A Favor of you Please

Old August 19th 03, 01:41 AM
Johanna Gibson

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 18:00:03 -0700, "Diana Curtis"
wrote:

Im recovering well... certain things coming in the mail keep my spirits up,
thank you muchly! But the days linger long sometimes. I havent energy to do
much yet, but you, yes YOU, have the power to entertain and amuse me if you
feel like it, and I hope you do...
Would you please tell me how you came to post at RCTQ, and why you stay, and
how you came to be a quilter and what you hope to find in your quilting
future. Maybe everyone else will get some pleasure in reading these .. then
I wont feel so selfish! lol
Thanks in advance,
Diana the slightly bored

I read RCTQ for several months before I posted the first time. I
had to learn all the abbreviations - were more used in the past or do
I just imagine it? - and then I had to think of a question that I
thought was worthy enough of everyone's time. I can't remember what
it was now!
I stay because I have read over 100 books on quilting and none of
them match up to the vast experience provided by this group. The
range and diversity of textile interests and experience that are found
at RCTQ among the regulars and lurkers is truly astounding.
What I hope to find in my quilting future is the energy and drive to
do more contemporary pieces, with bold use of colors and shapes! I
have made myself a promise - no more quilts of just squares (2 tatw to
my name now, and a bargello of sorts). From now on I want to learn a
new technique with every project I do, not just repeat past successes.
I hope these answers have entertained you!

-- Jo in Scotland
Old August 19th 03, 04:59 AM
Diana Curtis

Why, thank you Sharon!
:-)
Diana, with hugs and all!

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Sharon Harper" wrote in message
u...
A lovely story Diana (almost as lovely as you!).

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Qof DU)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html
"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Well... I was waiting till everyone else had their say but since you

asked
so nicely Ill dive in now.
I wanted to make quilts because they looked so homey. This was back in

the
hippy days of make it yourself. My mom was a wonderful clothing maker

but
had not tried making quilts. I couldnt learn it from her or any other

family
member so I learned the basics from a woman who was over from South

Africa
on a strange Tom Sawyer type adventure with a young man from California.

made a few blocks and that was about it until a few years later when I

made
my first quilt. That was a laughable yet loveable affair, all cotton

sheets
and bits and bobs from Moms sewing bag. There was a badger of fleece and

muskie *fish* out of uncut cordoroy, and it was machine everything I

think.
It had part of a comforter, nylon covered, as its batt and my ex took it

in
the divorce and later returned it. The batt is making a return

appearence
in
my siggy quilt!
Later I made quilts from cotton and poly cotton cause it was I could

get
for free.or frugally.. and I made quilts.
Or quilt tops anyway.
My son found me RCTQ some years ago. I posted hesitantly at first...

then
somehow I finally figured it out, that I was welcome here, no matter how
wonky my seams... no matter if I ever finished a quilt or not. It seemed
that my brand of playing around was fine, that it was not a quilt police
kind of group. Now, youd have to use dynamite to get rid of me. I cant
picture a time when I wont want to come here to laugh, or mourn, or
celebrate (anything.. heck.. a day of good health seems a good reason to
smile and say whooohoooo!) and maybe even talk quilting a bit!
Oh, thats what held me back at first. I felt I had nothing to offer...

am not a technically good quilter.
As for the mead... cyber mead is my strength.. but its super strong..
believe me! LOL
Hugs,
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Paul & Suzie Beckwith" wrote in

message
Aha - if you like mead, you need to get Anty Krysia to send you a
bottle of honey vodka - Krupnik - from Poland - its like mead, but on
steroids...

And - picture the scene if you will - O'Hare Airport Immigration desk,
"what is the purpose of your visit"
"to visit friends off the internet" and me promptly digging in my
purse for a well-thumbed piece of paper with Sarah's address written
on it.. you should have seen the look on the immigration officers
face...

Suzie B
p.s. - when you gonna tell us why you started and etc?
--
"From the internet connection under the pier"
Southend, UK

Old August 19th 03, 05:02 AM
Diana Curtis

LOL oh I am so glad no one was hurt!
Im guessing your father wasnt online tho, so he was your generic axe
murderer type and not the newly discovered and dreaded internet axe
murderer.
My family runs to cereal killers. Cap'n Crunch being the favorite, peanut
butter. please.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Butterfly" wrote in message
.. .
My Dad did.
Killed an axe that is.
Was out chooping wood for kindling (we had a wood burning furnace) and
the head of the axe flew off. Came in the house and announced he was
done for the day--he had killed the axe. The wood handle had split and
the head of the axe went flying off. Can't remember how he fixed it but
we certainly were NOT allowed to be outside when anyone was chopping wood.
Butterfly (we knew better than to giggle)

Diana Curtis wrote:

Thank you for the wonderful tale of how you came to be here and there.

