Blind stitch for binding

Old September 1st 07, 02:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AliceW

Default Blind stitch for binding

I like the idea of the WonderTape, hmmm..........

So many good ideas! I may try one of them yet!

--
AliceW
"Pati C." wrote in message
I'll add another. G If you are going to stitch from the front side to
catch the back side of the binding down:
glue or tape the binding in place. Use glue stick, which will wash out,
to make sure the binding stays in place and you catch it all. Or use
WonderTape which is a double sided tape that is also water soluble, washes
out with the first wash. G
Either of these work very well.

Pati, in Phx
http://community.webshots.com/user/PatiCooks

Polly Esther wrote:
Just one more. You will not die if you have to baste the corners. It
will still be a heap faster than handstitching the whole quilt. Polly

"AliceW" wrote in message
Thanks Polly. I have a Pfaff that has a gazillion built in stitches so
I think I have the ones you mentioned. I think any machine method is
going to be less tedious than the hand sewing. I will have to make
some practice blocks to get the hang of it first though. Thanks for the
tips!

Alice in NJ

--
AliceW
"Polly Esther" wrote in message
Alice, try the one that looks like chicken tracks. (maybe 'feather'
stitch?) . . . or the one that looks like little hills drawn with a
single row of stitches (sort of a scallop). Any oops that you have
with the blind stitch is going to be visible 15 feet away on a
galloping horse. If you can, do your stitching from the top side of the
quilt so you can control the appearance. The SM will try to bog down
at the corners so you'll want to release the pressure of the presser
foot some. Tell your SM that You are in control and use the hand wheel
at the corners if you have to in order to have a uniform stitch. I
didn't mean to make this sound so tedious; just thought I'd arm you
with all the tricks. Polly

"KJ" wrote in message
I think she meant she didn't want to do it by hand.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
I'm not sure exactly what you mean, the stitch I use to sew bindings
down by hand doesn't show, I just assumed everyone did it like this -
though I realised recently this is not the case. I don't think it
takes me any more time to do it this way.

Cheers
Anne

Old September 1st 07, 03:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Idahoqltr[_2_]

Default Mitered Binding Corners was Blind stitch for binding

On Aug 31, 9:55?am, Elly wrote:
On Aug 31, 4:35 pm, Pat in Virginia wrote:

Talking to myself ... bad form! LOL To clarify: you
want the tucks turned in opposite directions on the
opposing sides of the binding. You do not want to flip
the existing tuck. I hope this is more clear.
PAT

Pat in Virginia wrote:
To get pretty mitered corners, be aware of how the tucks turn. Check it
out on the sewn side, then make sure the tuck is in the OPPOSITE
direction when you turn the binding. This makes for a neater and more
precise miter. HTH.
PAT in VA/USA

.

As Mud Pat! lol, no just kidding... I think I know what you mean and
think I do it like that already. But I'll pay closer attention to the
next one I do. Elly

On my last two quilts I sewed my regular binding on the front as
usual. Then I used a blanket stitch from the front and used the hair
clips ahead of my stitching to make sure the back was turned under
good. They turned out amazingly well. I did go back and hand tack a
few places that didn't catch well enough. These were sort-of-heirloom
quilts. They were for my niece's and nephew's graduations. I have
tried the fusible thread and not had any luck, but I was using flannel
backings so I thought that might be the problem.

Old September 2nd 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

For all but the really special quilts I force myself to stitch the
binding on by machine. What I have found to be the least frustrating
and gives good results is as follows:

1. Cut binding 2 1/2", press wrong sides together.
2. Sew binding to the back of the quilt using my walking foot.
3. Stitch each corner and about two inches on either side of the
corners by hand just the way I would if I were doing the entire
binding by hand. Forming the corners by hand makes it much less
frustrating when machine stitching around the quilt. By using the
regular blind hand stitch rather than basting I don't have to remove
any hand stitching when machine stitching is finished.
4. Machine stitch around entire quilt, including stitching over the
hand stitched areas. Why stop and start? Machine stitching is either a
tiny zigzag or the hem stitch. The thread depends on the quilt. I
prefer to use a cotton thread if I can find one that doesn't call
attention to itself. Occasionally polyester invisible is the only way
to go.

Susan

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 19:14:52 -0400, "AliceW"
wrote:

Has anyone tried this method of sewing the binding to the back of a quilt?
I know it's not supposed to be used for heirloom quilts or show quilts, but
I have some quilts that are scrap quilts and basic utility quilts that I
would love to find an easier way to sew the back binding down. Don't want
it to look schlocky but don't want to put the long hours of hand sewing into
it if I can avoid it.

Thanks! I hope this hasn't been a recent topic that I missed.

Old September 3rd 07, 04:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 11:21:12 -0400, Pat in Virginia
wrote:

To get pretty mitered corners, be aware of how the
tucks turn. Check it out on the sewn side, then make
sure the tuck is in the OPPOSITE direction when you
turn the binding. This makes for a neater and more
precise miter. HTH.
PAT in VA/USA

I don't even know what I did last time, but Mom said she wished she
could do as good a job. Straight as an arrow on the sides, flat at
the corners, and nearly invisible hand stitching on the front. I was
just doing a wrapped binding though. I have better success with
wrapping than with a separate binding.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

Knitting with the blind Arlene Yarn 1 May 16th 06 03:04 PM
Blind knots Tricia Knots 1 November 6th 05 12:27 PM
Not a mitered corner binding, but the other binding Quiltshophopper Quilting 5 September 8th 05 03:18 PM
OT - I will be blind Pirjo Ilvesvuori Yarn 14 August 23rd 03 09:08 AM
OT - The light was green and I am "blind" Pirjo Ilvesvuori Yarn 0 August 19th 03 03:50 PM