Photographing your beads

Old July 4th 04, 06:38 AM
bluemaxx

"Craftology" wrote in message
: SO let me get this straight. You would have preferred that I
responded to
: Sooz's "kiss my ass" post by saying "lick my hole"? Or maybe "that's
a bunch
: of horse ****?" Or "screw you Sooz" THAT is better to you?
: I'm ROFL here.

If you can't understand the concept of indignant anger vs. the
infliction of deliberate cruelty, I'm not going to explain it to you at
this late date.
Linda

---

Old July 4th 04, 09:40 AM
Christina Peterson

I didn't assume you were malicious. I don't know your story because I
haven't heard you share it. I half expect that you have health issues,
because so many of us here do. I don't automatically excuse Sooz, I
understand where she's coming from, and she generally does apologize if
people don't keep beating on her.

Mellow out, and don't attack me. Doesn't work.

Tina

"Craftology" wrote in message
1. I have lurked here for a while.
2. Do you know what MY life story is? Do you know if perhaps I might have
health issues?
3. Despite the fact that pain can cause people to behave in an unkind

manner,
if and when that does happen said person should apologize. Bad

health/pain is
not an excuse for treating others badly, especially when it happens often.
4. You automatically excuse certain people but assume others are

malicious?
That doesn't seem very fair.

Subject: Photographing your beads ~LONG~
From: "Christina Peterson"
Date: 7/3/2004 8:23 PM Eastern Standard Time
Hi Lisa,

You're right, there is an element of double standard going on here.

Actually, that's one reason people are always advised to lurk awhile.

The
people here know Sooz has an acerbic style, and also know Sooz has major
difficulty with pain that sometimes makes her irritable. Same way we

know
Kathy NV has extreme pain and tells lots of OT stories, which we wouldn't
necessarily accept from others. People know I live in Alaska and eat

wild
meat - I want Rudolph for Christmas dinner. They know I have

Depression,
and get flaky when I'm overwhelmed. In a normal society we know each

other.
In the newsgroup we know each other too.

So, yes, there are "double standards". But, as in the real world, it's

more
a matter of accommodating individuals, and acknowledging humanity.

Tina

But Sooz telling craftology to kiss her ass was
perfectly okay? And for the record, I didn't say
anything about Sooz's post because it didn't offend me.
Believe me, in the forums I'm used to "kiss my ass" is
pretty mild. What offends me is the apparent double
standard I see going on here.

Lisa

Old July 4th 04, 09:51 AM
Christina Peterson

Oh, I'm not saying my point of view is right, only that it's different.

Tina

"Craftology" wrote in message
Here is why I don't see lampwork artists as competitors the same way I see

2
people selling Swarovski crystal bicones as competitors.

These two people are obviously competing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...em=49089056 1
6&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...em=49094051 3
9&rd=1

In my opinion the next two are not competing because they have very

different
styles. One I like, one I don't. So I don't see them as selling the same
thing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=4908961 4
16&rd=1

Old July 4th 04, 09:57 AM
Su/Cutworks

Kalera wrote:

How about Cheetos? I am having a major Cheeto craving right now for some
reason.

Shove over, we can have a craving together. I'm counting the days till I
see Cheetos again! Only 25 to go.

-Su

Old July 4th 04, 04:11 PM
Lori Greenberg

Craftology" wrote in message

3. Despite the fact that pain can cause people to behave in an unkind

manner,
if and when that does happen said person should apologize. Bad

health/pain is
not an excuse for treating others badly, especially when it happens often.

I have to agree with the no excuse part here.

My husband is under a lot of stress right now with family illnesses and he
gets pretty cranky and can tend to take it out on me (not physically). His
mother is in a nursing home and is demanding, and his father has had part of
his colon removed, is recovering from terrible side effects of radiation
therapy, and gearing up for chemo. He also gets cranky and takes it out on
us and can be very demanding. I feel bad for all of them, and can't
possibly understand what they're all going through, but they have no right
to take it out on me or my children, no matter how bad it gets.

If in fact that is what has been going on here, then say you feel bad, talk
about it, but don't think it's ok to take it out on others sideways. I am
not assuming that is what went on, as someone else was speaking for any
posters in question.

This group is not just for those that have been around and know the lives of
others. There are others that might not post that often but do read along.
I would guess that my name is known, and I lurk a lot more than I post, but
I didn't know the personal things that were posted about Sooz and Christina.
If I did, I still don't think it's ok to be mean. I'm not condoning anyones
return snide comments either, but I can see wanting to respond in a
not-so-nice way too. Neither one was right or nice.

