
this way....I try to keep the headers intact so that I can give proper
attribution if I'm quoting.

Bryan "where there's a will there's a won't" P
Old February 5th 05, 01:41 AM
Mike Firth

When using OE, if you highlight the header information in the main window
and use Ctrl-C for copy, you will capture the message and the header info.
If you are inside the message and use select and copy, you only get the body
of the message. I keep a file (document) with an icon on the desktop, I
call mine FAQ2005, into which I can paste the clipboard stuff. OE does
allow for download of all messages also, but it is an obscure option labeled
"Work Offline" as I recall.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website

Real time posts? David W Glass 12 December 6th 04 07:18 PM
OT - Posts not showing up Jalynne Beads 5 July 15th 04 03:44 AM
*Whine* Missing Posts and Paua Rachel T. Beads 4 February 11th 04 04:23 PM