You
are officially what we call a starter. Nothing wrong with that!
It sounds like your new course of action is just right for you, and I

hope
it turns out to be as relaxing as you hope.
I always wondered how that fambly tree came to be. Its confused me

from
the start even tho now I claim to be one of the dotty Aunties *the one

in
the attic with the cane for stompin' for more mead*.
It never ceases to amaze me, the open hearts of the people in this

group.
Imagine, taking you in, sight unseen like that.. without a second

thought..
people must have thought both you and the offer givers were Nuts! but..

aha!
we disprove the rule that all internet people are axe murdereres...ask

my
DH, he never murdered an axe in his life!
Thank you again for helping me pass a few more minutes distracted from

the
itchy staples and stuff.
Hugs,
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Paul & Suzie Beckwith" wrote in

message

Slightly bored Diana - or mad? Make a fresh pot of tea and gird your
loins for a long-winded episode... "Queen of the Waffle" you will dub
me after this...

I came to this newsgroup prolly around 1998, as I wanted to make a
quilt for my sister who loves narrowboats, and I posted asking if
anyone knew of anywhere I could get canal-related fabric - roses &
castles, narrowboats etc... Never found anything that I could use,
"Rosie & Jim" fabric just ain't what I was after, so I decided to go a
different way with Jills quilt, and go for a pieced boat instead...
its still in the planning stage... (now where have we heard that
before I wonder!!)

I quickly found that everybody posting on here was warm, friendly and
(in general) two bolts short of a fabric store just like myself, so I
stayed and joined in. I got so involved that I became "Beloved
Grandorter" of RH Lady CD and the RCTQ geneology tree grew several new
branches and then turned into a corkscrew hazel...

After both Paul and I had been off work for a few weeks with severe
depression from work, back in 1999, I posted that the doctor had
suggested we took a holiday to cheer us both up, and asked for
suggestions as to where we could go. I jokingly said "we can even
afford the airfare to America"... and within 24 hours we had offers of
accommodation from practically 52 states - it certainly wasn't my
intention to "bum" accommodation at all, and it took several emails
and telephone calls to confirm that the offers we'd had were all
genuine, from people we'd never met, who were throwing open their arms
and their homes and inviting us to come and stay.

After several weeks of careful planning we flew to the USA and spent 3
weeks meeting up with our beloved Miss Sairey, Donna (& Wayne) in
Idaho, Donna in Bellevue, Sandi & Deni, Tiggrrr, Judy the Red Queen,
Anna, and loads of other wonderful people from all over the place. We
were pampered, spoiled rotten and generally treated like royalty
wherever we went. We'll never forget the way that we were made to feel
part of the family where-ever we went, by people who only knew me by
my internet callsign... we even managed to pay some of it back when
The Red Queen graced our sofa for a few days when she came over to
England for the Malvern quilt show in 2000.

And I think that really sums up RCTQ - it doesn't matter who you are,
where you live, what colour you are (as you all know I am
sky-blue-pink with yellow stripes...) as long as you have an interest
in quilting, whether as a passing interest or a lifelong obsession,
then you are all accepted here. We're all family here, we share the
ups and downs of everyday life with each other, we dance when we're
happy and offer wings of strength when needed. We can sound off about
something that has annoyed us that day at work, or sing from the
rooftops when our children graduate. We share everything, because we
are family.

As for my quilting, its hit and miss at the best of times... I started
prolly around 1996, we'd left Roman re-enactment and were looking
around for another period, and at a multi-period show got talking with
an American Civil War re-enactor who had a quilting frame in her
tent... we almost picked that period but research showed that
patchwork had been around since at least 1795 (one of the earliest
patterns documented is Grandmothers Flower Garden from that year), so
we settled on Napoleonic re-enactment instead, portraying the years
1805-1815...