While it is nice to have a sense of community and to be understood, I think
we should also be respectful to those that aren't 'in' with the regular
posters and allow them their opinions, just as well as calling them on rude
behavior. Regulars should be held to the same standard.

--
--------------------------------------
Lori Greenberg

"

Old July 4th 04, 06:54 PM
Craftology

we should also be respectful to those that aren't 'in' with the regular
posters and allow them their opinions, just as well as calling them on rude
behavior. Regulars should be held to the same standard.

Great post Lori.
Old July 5th 04, 12:32 AM
Christina Peterson

I guess you don't read much of the (overwhelming number of) OT posts. After
all you come here about beads. Though, if I remember correctly, this thread
also had originally been marked as OT, too.

Unfortunately it doesn't work to just say to if you feel bad. I know that
Sooz and a few others have a degree of pain that the doctors would prescribe
morphine for every single day. With that comes Depression, mental, physical
and emotional exhaustion. And I know that no one wants to hear that every
day. My husband is disabled by pain from work related injuries. Everyday
he takes prescription pain pills, does therapy, needs at least one nap of 1
or 2 hours, and gets massage every week. And his pain doesn't even compare
to Sooz's or Kathy NV's.

I'm pleased that I don't whine enough for you to know I have disabling
Depression and can only get about 6 hours of good function in a day. But
talking about it doesn't work, and only causes you to be defined as a
pathetic soul, all bound up in pain (physical or mental or both). I do
sincerely thank you for offering to let me or others whine about that stuff.

(No sarcasm here anywhere.)

I do agree that everyone should be held to the same standards of courtesy.

Part of what I don't understand with this thread is how things got so mean.
And especially why there is so much vitriol against Sooz, who has not said
anything for quite a while.

It's a funny thing about an "in" group. I really think the "in" is more a
definition of how often someone posts rather than any people being "better"
than anyone else. There are exception in that a few of us have met or
emailed others in the group.

In school I always considered myself one of the definitely "not in" people,
and not even part of it enough to be one of the "out" people. I never think
in those terms anymore. A lot of it has to do with age, I think, and
learning not to care about those considerations.

I do now feel part of a disenfranchised group, but I certainly don't feel
banned from any in group, or any less than my rich sister, or my skinny
sister, or my very mentally energetic friends.

Life is good.

Tina

"Lori Greenberg" wrote...

Old July 5th 04, 03:52 AM
Kaytee

In article , vj
writes:

combo gift and bead shop

does that work well?
because the ONLY store here is that way, and the beading supplies are
abysmal.

It seems to. Some weeks the "gift" side does great, and the beads poorly,
sometimes the opposite. Some days nobody except the mailman comes in, other
days the place is packed.

There are over 35 bead stores in San Diego now... most specialize, rather than
trying to do it all. Our store's bead room has mainly vintage glass & crystal,
"non-round" stone, and "ethnic" beads. Also some of Mingo's and Asho's furnace
glass and some locally made enamel beads. Most of these are available
individually or on a string-- the non-loose vintage glass, bone and metal beads
are on "short strings" (7-8"), stone and pearls on regular sized strings, but
we will sell a "half string". If somebody wants modern Czech glass or findings
or whatever it is that we don't have, we generally suggest a couple of places
that specialize in those items... however, the most common "where do you
find...?" question is about food... specifically, "where do you get Mexican
food?". It's hard not to choke; not only is this S. Calif, but this is Old Town
San Diego... originally a Mexican town... 20 miles from TJ.... Can't go a block
in Old Town without passing at least one Mexican restaurant, and with the rents
here, you know they have to be good to stay in business.
Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com

Old July 5th 04, 06:20 AM
Dr. Sooz

Actually, the issue is more about people with expectations and a sense of
entitlement. People who get ticked off because they can't get personalized
private instructions whenever they want them.

YES. EXACTLY.
~~
Sooz
Old July 5th 04, 06:23 AM
Dr. Sooz

What would be considered tactless would be if you were, say, a jewelry
designer, and you emailed another, more successful jewelry designer who
didn't know you at all, not even online, and asked them the name of
their wholesaler and step-by-step directions for their really cool
signature clasps.

As I understand it, that's the sort of breach of manners that's being
discussed here.

Yes, that's absolutely correct. I find it interesting that some people got
that right away -- and some others totally misinterpreted the message. Makes
you wonder.
~~
Sooz