Large cross stitch projects

Old February 12th 04, 07:08 PM
Denise B

Default Large cross stitch projects

I have been working on a large cross stitch design and wondered if
anyone has seen a larger one. My project is of the South Portlandhead
Lighthouse in South Portland, Maine. It is 48"x48" at 14 count aida.
Old February 12th 04, 07:31 PM
Julie

No, that seems pretty large to me ;-) ... I have an ongoing WIP that is in
that ballpark, but not quite that big. 2ft by 3ft 14 ct. White Aida. I am
doing it with 3 threads to emphasize the colors. It will be the Coat of
Arms for Australia when it is finished, someday. I am always doing a little
bit of work on it, but with something that big, it just takes time as you
would expect .... Julie

---
* remove nospam_ from the email address to reply

om...

Old February 12th 04, 07:52 PM
Caryn

I have been working on a large cross stitch design and wondered if
anyone has seen a larger one. My project is of the South Portlandhead
Lighthouse in South Portland, Maine. It is 48"x48" at 14 count aida

Impressive!

Mom did a 24" x 60" needlepoint once, it almost cured her of ever
needlepointing again! lol

Caryn
Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
Updated: 7/7/03 -- now available Dragon of the Stars
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)
Old February 12th 04, 10:44 PM
F.James Cripwell

Denise B ) writes:
I have been working on a large cross stitch design and wondered if
anyone has seen a larger one. My project is of the South Portlandhead
Lighthouse in South Portland, Maine. It is 48"x48" at 14 count aida.

I think we need to be careful as to what is meant by "large". The
smaller the count, the larger the piece will be physically, but to me
"large" means the number of stitches. If your piece is solid stitching,
then it is an impressive 672 stitches square; or around 450,000 stitches.
So far as I am concerned that is *huge*. However, if it is not solid
stitching, then it may not be that "big". The biggest I have done is about
500 by 250 stitches; or around 225,000 stitches (The Naked Maja).
--
Jim Cripwell.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of one's life, any
Old February 12th 04, 11:07 PM
CowieLuv

My project is of the South Portlandhead
Lighthouse in South Portland, Maine. It is 48"x48" at 14 count aida.

That big for just ONE lighthouse?! Wow. My current biggie is a map of the US.
About 20 x 24 or so. Is this your only project for now?

cowie
Old February 12th 04, 11:08 PM
Karen C - California

In article ,
(F.James Cripwell) writes:

I think we need to be careful as to what is meant by "large". The
smaller the count, the larger the piece will be physically, but to me
"large" means the number of stitches.

I'll second that. I've seen some very tiny "large" projects, what for most of
us would be a 14x20, comes out as a 5x7 because it was done 36-count over 1.

I happen to be one of those wackos who does over-1, and I like to think that
when I put a hundred thousand stitches into something that it's appreciated for
the time it took, and not brushed aside because it's only 5x7.

FWIW, I once did two similar pictures, one on 14-count and one on 18-count.
Although they were about the same number of stitches, the one on 18-count took
longer to finish; I had to be more precise about placing the needle. I suspect
that if I timed myself on 14-count and on 36-count, the difference in
stitches-per-hour would be pretty dramatic. But that's going to wait until
after allergy season, when I can SEE 36-over-1! dang white goo in my eyes

I have, racked up on scrolls but unstarted, Silver Lining's "Humboldt Coast".
I had to go out and buy extra-long scrolls for that one. I think the scrolls
were 36", and as a back-up, I bought a set of 48s, just in case. DBF finally
has a place to display something that large, so I'll have to get hopping on it.

--
Finished 12/14/03 -- Mermaid (Dimensions)
WIP: Fireman's Prayer, Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler, Holiday

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old February 13th 04, 07:51 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Embroidery is washable, unless you are using some finicky threads or
grounds that caution "do not wash".

Try rolling it, rather than folding it. If you don't have a tube long
enough, and a fabric store near you, ask if you can have one of the
empty tubes that so much fabric comes on these days. Or purchase a tube
at an office supply store or local post office.
Dianne

Denise B wrote:

(CowieLuv) wrote in message ...

My project is of the South Portlandhead
Lighthouse in South Portland, Maine. It is 48"x48" at 14 count aida.

That big for just ONE lighthouse?! Wow. My current biggie is a map of the US.
About 20 x 24 or so. Is this your only project for now?

cowie

Hi -

Yes it is my only project for the time. I fell in love with this
lighthouse years ago and had to stitch it. My concerns with it are
several - I am doing it in hand and I am folding it. I've gotten it
out of the plastic container I had it in, but I am so concerned about
dirt. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Some had asked if it was
a solid stitched project - yes it is.

Old February 13th 04, 09:24 PM
F.James Cripwell

Denise B ) writes:

Hi -

Yes it is my only project for the time. I fell in love with this
lighthouse years ago and had to stitch it. My concerns with it are
several - I am doing it in hand and I am folding it. I've gotten it
out of the plastic container I had it in, but I am so concerned about
dirt. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Some had asked if it was
a solid stitched project - yes it is.

Dont worry about the dirt; providing you are using top quality
materials, such as DMC or Anchor thread. When it is finished, just wash
it in any normal laundry detergent, and it will come out sparkling clean.
I was my stuff by hand in Tide, rinse very well, hang to dry and iron on
the reverse side.
Old February 13th 04, 10:25 PM
CowieLuv

My concerns with it are
several - I am doing it in hand and I am folding it. I've gotten it
out of the plastic container I had it in, but I am so concerned about
dirt.

I use cotton zippered pillow case covers for the projects I'll be stitching on
"forever". Keeps out most dirt and kitty hairs, but the fabric and fibers cant
still "breathe".

cowie