ISO 2-strand curved silver tubes

Old March 5th 04, 03:02 PM
Kimbo

Default ISO 2-strand curved silver tubes

I am looking for a retail source for the 2-strand curved silver tubes used
in "Silver Lining" in Bead Style Jan. '04 (you can see a very small picture
he http://www.beadstylemag.com/bds/default.aspx?id=5&c=i). They are two
curved tubes facing away from each other like this
)(
but they are offset. I called the source listed in the article, Rio Grande,
but they only sell "to the industry." They wouldn't even tell me who they
sell them to so I could buy some. Very frustrating. Any idea where I could
find these or a good substitute?

Naturally, I need them quickly because I'm supposed to make a version of
this necklace for the bridesmaids in a friend's wedding in 3 weeks.

TIA - Kimbo

Old March 6th 04, 04:09 AM
Beth IA

The part number is 693-843. They are $6.75 for a package of 20. Go for it
Kimbo!
--
Beth
http://workerbead.home.att.net

"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
.com...
On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 10:02:09 -0500, Kimbo wrote
(in message ):

but they are offset. I called the source listed in the article, Rio

Grande,
but they only sell "to the industry." They wouldn't even tell me who

they
sell them to so I could buy some. Very frustrating. Any idea where I

could
find these or a good substitute?

Feh. They sell to anyone - they sold to me when I was just starting out,

and
I'm not in any industry at all. Just call them and tell the order taker

what
you want. Don't sound like you're afraid or don't know what you're doing.
Exude confidence, it will work. :-)

I don't have my catalog handy or I'd give you the part number - can anyone
else around here help?

They really cannot give out the names of their customers, or they wouldn't
have any. The day Rio Grande or any other supplier gave out my name and
number to some random person on the phone would be the day I filed a

lawsuit.

Kathy N-V

Old March 12th 04, 05:45 AM
Kalera Stratton

I've heard that Rio is "acting tougher" these days... they're becoming
decidedly unhelpful to anyone who calls and doesn't "sound" like a
business, and I've also heard that the catalogs aren't free anymore...
though that seems to be a situation where they're still free if you call
up with the "This is Natalie from XYZ Designs, we need a set of your
catalogs" attitude.

They've always been very helpful to me, but then I guess they assume
that any crazy person ordering 500 button shanks and a pile of insanely
thin silver wire must be using them for a business. (IF ONLY THEY KNEW!)

-Kalera

Old March 12th 04, 03:05 PM
Karin Cernik

I emailed them a while back, because I ordered catalogs last year (I do
have a resale number), and paid for them. Then I started getting
updated catalogs - but just the tools one. So I asked what the deal
was, and why did I get free tools catalogs, but had to (apparently) pay
for the others, and was told that if I *called* they would send out
whatever I wanted for free. I did, they did. :-)

Now, that may be because I already had a customer number (got it when I
ordered the first set of cattys), I don't know...

Karin

Old March 12th 04, 04:33 PM
Kimbo

Here's an update on my dealings with Rio Grande:

After I posted here and a couple other places trying to find the 2-strand
curved tubes, I sent a note to RG's "Feedback" email. I received a very
nice, apologetic response just a few hours later, saying that they sell to
anyone who makes jewelry and I could call their Customer Service department
to place an order any time.

When I called, I spoke with a very helpful, friendly guy who took my order,
gave me a customer number, and put my name on the mailing list for *all* of
their catalogs. That was Tuesday morning, I think. The beads were delivered
by UPS yesterday.

Maybe I got a grumpy rep the first time I called, maybe my email sparked a
reinforcement of their sales policies - who knows? Color me a satisfied
customer now...

Kimbo

Old March 12th 04, 06:31 PM
Dr. Sooz

but then I guess they assume
that any crazy person ordering 500 button shanks and a pile of insanely
thin silver wire must be using them for a business. (IF ONLY THEY KNEW!)

Okay, now I gotta know. What th--????
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

Old March 15th 04, 06:31 PM
Kalera Stratton

Oh, OK, I admit I was using it for business... it just sounds more
mysterious the other way.

The button shanks were for a large quantity of fused buttons I made, and
the wire is for beadmaking. (Isn't the truth BORING?)

I still have assloads of those shanks, I should make more buttons. Yeah!
This weekend.

-Kalera