Buying Fabric Online

Old February 3rd 05, 10:50 PM
Tina

Default Buying Fabric Online

Ok, JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby didn't have the quilter's flannel I wanted
in solid black and/or tan.
So I came home and looked online and JoAnn's website doesn't even show
solid black, Hancock's website shows solid black as "Discontinued"
but............. Fabric.com has it in solid black and tan and it is
only $ 4.49/yd.

Has anyone here ever ordered from Fabric.com before?
Is it a good idea? Especially when you can't touch/see what you are
buying?

And a question for Louise, and anyone else who is willing to coach a
newbie:

Since I want to use Louise's "Grandma and Grandpa's Quilt" layout of
Nine patches - how do I know how much fabric to buy? I know I saw this
somewhere in one of the quilting books I looked through at the library,
but I don't remember which one and now I would have to go back through
all those books.

Isn't there a formula for figuring out how much fabric I will need?

So far, like with mom's quilt, it was just scraps I already had that
made the top and then when I was finished I just bought enough backing
fabric to fit the top.

So here I am, planning a whole quilt and wanting to do it right with
layout and planning, but I don't know how to figure out how much
material all those nine patches will require.

Thanks in advance for help and advice,
Tina

Old February 3rd 05, 10:56 PM
maryd

Here's an online fabric calculator. I can't vouch for the accuracy tho.
http://search.quiltshops.com/calculator/calculator.htm

--
Mary
oups.com...
:

Old February 3rd 05, 11:59 PM

Tina wrote:

Has anyone here ever ordered from Fabric.com before?
Is it a good idea? Especially when you can't touch/see what you are
buying?

I have heard nothing but good things about fabric.com, and the one or
two things I have ordered from there have been great. Thumbs up
big-time from here!
Old February 4th 05, 12:13 AM
Donna A

Great company to do business with.
--
Donna Aten, Coordinator
Project Linus - Boise/SW Idaho Chapter

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...

Old February 4th 05, 12:21 AM
Marlys in Indiana

Thumbs up here too on Fabric.com. Fast service. Good quality.
I ordered only once, so far, but would order again, if they appeared
to have what I needed. I have no problem with them at all.
Marlys in Indiana

oups.com...

Old February 4th 05, 01:25 AM
Tina

Ok, well now I definitely feel safer ordering the fabric online from
Fabric.com....

but I still haven't figured out how much to buy?

This will be a "couch" quilt for John, I'd like it to be a little
larger than just "lap quilt" size (he's kinda a big guy) and I want him
to be able to "wrap up" in it.

Thank you all for your input!

Tina

Old February 4th 05, 02:00 AM
Sherry Starr

I have ordered from fabric.com several times, and have always been very
pleased. They are usually generous in their cuts.

Sherry Starr

oups.com...

Old February 4th 05, 02:20 AM
Tina

I figured it out! I went back to Louise's picture, counted the blocks,
she said they were 6" finished and then I used Mary's calculator!
Now I'm off to order the fabric.
Thanks again all!

Tina

Old February 4th 05, 03:11 PM
ALZ

I LOVE Fabric.com -- home of the 39" yard! I have ordered from them
zillions of times and have never been disappointed. They would be my
FIRST choice for any fabric. I check their website several times a
week, but so far I am sticking to my fabric diet - they make it
difficult though.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

Old February 5th 05, 03:31 AM
nana2b

Hi Tina, I have ordered from Fabric.com and I am a very happy customer.
Fast delivery, decent prices and great quality.

NAYY, Linda in Tx