My first quilt was tumbling blocks pieced over papers, and its still a
UFO... I've made a pieced cat quilt for my M&D's 50th wedding
anniversary, am working on a historical GFG using fabrics reminiscent
of those around during the Napoleonic era, completed a small
wall-hanging for a competition and a crib quilt for a friends new
baby. I even took on a commission for a pieced & appliqued quilt from
a work colleague, its in pieces on the back of the sofa as I write
this as I've developed quilters block with it...and then I discovered
City & Guilds patchwork courses were being offered at out local
evening class centre.

I completed the first year, making a lap quilt and almost finishing a
bag to hold my cutting mat and rulers in, then started the second
year, and after hand dyeing and hand-piecing a cushion cover, decided
that I just couldn't take the pressure of the class whilst working
full time, and having parents who live 3 hours drive away who were
ill. The coursework was taking over my life and my lounge, and was
making me ill. Quitting the course was the hardest decision I'd made
for a long while, but such a relief.

I've now joined a local stitching club, and am about to start a
sampler quilt (from the Lynne Edwards New Sampler book), stitching 2
blocks a month whether at home or at the club. Some of these ladies
have apparently never picked up a needle in their lives, so we're
gonna take it real slow and leisurely like... and I'm really looking
forward to it! Just think, sitting with a cup of tea stitching and
chatting to the new friends I've made, instead of worrying about
whether my coursework is up to scratch... its gonna be heaven... doing
something for myself instead for a teacher... and with friendly people
around me who can show me how to piece curves, or do those pointy bits
in applique, or 1000 other things that City & Guilds will never teach
you.

So thats my tale - now get up and take a short walk to the bathroom
and stretch those muscles out - they need it!

Suzie B

Old August 19th 03, 05:05 AM
Diana Curtis

Hi Sherri! I am so darn tickled that you would delurk for this thread!
You are already a quilter, sit a spell and lets get you going in this
wonderful obsession. Questions will be answered cheerfully. I am just so
pleased youre with us!! Thank you!!
Ya.. I'm Chuffed! (is that the right word cas and sharon?)
Diana :-)

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"sdgodfrey" wrote in message
t...
I came to post at RCTQ because a lady recovering from surgery asked a
question... BG That's you, Diana. Yes, this is my first post here.
I've been reading and lurking for about 3 months, I guess. I've read
RCTN for years because I'm a needleworker, not a quilter. I mostly just
skim the headers there now. I've always wanted to quilt, but I worked
hard all day as a programmer, and already had many hobbies (cross
stitch, hardanger, reading mysteries, internetting, and eating
chocolate..). So quilting became the thing I would learn when I
retired. I've collected quite a few quilting books over the years. Now
at the ripe old age of 42, I'm there! It's been 2 weeks since my
official retirement, and I'm loving it. Knowing my free time was about
to expand, I started lurking here to get a feel for it and to pick up
some tips. You all have been great so far, I've learned a lot already.
Now all I have to do is put it into practice.

So far, I've bought lots of quilting books and fabric. I just hope my
quilting stash doesn't get to rival my needlework stash or I'll need a
much bigger house! LOL I've made one practice square with some really
cheap fat quarters I bought at Wal-Mart about 20 years ago. I've pieced
it but haven't quilted it yet. I think I'll make it into a pillow.
I've signed up for two quilting classes at two different LNS's. The
first one is machine piecing a quilt top. It's 6" squares stitched
together then put on point with setting triangles around the edge, and 2
borders. I hope I've used the right terminology there... It's tomorrow
night, so I'll probably be asking questions here VERY soon. The other
class starts at the end of the month. It's an Amish wallhanging and
will be hand pieced and hand quilted. Yikes! So I hope my quilting
future is to learn to quilt!

I've enjoyed reading everyone's stories. Oh, since this is an
introductory post... I have 2 QI's. Both feline.. known as Bonnie and
Clyde, or collectively as The Dickens'. I love most all kinds of
chocolate, but I'm a purist. I like mine without nuts, fruits, etc.
But since everyone keeps insisting it's too hot for chocolate, the
welcome wagon can send FQ's (Fat Quarters or Finished Quilts). VBEG

--
Sherri G in Kentucky
http://community.webshots.com/user/sdgodfrey

Old August 19th 03, 05:10 AM
Diana Curtis

Ahhh you come under the heading type of quilting thrill seeker!
Its a wonderful way that you came to be here, and whether you ever finish
another quilt or not Im glad you stick around. There have been so many times
your posts have opened another veiwpoint to me, cut thru the chaff and
gotten to the meat of an issue. Sometimes its even about quilting!
Thank you for sharing your tale.
Diana, almost sated but dont let that stop anyone!.. Please! lol

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
I remember being interested in sewing going all the way back to elementary
school, but I come from such a non-practical, non-hands on family that

learning
back then was impossible. It was worse than impossible. My mother

actively
disliked traditional women's work to the point of making fun of people who

do
it.

Grown and on my own for many years, I answered a classified ad to learn

sewing
in a woman's home. That worked out great. I wasn't exactly a talented

student,
but I loved my teacher, the lessons, the effort, the result. When my

teacher
took time off, I took a beginning quilt class. I wasn't sure I'd like it.
Turns out I did! That would have been in 1992.

About that time, the Florida library consortium got grant money to give

Internet
accounts to anyone who signed up. I wasn't sure I wanted anything to do

with
that newfangled stuff, but my boyfriend insisted that I should have an

account
so I filled out the paperwork and was given a password. The accounts

could be
used from the Broward Public Library or dialing in from home. It wasn't

full
Internet access, just a handful of websites and usenet groups and email,

and no
graphics at all. Looking back, it wasn't much, but it was plenty. I was
wired!

Using the watered down make-it-easy Internet access that I had, I found a
quilting mailing list and signed up. I loved it and began discovering

this odd
business of making far-flung friends with people I'd never met. I

remember
sending my first email message and dancing in the dining room. Way cool!

remained devoted to that private mailing list until it went commercial.
Suddenly I was expected to pay for something that should have been free.

My
boyfriend, especially, is of the sex, drugs and rock & roll generation.

He has
strong feelings about the free software movement. We talked about the
implications of paying for a mailing list and decided that the list owner

was
doing nothing wrong but that I no longer cared to subscribe. That's when

first found rec.crafts.textiles.quilting. I did a google search. My

first
posts were in 1995.

Honestly, I didn't like it at first. It took me a while to learn how
camaraderie forms over time. I had to stick around, learn the cast of
characters, learn the culture of each group.

Meanwhile, my quilting was going great guns. I never used to think of

myself as
a finisher. I'd always gotten interested in something half-heartedly and

moved
on to something else. Finishing one quilt was a miracle. Finishing more

was
amazing.

Since then, I've drifted in and out of many quilting activities. I'll

subscribe
to one magazine, let it lapse, then try another. I'll take a class, make

one
sort of quilt, hang around usenet, join a guild, quit, join another,

experiment
with one color scheme, then another. The constant is quilting.

--Lia

Old August 19th 03, 06:28 AM
Donna in Idaho

I have really enjoyed reading everyone's stories!!

I learned to sew at the age of 9 (that would have been in 1944) when I
begged my Mother to let me join 4-H - we weren't supposed to join 4-H until
we were 10. So, the powers-that-be let me join, but I wasn't allowed to
exhibit my sewing projects at the County Fair until I was 10.

Didn't know anyone that quilted until 1970 after I moved to Arizona. Up
until then I sewed lots of clothes, curtains, etc. One of my friends (and
her daughters) in Arizona made what she called 'tear quilts.' They would
tear fabric into four inch strips, sew the strips into big long strips and
roll them up into balls. Then they would start cutting the strips to the
width that they wanted their quilts to be. I loved her quilts & really
wanted to make one, but at that time we barely had the money for clothes and
food - nothing extra for quilts.

Fast forward to late 1982 - first granddaughter was born. A friend of mine
gave me copies of instructions for making a log cabin quilt that she had
gotten in a class she took. Bought the fabric, knowing nothing about
contrasting sides of log cabins and made my first quilt. I actually have a
picture of that quilt on my website - just took the picture a couple years
ago (Talena still has that quilt).

Since that time I've made more quilts and wall hangings and lap quilts than
I can count.

In March 1997 we finally were able to get internet access (without having to
pay long distance) out here in the boonies and I found rctq in June 1997.
Since that time I've met several rctq'ers in person. It's wonderful how you
feel like they are old friends the minute you meet.

Went to the 1999 Houston quilt show and met several rctq'ers. From Houston,
Wayne (my DH) and I went to visit Sarah in Las Cruces - what fun that was!
Paul and Suzie got there about 4 days after we did. We offered to chauffeur
Paul and Suzie for a few days and were certainly glad we did. We had a
wonderful time with them. One of the things they wanted to see while they
were in New Mexico was the Very Large Array (radio telescopes - here's a
link to a really neat picture
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap000530.html) so off we went for a two day
jaunt through central New Mexico. We also made a big dent in the inventory
of the two quilt shops in Las Cruces. Paul actually picked out the frog
fabric that I used for my granddaughter's (Talena again!) graduation quilt.

In 1998 I became SW Idaho Coordinator for Project Linus so my quilting has
taken on a completely new dimension - making quilts for at-risk kids that
need a hug. Not that I've made even a fraction of the blankets (quilts or
afghans) that our chapter has donated - 3,511 blankets as of today!!!!!! We
have lots of wonderful 'blanketeers' in our chapter.

So, that's my story! I really do believe that this ng is the best! I
treasure the friends I've made - both in cyberspace and face-to-face!
--
Donna in Idaho!
Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator

The ultimate inspiration is the deadline!

Old August 19th 03, 06:35 AM
Nell Reynolds

I came to post at RCTQ because my DH put it on my favorites list when he
installed new equipment while I was out of town. It took me several weeks
before I got down to it, because they were listed alphabetically. This is
the only one I still follow because all the others, even though DH chose
carefully only topics that interest me (after 38 years, he oughta know!),
but the others are unpleasant either because of personal attacks on other
posters or because of extremely foul language.
I came to be a quilter slowly. We never had quilts when I was a kid, only
blankets. When I got married, my DH's grandmother, a quilter, had quilted 3
quilts for my MIL to give to her DILs when her sons got married. Since we
were the first to marry, I got first choice. I picked out the plainest one,
being unimpressed by quilts. Boy, was that stupid! The other two were
applique, and really quite pretty, but I picked out the one that was plain
muslin with blue binding and quilting. We still have it, stained in places,
but otherwise intact.
The Bicentennial, I think, is what got me interested, with its emphasis on
history and early American things like quilts. I bought a preprinted queen
size cross stitch quilt top and started stitching...and stitching...and
stitching...and stitching. I should have started out on something like tea
towels. After a year or so, we moved when my DH got a job elsewhere, and it
got packed into a box -- and never has been unpacked since then. Not much
later I saw a Tree of Life double bed size applique quilt kit and bought it.
See, I was learning -- slowly, but learning. This was smaller and only
required me to sew the colored areas on, not create them with cross
stitches. Then I finally found a fulltime job with an hour's commute time
each way, and my diminished sewing time became fully committed to making
clothes for myself.
I always bought the McCall's Sewing and Crafts Magazine when it was a big
quarterly publication and read it cover to cover, mentally planning out how
I would finish several projects, what colors I would choose, and where or
how I would use the completed projects. There was one coverlet made of
velvet that had a Moorish look to it. It was made entirely of wavy
diamonds -- the sides curved instead of being straight. I was going to get
a yard or two of polyester velvet in purple, blue, and turquoise, cut it
into myriads of wavy-sided diamonds, and construct myself a gorgeous
bedspread. My mother tried to talk me out of it, stressing the difficulty
of sewing all those bias shapes together in a slippery fabric. I was
undaunted. Then she pointed out how many yards I would have to buy, helping
me measure the size of the bed and the side hangs. Armed with the yardage
needed, I went to the fabric store and looked at the price of that velvet.
That did daunt me. I walked out empty-handed.
Then I started seeing this little magazine called Quilter's Newsletter. It
came out monthly and was cheap, so I started reading it cover to cover. The
projects looked interesting -- and they were all quilts. Pieced quilts
caught my eye. I figured this was for me: I already knew how to sew --
quite well, thank you very much. On the machine, it would go quickly, so my
lack of unoccupied hours and hours did not present a problem. And since I
sewed a lot, I had plenty of scraps to make quiltse out of.
Whoops! I hit a snag. This was in the days when polyester and double knits
were riding high, with polyester double knits riding highest of all. I
needed a
different kind of cloth, different thread, different needles. Ah well, I
reasoned, I was working fulltime, going to graduate school at night, so what
business did I have adding more onto that? Stuff it back into a mental
closet, but keep reading the magazines.
Then in 1995 0r '96, Cloth World (now JoAnns) came out with precut BOMs.
Just $3.99 a month, so I started buying, opening and reading them. Then,
recognizing my lack of time, I put them carefully away in the translucent
plastic box labeled with the quilt name -- until the next month's BOM
appeared. Now they cost $6.95 a month, and I hoard my 50% coupons to buy
them, with an extra on payday.
Quilting is like any other addiction, starting out innocently. Then slowly,
insidiously, it twines its tentacles down into your very being until it owns
you. This newsgroup has no similarity to Alcoholics Anonymous, but a great
similarity to the dealer on the corner.
I started working at the Texas Education Agency in 1998, visiting school
districts to check on their compliance with school law and the quality of
their teaching programs. Boy, doesn't that make me sound like a high
muckety-muck! In reality, we had a set format to follow, with specific
things to check, and a set format for the report we had to write each week.
If everything went smoothly, I might have some free time on Thursday
afternoon of the visit, so I learned to haul out the local phone book on
checking into the hotel and looking in the yellow pages for quilt shops --
fabric shops if nothing was listed under "Quilts." Then I started making
sure I had time to visit quilt shops. I hit the jackpot one week when a
Central Texas Quilt Hop was scheduled. I was staying in a town with one
shop, and visiting a school district in another town that had a LQS. My
traveling partner was coming from Houston, meeting me at the hotel Monday
evening. I left Austin as early as possible, and managed to swing through
two other towns -- and LQSes -- listed. The school district was all
hunky-dory, so we had plenty of time. My partner had brought his golf clubs
and was able to get in a round while I went LQSing on Thursday. We finished
by 10:30 on Friday, and I had no deadline to arrive home. I looped around
the map and caught four more LQSes by 6:00 when the last one closed and I
had to go home. That was an expensive traveling week for me, because I
couldn't just walk in and leave empty handed.
No two quilt shops are alike, but all of them are fascinating. I kept
rationalizing that "Now I have money, if not time. Soon, I will retire and
have time, if not money. It just makes sense to stock up now." Well, here
I am almost retired, thanks to the Texas Legislature cutting funding for
education, and my annuity will be less than $2,000 a month -- not a living
wage. I can go back to work for a school district after October 1. The
problem there is that they can get English teachers for a lot less than they
would have to pay me -- the pay scale is set by the state, depending on
years of experience and education level. A school district can pay over the
state rate, but must pay all equally-qualified teachers equal salaries. I
love teaching, but it will seriously cut into my quilting time.

