Where is everyone?

Old December 5th 09, 03:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

Default Where is everyone?

lucretiaborgia wrote
I have learned something about being disabled these past few weeks.
When you have to walk with a frame, many people give you no quarter at
all, drop the door on you, push past etc. get exasperated because you
are slow moving, almost like being on the road ! I have graduated to
a cane now but much the same still applies, I am cautious so I don't
get shoved over. It's mostly younger people, the Me Generation and I
think they have been brought up to believe they are wonderful and
anyone with a disability is inferior.

Either enjoy the impending (and much justified GOW spell), or look up the Mr
Bean episode where he is on holiday and extremely impatient to get
downstairs for supper before the mostly elderly hotel guests.

Dawne

Old December 5th 09, 02:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 12/4/09 5:03 PM, in article
, "Donna"
wrote:

Definitely not at the mall, only two shops on the island and not one of
them is playing Christmas carols. They will probably put up Christmas
decorations in a couple of weeks time. The island's Christmas Tree
lighting ceremony is on 12 Dec when the Silver Darlings (music group,
average age about 18) will accompany the Stronsay Singers (local evening
class in singing techniques) for some community carol singing.
Up here Christmas is for the children and Hogmany (New Year) is for the
adults.
Maureen is currently knitting me a sweater, her first bit of knitting
for several years hence the occasional outbursts of non-ladylike
language emanating from her pig-pen (workroom).
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney

I may need to move to your neighborhood. I would love to not be
inundated with Christmas - carols, music, cookies, decorations, fill
in the blank - for months before Christmas.

Donna in Virginia

I understand that. At least two radio stations that I listen to for local
news/weather/traffic have gone all Xmas all the time. Gack! I purposely
avoid sitting in the cubicle area where the 'supervisor' plays carols at her
desk - the same three disks over and over and over....

Old December 5th 09, 02:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 12/4/09 6:30 PM, in article ,
" wrote:

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 07:56:50 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Missing you guys!

I'm not a guy but this woman was out at the Ortho Clinic, there is
plenty of parking but it seems/feels like ten million miles away from
the Clinic.

I have learned something about being disabled these past few weeks.
When you have to walk with a frame, many people give you no quarter at
all, drop the door on you, push past etc. get exasperated because you
are slow moving, almost like being on the road ! I have graduated to
a cane now but much the same still applies, I am cautious so I don't
get shoved over. It's mostly younger people, the Me Generation and I
think they have been brought up to believe they are wonderful and
anyone with a disability is inferior. In my day my grandmother would
have clipped me over the ear if I had behaved the way some of them do.
There were many people who were very kindly, I should add that, but a
few too many of the other variety.

I think next week when I am out and about I am going to develop a nice
slash with my cane for those people, I'll practice over the weekend,
it brings out the GOW in me.

Honey dear - I just whacked DS last week for not holding the door for
someone with a cane. DD will stand and hold the door for ever.

Cheryl

Old December 5th 09, 02:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 12/4/09 10:30 PM, in article
tel, "Dawne Peterson"
wrote:

"Bruce Fletcher" wrote
Definitely not at the mall, only two shops on the island and not one of
them is playing Christmas carols. They will probably put up Christmas
decorations in a couple of weeks time. The island's Christmas Tree
lighting ceremony is on 12 Dec when the Silver Darlings (music group,
average age about 18) will accompany the Stronsay Singers (local evening
class in singing techniques) for some community carol singing.
Up here Christmas is for the children and Hogmany (New Year) is for the
adults.
Maureen is currently knitting me a sweater, her first bit of knitting for
several years hence the occasional outbursts of non-ladylike language
emanating from her pig-pen (workroom).
--

Christmas decorations went up in many stores even before Remembrance Day,
which is too bad.

Makes me happy to have the slower rhythm of Advent, with my wreath and
candles, to leave the commercial jollililty behind.

Dawne

I will say that 'spoil everyone" spirit is alive and well at my job too.
Now, through the end of season, people will be bringing snacks, tasty treats
of all sorts, just to keep everyone fueled and cheerful for the odd
grumbling caller. (I'm doing telephone orders at a catalog company through
the 22nd)

Cheryl

Old December 5th 09, 03:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

I was taught to hold the door open for anyone right behind me, disabled or
not. You don't necessarily have to wait for them to walk through, but it's
nice not to have to have it close in your face.

Lucille

Old December 5th 09, 07:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Liz from Humbug

On Dec 4, 9:14*am, "Lucille" wrote:
wrote in message

Missing you guys!

I'm here and wondering the same thing.

Lucille

We finally started getting busy at work so I've been working 4 to
after Midnight. I've been sleeping later & not spending as much time
on the computer. Amazingly enough, I'm actually losing weight this
year instead of gaining it, in spite of the tasty treats in the break
room! :-))) I think it's because I'm eating less at home. :-) If
anyone sends in a MAIL order to Harry & David, Wolferman's or Cushman,
you can add a note saying "Say Hi to Liz/the other" and we can see if
I get it. :-))) When I'm not working, I'm stitching on little felt
Christmas trees for the core group that I work with.
Liz from Humbug
Old December 5th 09, 09:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

wrote:

[...]

At a local Italian place (with sports bar), DD earned herself a dessert for
holding the doors for a pair of couple all on walkers. In some ways it was
kind of comical to watch. She got them all into the little breezeway area,
sprinted around to the far side and the other doors and opened the door into
the restaurant for them. I don't know if management did it or the couples,
but either way it was sweet of them - all puns intended.

Old December 5th 09, 10:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

,

wrote:

[...]

I just put away the last of the dishes and leftovers from my lunch guests
and now, for an extra dessert, I see your story about Ellice.

She's growing up to be a really nice kid. So much fun to hear good
things about kids instead of all the bad stuff the news media thrives on.

Old December 6th 09, 12:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
At a local Italian place (with sports bar), DD earned herself a dessert for
holding the doors for a pair of couple all on walkers. In some ways it was
kind of comical to watch. She got them all into the little breezeway area,
sprinted around to the far side and the other doors and opened the door into
the restaurant for them. I don't know if management did it or the couples,
but either way it was sweet of them - all puns intended.

Like most folk of my generation I was taught to hold doors open for
ladies. A few years ago I held the door open for a shaven-headed young
lady of very masculine appearance only for her to mutter "Fascist pig"
before sweeping past me and stomping into the shop. However, this hasn't
affected my manners and I still hold doors open, raise my hat, walk on
the outside of the pavement etc.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney