Paradise Rock & Gem Club Show

Old April 12th 04, 09:55 PM
roxan

Default Paradise Rock & Gem Club Show

Wow, that nugget is the biggest I ever saw. Can't imagine what it is worth.
Roxan
"vj" wrote in message
actually, i DID have fun. sort-of.

this weekend was the 50th annual Paradise Rock & Gem Club's Gem and
Jewelry show. and as a club member, they asked me [for the first
time] to create one of the display cases with my work. so . . . i
figured i'd better be there to help staff the thing, and it was a
great excuse to be gone from the house all weekend.

one thing you need to understand is that at 55, i'm one of the
YOUNGEST members of this club. many, many rock and mineral/gem clubs
around the country are dying out from lack of members.

so . . . bright and early [i don't do early well] Friday morning i
reported for work at the Veteran's Hall to start helping with the
set-up. at 8:00pm, we had all the tables set up, skirted and covered.
there were 35 display cases set up, filled, lighted and ready for
viewing. there were dealer tables all around the outside of the hall.
we had a "wheel of fortune" for children and almost 1000 grab bags of
tumbled rocks. we had pounds and pounds of rocks, gems, minerals, and
slabs for the silent auctions. about half of the dealers themselves
set up on Friday evening. then the club provided a ham dinner for all
the 'worker-bees'.

Saturday morning, back to bright and early. **sigh** the show didn't
open until 10, but there was still much to do. we had a 'running
sluice box' where you could pan for gold with pretty much guaranteed
results. a local caterer set up in the kitchen. we had demos of
scrimshaw carving, silver working, cabochon making and rock carving.
there were rocks, beads, and settings all OVER the place. and i, in my
brand-new club vest and name-tag spent the next two days selling
chances on the wheel and selling grab-bags and filling in until my
eyes were spinning.

on Sunday, more of the same. my son and his girlfriend drove up, and
we got to spend time together. he took pictures for me [he's much
better than i am] and got some gorgeous results. there was a gold
nugget weighing 14 POUNDS [not for sale] and a $1500 jade disk.

http://www.vickijean.com/images/pr&g...004_index.html

we didn't try taking pictures of all the professional tables - too
many crowds, etc.

then, at 4:00 - all the dealers packed up and we had to tear
everything down and clean up so the dancers coming in at 7:00 would
have a clean hall. yikes! but finish we did, and in record time,
according to the old hands. and we all went out to dinner together.

but this morning, i'm totally wiped out and have the stiff joints and
sore muscles to prove it!

on the extra plus side:
- contact with a real silversmith who lives within driving distance
for lessons!!!!
- some rocks and slabs from the silent auction for next to nothing.
- grab bags of polished rocks for only $1.
- more wire-workers to connect with and ask questions.
- i assisted the one young member of the group and found out her
husband is at Ft. Lewis, right across the sound from Jamie. she's one
of the few "next generation" in the club - and she's very, very good -
learning from her expert grandparents.
- if you look at:
http://www.vickijean.com/images/pr&g_2004/pr&g_020.jpg
this man makes his entire living and supports his children on e-bay,
selling jewelry. there is a large chunk of aquamarine colored glass
in the far left corner as part of his display. he just found out this
weekend where that glass comes from. he bought it for about $20 and
one time had someone offer him $750 for it. it turns out, it's a
piece of glass created from one of the first atomic tests in Nevada -
when the sand melted. the white spots in it are ash.
- and don't miss:
http://www.vickijean.com/images/pr&g_2004/pr&g_035.jpg
this lady's beadwork is phenomenal. that hummingbird necklace is
absolutely "klunk-worthy".

so . . . that was MY weekend. fun, yes! exhausting, also yes!"

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
newest creations: http://www.vickijean.com/new.html
-----------
and to the republic which it established, one nation from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.

Old April 12th 04, 10:09 PM
Dorothy

vj wrote:

http://www.vickijean.com/images/pr&g_2004/pr&g_020.jpg
this man makes his entire living and supports his children on e-bay,
selling jewelry.

Do you happen to know his eBay ID?

Dorothy
Old April 12th 04, 11:16 PM
Shirley Shone

It sounds as if you had a wonderful time even though it tired you out.
Get some rest now.
Shirley

In article , vj
writes

--
Shirley Shone

Old April 13th 04, 03:31 AM
roxan

It is worth more then the market price for gold, you can be sure. Something
this big is a rare find.
Roxan
"vj" wrote in message
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "roxan"
:

]Wow, that nugget is the biggest I ever saw. Can't imagine what it is

worth.

well . . . whatever 140 troy ounces of gold is worth.
it's more than 95% pure.

419.30 x 140 = $58,702 ??

-----------

Old April 13th 04, 05:05 AM
Anne C. Bauer

actually, i DID have fun. sort-of.

Vicki, that's great! I saw that large gold nugget on the news last night - I
was hoping to catch a glimpse of you too! Pictures are great! Thanks for
sharing!

Annie
or
AnnieBee's at
http://www.anniebee.com

Old April 13th 04, 05:06 AM
Anne C. Bauer

, that nugget is the biggest I ever saw. Can't imagine what it is worth.

well . . . whatever 140 troy ounces of gold is worth.
it's more than 95% pure.

News story last night mentioned half a million as the value, tho it is not for
sale.

Annie
or
AnnieBee's at
http://www.anniebee.com

Old April 13th 04, 07:28 AM
Anne C. Bauer

are you going to the one in Anderson in May?
i'm still debating - i might be able to drive up for a day, but i
can't afford to stay and work the weekend. evidently, the Paradise
show has quite a reputation i was not aware of. maybe you can come
next year????

Vicki, I was planning to come down this year, but most of my local buds, and
family members had plans, and I didn't want to go alone. I hope you come up for
the show in May - it is generally a fun one, tho the local gem society big
show is in October, this May one has been growing, and I always leave $$$
there! LOL!

Annie
or
AnnieBee's at
http://www.anniebee.com

Old April 14th 04, 05:55 AM
Dorothy

Dorothy wrote:
]Do you happen to know his eBay ID?

vj wrote:
http://snipurl.com/5ou7

Thank you. He has some nice rocks.

Old April 14th 04, 06:27 PM
Dorothy

vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from Dorothy
:

]Thank you. He has some nice rocks.

ROTFLOL!
well, he is quite a hunk, too........

And I wasn't even intending a double entendre!!! OOPS! LOL

David Keys Speaks on "Stones For Sacred Healing" - The Isle Of Light Internet Radio Show cap22 Beads 0 December 30th 03 05:11 AM
Intro and Bead Show info Maria Perez-Bastian Beads 2 December 9th 03 03:10 PM
Air Show Steve & Susan Wright Beads 0 July 18th 03 01:49 PM
FS Aleenes Craft Club Magazine DMVTREK Beads 0 July 17th 03 07:06 PM