suggestions / recommendations needed...

Old July 4th 06, 05:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.

Default suggestions / recommendations needed...

It's that time of year again -- planning for next years monthly guild meetings. This past year we
did some fun things... and we need to be creative for next year as well. We did several demo
nights, a program on computers in quilt design, a slide show of sewing spaces and more.

So tell me about some of the activities / guests your guilds have featured in the past several years
that you truly enjoyed. It is always fun to hear what others are doing.

As for guest speakers... how do you locate designers / speakers that are within a reasonable
distance. Me -- I'm not too far from Detroit so if you know anyone not too far from here that would
be a great guest ... I'd welcome the recommendation!

Thanks...

Kate in MI

Old July 4th 06, 12:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

Beth Ferrier is up in Sagninaw area.
find her at www.applewd.com
she wrote 'hand applique by machine' et al.
lots of pix of her stuff on her website and probly has her schedule too.
being close enough should mean shes not gonna cost ya an arm and a leg for
her travel expenses anyhow.
i'm sure shes got a great trunk show to go with any talk she does as well.
she might even have a day free in her schedule for a half or full day class
for your guild.
NAYY,
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"Kate G." wrote...

Old July 4th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

Here in CA we are fortunate to have two groups that work with guilds and
teachers and such. Our guild belongs to NCQC (Northern California Quilt
Council), there's a Southern California group too. Guilds join,
teachers join, affiliates etc. They meet quarterly. Two meetings are
topics that would interest guilds and two are "meet the teachers".
That's when potential speakers line up and take 2 minutes each to tell
what they speak on, show class samples and later you can walk around
where they have tables set up for each teacher to display his/her things
and you can book them. Wonderful. I know other states have similar
things, you might check to see if Michigan does.

Another option is to contact other guilds, get on their newsletter list
and keep notes of who they invite to speak as well as notes about
articles that say things like "Susie taught the guild a wonderful class
on x" because you never know, Susie might want to spread her wings.

Quilt shops not only have teacher who might be interested, but sometimes
they will split the cost of travel and housing with us so that person
can teach for them.

A fun activity we had last year was first quilts, last quilts. People
signed up in advance to participate. They brought those two quilts with
them. The first quilt was hung with a number pinned to it. Then the
ladies lined up and showed their recent quilt and gave one hint about
their first quilt. Audience had sheets with everyones name on it to
take notes. Then there was time for people to wander the room and write
down their guesses about which first quilt went with who. At the end
the makers stood in front of their quilt and you could check to see how
many you had correct. That was very fun.

marcella

Old July 4th 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

The southern group is the SCCQG:
http://www.sccqg.org/index.html

My local guild belongs as do most other guilds here. Insurance is a big
draw with them also. I've never gone but the meet the teacher meetings
is said to be the best attended and we always have a couple of gals go.

A year or two ago the guild did strip poker. I missed the meeting but
it was a big hit. Quilto is one they plan for summer months when
attendance is low because of folks away traveling. UFO auctions are
a fun meeting. Often teachers are already traveling to your area and
might be available. Many teachers post their schedules on their
webpages. Do some googling and see what you can find.
Look up Ann Leatz. She just moved back your way and does beautiful
appliqué. Her classes are good and she does a trunk show too.
SHe started my guild years ago and is a fun gal that is very talented.
HTH, TAria

Old July 4th 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

QGOA: http://qgoa.org/

We have lots of popular big-name quilters come to the guild,
and we pay well for it. However, it's the closer-to-home programs
I often enjoy most, quilters from this area (and Ft.Worth-Dallas is a big
area so we have plenty to choose from), shops that have an interesting
twist, authors, physical therapists. Now that was a good evening, one
of our members who is a p.t. did a program that made us get up and move,
work w/ our neighbors, learn some de-stressing techniques to use during
longer quilting/sewing sessions, best tip she had was to re-train ourselves
to NOT sleep w/ our hands & wrists twisted or curled.
Once a year we have a vendors night when whoever wants to can rent
a table and spread the wares for sale. Some guild members clear out
the sewing room this way. Some of our favorite vendors from our
annual quilt show are specially invited; first come, first rent,
limited space. During this evening the president's challenge
is also shown and voted on; she's given out patterns earlier in the year,
maybe for aprons, maybe it's pillowcases, tote bags, whatever; the
challenge returns are voted on via viewers' choice, winners get a prize;
there are usually more door prizes for this evening. Includes a
potluck dinner, too.
December is another potluck w/ lots of door prizes, drawings,
show & tell, local choir or orchestra entertains us.
This month we're having a mini workshop; don't know what the project is
but I've come home in the past from these w/ fabric pins, chatelaines,
something simple and fun. One time we traded nickel charm packs
(5" squares of fabric, no 2 alike, a set number of squares in each pack)
and had a blast looking at "I've never seen this fabric before!" goodies.
Quilt members have traveled all over, many moved here from elsewhere,
we ask them to share their quilting backgrounds (south America, Hawaii,
Sweden, Germany, France) when their experience is quite different from
mainland USA; different influences, often quite interesting.
My First Quilt or the first one we can find from our collections g
is a fun program; members bring 2 quilts, older and recent, for a huge
show & tell, share a little of what we've learned over the years; this esp.
involves our older members and the middle-aged ones who've been quilting
a long time. Surprising to see the newbies' progress, too.
Every few years we have quilt show judges who tell us "what we look
for in a Winning Quilt"; they help answer the questions we all have when
we wonder, "How'd that win a ribbon? What were the judges thinking?!!" g
Check w/ the LQSes to see what they have to offer in the way of talent;
many get news of trunk shows and new quilting teachers and techniques before
the rest of us.
We seem to get the most "I loved the program!" comments when we keep
it local.

Good luck!

Ragmop/Sandy