What do your qults say?

Old February 10th 04, 02:19 AM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

Get in line, Honey. I have seniority!

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér
all in all --- a very slow quilter.... So send quilts!
http://photos.yahoo.com/lns_obsessed

"Cina" wrote in message
LN wrote:

You learn to ignore it. Specially when they start coming to your

mailbox.

Hm, well... I can see how a person could change her mind on this
subject. I bet it *is* rather nice to receive one. Someone should send
me a quilt so I know how it feels. =)

Cina

---

Old February 10th 04, 02:22 AM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

See, I didn't even have to!

I've got one of Kathy's masterpieces. She knows she has to put me back on
the list for another. Hopefully a larger one next time. One I can really
cuddle up in. Sigh....

--
LN in NH (finished quilts squishies. snail avail upon request)

"Valerie" wrote in message
om...
what is this? LN answering the question and no begging ? lol my
heart is broken . i so was waiting for a good beg so i could see how
the best quilt begger of all time does her work. as a very begining
quilter( just got my first sewing machine)i need all the tips i can
get. i love the stuff i read @ RCTQ.and LN if i ever get a quilt done
i will put you on my list of quilts to do.
Valerie

"LN \(remove NOSPAM\)"
The Free-motion meandering was in the same color as the background

fabric
(white).

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér
all in all --- a very slow quilter.... So send quilts!
http://photos.yahoo.com/lns_obsessed

"Kathy Applebaum"

"Cina" wrote in message
The in-between quilting (is there a "proper" name for it?)... did

you
use white thread for the smaller free-motion designs? I like the
contrast in the photo.

Gosh, you expect me to remember? I'm having trouble with what happened

five
minutes ago! LOL Looking at the picture, it does look like I used a
matching thread for the meandering. LN could probably tell you for

sure.

---

Old February 10th 04, 02:24 AM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

I've always thought the same thing. That's why when I quilt names, I have to
do it from the back cuz it all comes out backwards for me. LOL

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér
all in all --- a very slow quilter.... So send quilts!
http://photos.yahoo.com/lns_obsessed

"frood" wrote in message
m...
I understand this practice method for long-arm quilting, but isn't the
equivilent for regular machines to hold the pencil still and move the

paper?
How can doodling help me figure out how to quilt on my machine?

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply
"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in message
. com...

---

Old February 10th 04, 03:30 AM
Kathy Applebaum

"Marcella Tracy Peek" wrote in message

Bar cookies kinda like a brownie. But not chocolate. Think chocolate
chip cookie dough without the chocolate...kinda a brown sugar, buttery,
chewy, bliss, drool, drool, drool.

What's the point? The only reason to eat a brownie is the chocolate. *grin*

marcella
tried the new scharffen-berger extra dark or milk chocolate yet?

Can't do milk chocolate, and I haven't seen the extra dark at Nugget yet.
But I'll sure look on Thursday when I go to Whole Foods!!! (great, now I'm
drooling on the keyboard.)

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old February 10th 04, 03:30 AM
Kathy Applebaum

"frood" wrote in message
m...
I understand this practice method for long-arm quilting, but isn't the
equivilent for regular machines to hold the pencil still and move the

paper?
How can doodling help me figure out how to quilt on my machine?

You aren't training muscle movements, but rather training your brain. After
all, the muscles I use for holding a pencil to paper really aren't the same
ones I use to move a 100 lb. longarm. And I use this same technique for
designing thread embellishments, which I do in a hoop on my home sewing
machine, using the same motions as for free motion quilting.

It's hard to explain in words, so bear with me and I'll do the best I can.
Let me use as an example a pattern I'm doing on the sashing of a quilt right
now. It's interlocking hearts -- along the row, a rightside up heart morphs
into an upside down heart, which changes back into a rightside up heart.
What doodling taught my brain was what curves in, what curves out, where the
points are, and where the "trouble spots" are. (Like how was I going to
start and end the row? What about the cornerstones where the sashing
intersects? What do I do when I'm running out of row?)

There's no substitute for knowing how to control your machine. Before
doodling can do you much good (IMHO), you need to be able to get from one
point to another with your machine, do basic curved shapes, and have some
kind of reasonable accuracy. Not perfect, but reasonable, whatever your
definition of that is. *grin* (There's lots of practice sets for this which
I've recommended here before and will be glad to do again if anyone wants
them.) Once you get to that point, doodling is a fast, easy way to work out
the "kinks" in designs and to try new things. It's very easy to do "what
ifs" with a pencil... what if I make the end of this leaf square? What if I
do a double line here? What if I make this figure 8 into a bee?

Perhaps it would make more sense if I said doodling helps with the creative
/ design aspects of quilting, rather than the mechanics of it? Or would that
just confuse the issue???

Old February 10th 04, 03:30 AM
Kathy Applebaum

"LN (remove NOSPAM)" wrote in message
See, I didn't even have to!

I've got one of Kathy's masterpieces. She knows she has to put me back on
the list for another. Hopefully a larger one next time. One I can really
cuddle up in. Sigh....

Oh, you're on my list. ;-)

BTW, it would really help if you bought me a lottery ticket that wins, say,
$10 million or so. Then I'd have plenty of time to work on that quilt for
you. Heck, I'd even move you up to the head of the list!

Old February 10th 04, 09:02 AM
Patti

Hullo Wendy
That is a good point. However, the doodling - even preparing for a
domestic machine - can get your hand/eye/brain co-ordinated into making
continuous-line designs. For many of us that is just as much of an
early problem as the 'moving under the needle problem'. But, now you've
got me thinking!! and I shall try to invent a method of holding a pencil
fixed above the desk!
..
In article , frood
writes
I understand this practice method for long-arm quilting, but isn't the
equivilent for regular machines to hold the pencil still and move the paper?
How can doodling help me figure out how to quilt on my machine?

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old February 10th 04, 03:04 PM
frood

Reasonable accuracy. I think I'm there! My shapes come out close to what I
intended, and mostly recognizable. OK, the doodling as design practice makes
sense. I'll give it a try. But anytime you want to come over, and doodle
with me so I can see what you mean, come on over!

Old February 10th 04, 03:14 PM
Cina

Pat in VA wrote:

Cina:
First, what is this with 'ultrayummy blondies?'

A couple years ago, I baked for holiday gifts. Banana bread, poppy seed
rolls, nut rolls, several kinds of cookies, chocolate covered pretzels
(dark, milk, and white), and seasoned pretzels. I even made peanut
butter & honey dog biscuits. But the biggest hit was my blondies, which
were dubbed by friends as "Cina's ultrayummy blondies."

You shoulda heard the whining when it was discovered that I wasn't
baking gifts this year.

Next, to the best
of my knowledge, there is no 'list for possible squishy
recipient.'

Hm. I was under the impression that someone maintained a current
mailing list. Is that mistaken?

Cina