storm at sea

Old June 8th 04, 03:07 AM
Julia Altshuler

Default storm at sea

I'm thinking of Storm at Sea. Specifically, I'm thinking of the diamond
in a rectangle unit that goes into the storm at sea block. Is there a
clever easy way of piecing this? I've used templates, but templates are
a pain. I've paper pieced it, but that wastes a lot of fabric, and I
suspect there's an easier way, something that's dopeslappingly obvious
after someone points it out to you and accurate to boot. I'm hoping
maybe for a ruler made specifically for the unit and instructions that
go with it.

--Lia

Old June 8th 04, 07:53 AM
Roberta Zollner

Birangle ruler. Not specific, but you'll see right away how it could work. I
recommend the accompanying book for the shortcuts.
Roberta in D

Old June 8th 04, 08:21 AM
Patti

Hullo Lia
Paper piecing this need not waste a lot of fabric:
when you draw/print out your pattern, make an extra one. Cut this into
the component bits. Use these as 'templates'. Place them on the fabric
and cut round them, eye-balling roughly half an inch round each. You
can then cut as many as you want, in whatever method you want. You
then have the right shaped pieces, so they are easy to place at the
correct angle, and so on. All you have to remember with this is that,
because it is a rectangle rather than a square, the pieces are not
completely interchangeable.
..
In article 0c9xc.1029$ar.521@attbi_s04, Julia Altshuler
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old June 8th 04, 12:25 PM
nbhilyard

If not the Bi-rangle, then Tri-Recs.

Nann
in Winthrop Harbor, Illinois

Old June 8th 04, 06:31 PM
I.E.Z.

"nbhilyard" wrote in message
news
If not the Bi-rangle, then Tri-Recs.

Nann
in Winthrop Harbor, Illinois

Seconded. I have used my Tri-Recs for a Storm at Sea.

Iris

Old June 8th 04, 08:41 PM
Julia Altshuler

Thanks for the prompt and knowledgeable replies. I have the right
ruler, but I've never used it. I have all the fabric for this quilt
spilled on my table, but I can't decide what to do next. This is like
writer's block. I'm not afraid of cutting the fabric. I don't know
what it is. Now I'm leaning away from storm at sea. I'm still thinking
on this.

--Lia

Old June 8th 04, 08:57 PM
I.E.Z.

Thanks for the prompt and knowledgeable replies. I have the right
ruler, but I've never used it. I have all the fabric for this quilt
spilled on my table, but I can't decide what to do next. This is like
writer's block. I'm not afraid of cutting the fabric. I don't know
what it is. Now I'm leaning away from storm at sea. I'm still thinking
on this.

--Lia

It's quilter's block! I sometimes have a terrible time with this. I have
my next project all picked out. Then I finish the current one, and all of a
sudden I'm not sure if I want to do the one I thought i did. Sometimes I
decide the pattern is fussier than I want to bother with right now.
Sometimes the fabrics that seemed so good on the shelf now don't want to
play nice on the table. Sometimes I'm torn between the selected project
and another one. I just waste time shuffling fabric and patterns around
until I am fed up with myself. You might try just leaving the fabric on
the table, if you can, and walk away. Sometimes this works. This is one
reason I keep my log cabin box with all my pre-cut strips. Sometimes it
helps to just grab up some strips and make scrap log cabin blocks. Then
they go into lap quilts or quillows.

Iris

Old June 8th 04, 09:03 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
Thanks for the prompt and knowledgeable replies. I have the right
ruler, but I've never used it. I have all the fabric for this quilt
spilled on my table, but I can't decide what to do next. This is like
writer's block. I'm not afraid of cutting the fabric. I don't know
what it is. Now I'm leaning away from storm at sea. I'm still thinking
on this.

Well quit sharing your quilter's block with me! Keep it to yourself!!! LOL

I've got two quilts I need to get cracking on designing, and one more that
needs a setting, and every time I pull out my sketch pad, I freeze up. I
hoped maybe mindless block sewing would do the trick. No progress on what I
need to do, but I got 30 mindless blocks done. *grin*

I have a feeling there's too much going on in my life to be creative right
now. Which tweaks me, because I know getting something creative done would
be very soothing, and be a nice change from all the other cr*p. Grrrr....

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old June 8th 04, 11:00 PM
Diana Curtis

Im thinking its because the fabric knows what you might do in the squaring
up process and is quivering in fear and silence.
Diana :-)

"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
Thanks for the prompt and knowledgeable replies. I have the right
ruler, but I've never used it. I have all the fabric for this quilt
spilled on my table, but I can't decide what to do next. This is like
writer's block. I'm not afraid of cutting the fabric. I don't know
what it is. Now I'm leaning away from storm at sea. I'm still thinking
on this.

--Lia

---

Old June 13th 04, 05:10 PM
Dr. Quilter

If it helps, Lia, I love that pattern and I want to do it sometime, so
if you need any pushing I wholeheartedly say "Go for it!"

Julia Altshuler wrote:

Thanks for the prompt and knowledgeable replies. I have the right
ruler, but I've never used it. I have all the fabric for this quilt
spilled on my table, but I can't decide what to do next. This is like
writer's block. I'm not afraid of cutting the fabric. I don't know
what it is. Now I'm leaning away from storm at sea. I'm still thinking
on this.

--Lia

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens
(take the dog out before replying)

OT - Gee thanks for that Storm Kathy N-V Beads 19 January 4th 05 05:13 AM
Ot has anyone seen Elizabeth ,,,, was there storm in Salem ? Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Needlework 7 September 20th 04 04:18 PM
Biggie Storm OT Candace Beads 1 July 7th 04 01:51 AM
AD: Storm the Gift Horse II starlia Beads 2 March 3rd 04 10:44 PM