Applique Shaddows?

Old April 19th 06, 03:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Applique Shaddows?

frood wrote:
A lady at my guild told me she sews her applique piece to the fusible
webbing (right sides together) turns, then fuses it to the base. I haven't
tried this yet, but it sounds good!

Do you mean fusible interfacing instead of fusible webbing? Fusible
webbing doesn't have a right or wrong side, and it seems to me it would
be hard to work with like this.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old April 19th 06, 05:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I made a sunbonnet sue quilt with the satin stitch method with fusible
webbing. It looks just fine. You can check
it out on the quilts section on webshots.
http://community.webshots.com/user/dreamboat116
dreamboat
"Betsy Ross" wrote in message
. com...
I am using the fuse method to prepare my fabric for hand appliqué
stitching. There are many places where appliquéd pieces would overlap
resulting in a shadow. Given that the quilt will be a piece of "folk art,"
should I not worry and just try to minimize? Should I cut away all pieces
to function like a jigsaw puzzle to remove all shadows? The quilt is not
headed for any juried events.

FYI: This is a Sunbonnet Sue quilt similar to "Sunbonnet Sue Sees San
Francisco" http://community.webshots.com/user/betsyross2004.

Any opinions? Are shadows a felony or just a misdemeanor?

--
Susan
aka Betsy Ross

Old April 19th 06, 06:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

from all you've said and the other replys, i dont think i fully understand
what method you first planned on using.
what i first understood you to mean was fusible 'whateveryoucallit' to stick
the applique pieces to the background block, then blanketstitch round the
edges by hand.

(commenting on your original post again)
the only edges that would show are those where light applique pieces overlap
dark ones, depending on the density of the fusible of course. i dont see why
you cant switch the pieces so the dark overlaps the light one...problem
solved, i think.
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"Betsy Ross" wrote...
I will check out the light-weight fusible interfacing to see if that
provides enough opacity. I can then cut my shapes and fuse between the
interfacing and the quilt top. It may be a little stiff, but this is will
be a WH.
--
Susan
aka Betsy Ross

"nzlstar*" wrote...
can you not have the darker overlap the lighter in any design?
just reverse the ones so dark is always on top covering the seam
allowances.
unless i'm missing something...

"Betsy Ross" wrote...

Old April 19th 06, 11:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I suppose that's probably what she did mean. Not the paper-backed stuff,
more like what you would use for garment making.

--
Wendy
un-STUFF email address to reply

Old April 19th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Jeanne:
On some designs this would not work. Example:
if a green leaf is peeking out from behind
the white flower.
What I would do in that case: have a VERY
SCANT overlap, so the stitching covers it. I
use machine appliqué, so the stitches are
important design element.
PAT in VA/USA

nzlstar* wrote:
can you not have the darker overlap the lighter in any design?
just reverse the ones so dark is always on top covering the seam allowances.
unless i'm missing something...
jeanne
wouldnt be the first time i missed something, seems to be my usual state of
consciousness or should that read unconsciousness

Old April 19th 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

ah ok, i see what you mean. your green leaf underedge would make a shadow
under the white flower. doh!!
ok, so how about if you line the flower with interfacing...stitch
interfacing to the front of the flower, slit the interfacing, turn to the
back, then place it on the green. the interfacing should give enough extra
to hide the edge of the green.
i use interfacing on all pieces that are big enough to turn out. so far i
havent done anything tiny enough (that i dont interface) with the overlap
shadow problem.

thanks for the explanation, Pat. i knew i was forgetting something.
brain is foggy like our weather round here lately....autumn fog in the early
part of the day. i just looked out the window behind me and its finally
cleared up at 10am.
the fog closes airports up and down nz at random this time of year, lol.
ta again,
jeanne
who spends most of her life in a fog
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
http://www.frappr.com/rctq Put yourself on the RCTQ map!!!
http://www.gen.gen.nz/

"Pat in Virginia" wrote...

Old April 20th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Don't you go hoggin all that fog by yourself! I always wondered where it
went after we got rid of it for the season. Now I know--you go grabbing it.
Well, I tell you what YOU CAN KEEP IT! Had enuf of it for this
year.....ready for some uninterrupted sunshine (where they're predicting
MORE RAIN for this weekend..sigh)

Butterfly (and DH just tilled the peas under as they are done for now)

Old April 20th 06, 11:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Butterfly,
Wish we could at least split some of the rain between here & there.
We are soooo dry, having fires all over the place. Reminds me of
1998.
Anna Belle in Palm Bay
Quilt Show at Melbourne Friday & Saturday, leaving to help set up
soon.