Well, this ought to have given you some reading. You probably were not
expecting me to go on and on so much. I hope it was pleasurable.

Nell in Austin

Old August 19th 03, 07:00 AM
Nell Reynolds

Diana, these are all so interesting! I hope you plan to print them out and
keep them all.

Nell in Austin

Old August 19th 03, 07:27 AM
Pati Cook

No, I am married to a different SciFi/Fantasy writer............ Rick Cook. He
does have books out. A series dealing with magic and computers and full of
puns. And my favorite of his is "Mall Purchase Night" , the heroine of which is
the owner of a shop called "Bell, Book and....... Candle shop".

A real giggle.

I never have been able to keep inside the lines, always want to draw new ones
G.

Pati, in Phx

Diana Curtis wrote:

Ahhh the BOM. Im just hoping I can come up with something that appeals to a
wide range of tastes and abilitys!
Id like to hear more about your punster husband! You arent married to Piers
Anthony are you?
Thank you for sharing your quilting story too. I happen to like people who
arent afraid of coloring outside of the lines. :-)
Diana, healing well!!!

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Pati Cook" wrote in message
Thanks, I think. G Actually, my grandmother also was a quilter. My

Mom
doesn't remember it, but I do remember seeing some of the quilts that she
finished. But I never really *looked* at them. Then Mom found a top, that
Grandma had pieced, when going through Grandpa's stuff after he died. I

have it
to quilt, and it has to be hand quilted of course since she hand pieced

it. It
is a Boston Commons set, but no wide parts, all 2" (?) squares. Mom

recognizes
some of the fabrics as being from her kindergarden dresses, and some of

her
sister's dresses and aprons and such. I will do simple quilting and get

it
finished. soon I hope.

I guess I do have a rather warped outlook on life sometimes G. Must

have
something to do with living with a writer who is a born punster for the

last 20+
years. G

Keep healing Diana, I want to know more about this BOM thing that keeps

being
mentioned.

Pati, in Phx (who really needs another project to keep up with.........)

Diana Curtis wrote:

Wow, you sure have grown in the craft! Im glad youre here to share your
knowledge and also cause your posts are usually a hoot!
Thank you for sharing your tale, all of them have been interesting.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Pati Cook" wrote in message
Well, I have been on RCTQ for not quite 2 years. I finally got the
computer set
up, and the net account up and running. DH sat down with me and said

what
newsgroup should we check out. I said "quilting", so he called up
quilting
newsgrous, this was the first on the list and I never checked any

others.
That
was in January of 2001.
I stay because it is fun, educational and I like the people and byplay
that goes
on.
Quilting was an outgrowth of sewing in general for me. My degree is

in
Clothing
and Textiles, almost a master's in C&T along with work toward a

master's
in
Adult Ed. I was working at House of Fabrics (assistant manager/sewing
machine
manager) when HoF was bought by the company that became Jo-Ann Stores.
Stayed
on through many changes in 3 years, finally got fed up enough to quit.
One of
the things that led to my quitting also led to my quilting. G We

had
to wear
a "uniform" for JAS. Khaki bottoms and white shirts (or shirts with

the
JAS
logo we could purchase from a specfic company ) Had to have some way

channel
the creative sewing I needed to do. (As much as I was working I

wasn't
wearing
much but uniform, and what other clothes I already had were sitting in

the
closet) So I started with some quilting. I had taken a beginning

hand
quilting
class several years ago, and just went on from there.
Now I am finally beginning to teach quilt classes and design my own
quilts.
Eventually I hope to have some of my designs out for sale as patterns

(a
couple
of people have already asked about buying patterns of a couple of my
quilts.)
Have some ideas for quilt books and want to become a really good

teacher.

Hope this entertains you some what,

Pati, in Phx.

Diana Curtis wrote:

Im recovering well... certain things coming in the mail keep my

spirits
up,
thank you muchly! But the days linger long sometimes. I havent

energy to
do
much yet, but you, yes YOU, have the power to entertain and amuse me

if
you
feel like it, and I hope you do...
Would you please tell me how you came to post at RCTQ, and why you

stay,
and
how you came to be a quilter and what you hope to find in your

quilting
future. Maybe everyone else will get some pleasure in reading these

..
then
I wont feel so selfish! lol
Thanks in advance,
Diana the slightly bored

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old August 19th 03, 09:34 AM
cas

just remember that anything you make that even slightly resembles that story
is going to Wendy as a constant reminder of her guilt (just so you don't
send me something that makes me think of dog puke).

cas

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
LOL, how kind of you to put yourself in troubles way simply to amuse me.
What a clever young lady you were to think of such a plausible excuse.
It reminds me of the way DH got around waiting for Xmas morning to open
pressies. He simply told his parents that Westie went after the packages

get the chocolate inside. Westie did get a small taste of choccie for
playing the fall guy.
Thanks for the great story. Now when I do get to work with those two

colors
of cas's I know I wont be able to get the doggie puke story out of my

head.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"frood" wrote in message
m...
Oh, my, does that combo bring back memories of a funny story! This ought

amuse you, Diana. Just don't tell my mom the real truth, ok?

While I was in high school, my parents decided that I was old enough to

stay
home by myself, while they went on vacation. So, being an intelligent

girl,
what did I do? I threw a party, of course! My parent's had recently
re-decorated the living room, with sea-foam green carpet. My mother was

so
proud of that carpet.

Well, over the course of the party, someone (I'll not name her here -

this
is archived forever, after all!) spilled a large glass of Hawaiian

Punch.
threw some baking soda on the spill, and decided to think about it the

next
day. The next morning, I looked at the spill, and man, was it bad! Off

the store for carpet cleaner. Then more carpet cleaner. Consulted every
Hints from Heloise book the library had in stock. It was still pink.

Mom and Dad come home. Notice the carpet right away. "oh, the poor dog!"

said. "he got into the big dog's food, ate it all and moaned and

groaned,
thought he was going to die! So, I gave him some pepto bismol. Then he

threw
up! I cleaned it as best as I could, but I'm sorry, I couldn't get the

stain
out!" Since the poor dog in question couldn't defend himself, and was,

in
fact, prone to eating the big dog's food, then moaning for hours

afterwards,
and since there was no other evidence to suggest something else had
happened, my parent's had no choice but to take my word for it. I did

make
sure the dog got as many doggie treats as I could afford for the rest of

his
life.

To this day, my mother has no idea of the real story. This even came up

this
past Christmas! My mother *knows* something else happened, but has no
evidence! Well, until I published it here on the internet that is!
--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply