Need help/tips learning Free-Motion Quilting

Old May 28th 04, 03:50 AM
Pat S

Default Need help/tips learning Free-Motion Quilting

I am an experienced sewer for 30+ years. I've been quilting for over 20,
machine piecing and usually hand-quilting. Any machine quilting I've done
is fairly straight sewing with a walking/even-feed foot. I turn envy-green
at the free-motion work, the skill it takes.

I have an almost new Brother 8500 machine, and got the special quilting
foot, the one with the spring in it. I am using cotton thread, size 80 and
90 needles. I have allowed the machine to auto-set the tension, I've raised
it a notch or two, and tried lowering it some. But I continue to break
needles. I mean, I'm breaking lots of needles here, just on practice
pieces. I rarely get more than 2-3 inches sewn before I can feel the top
thread tightening and pulling. The fabric starts to look like it's being
"gathered." Bobbin thread is showing on top. (I'm practicing on a "quilt
sandwich" - 100% cotton top and bottom, cotton batting in the middle) I've
had so many needle breaks that I started to wonder if something was wrong
with the machine, although it's less than 3 months old. But it embroiders
fine, and I stopped all quilting attempts and pieced a quilt top - it
performed flawlessly. With straight seams and the walking foot, it quilted
fine.

I've done all the straight and nearly straight seams on the quilt, but I
soooooo want to learn to stipple!!!

I knew this free-motion technique would take lots of practice before I'd do
it on a "special piece" and am prepared to put in the necessary time it
takes to gain the skill. Figured I would practice on place mats and machine
covers/appliance covers when I get some beginner-level skill. But I can't
get much practice in when all I'm doing is changing needles (and going to
the store for more!)

Any of you experienced free-motion quilters out there have any ideas for me?
When you stop laughing at my troubles, could you post some hints/tips for me
to try?

Thanks for all the tips I've already received through this group.

Pat S in Delaware

Old May 28th 04, 04:10 AM
Taria

It just takes a bit of time to get it with free motion quilting. My
guess is you are pulling the fabric rather than guiding. YOu need to
turn the balance wheel to get your bobbin thread up in your fabric and
then pull that along with the needle thread to the back left a tad.
The presser foot needs to be down to engage the tension assembly and
the feed dogs need to be down too. Don't pull just let the machine
stitch while you guide. Kind of hard to describe but be gentle.
I don't explain in writing any better than I do talking but if
you google there have been a lot of good threads on the subject.
Some of the folks here are real pros and generous with their help.
BTW, schmetz are available in 100 packs, atleast 80's that I know of.
If all else fails go into the shop you bought the machine and ask
for help.
Taria

Old May 28th 04, 04:15 AM
Julia Altshuler

Pat S wrote:

I have an almost new Brother 8500 machine, and got the special quilting
foot, the one with the spring in it.

Is that your only option? I'm no expert on machines so check what I'm
saying with someone who knows more, but I believe your machine will
accomodate a darning foot or free motion foot with a regular needle, not
the spring loaded one. The darning foot with the feed dogs down is much
easier to use. That springy thingy is for the birds.

--Lia

Old May 28th 04, 04:33 AM
Pat S

This new "springy thingy" just came in the mail today. My machine came with
the embroidery foot, which sort of looks like a darning foot, but won't work
for this. Checked the owner's manual (when all else fails, read the book!!)
for darning, and it actually tells you to use the buttonhole foot!! Went
back and re-read that a few times, figuring the stress of all these needle
points ping-ing around had gotten to me. And the "springy thingy" is listed
by Brother as a Quilting/Free-motion foot. Here I was, all excited with my
package, thinking this would finally be the answer. Whipped dinner onto and
then off the table so fast, DH was still chewing and I had the dishes in the
dishwasher, just wanted to get back to that sewing machine. Ping, Ping,
here I go again.

And the feed dogs were down, and I did have the bobbin thread up and both
threads held back as I began. Am looking for a dealer that will sell me a
dump-truck full of needles

Pat in DE

Old May 28th 04, 04:45 AM
JJ

Sorry you are having so much trouble free motioning. I too love to free
motion and have read a lot about it and practice practice and it will come
along. Like the other person said...it is very important to get the bobbin
thread up...by turning the wheel so the needle goes in...and back up by
hand..then grab the bobbin thread and pull and keep to the left. I was told
to go about 8 stitches..to secure...then trim those off so they don't get
tangled. Plus set your speed of the machine just half power and that way
you can put the pedal to the medal all the way and not worry about adjusting
the speed then adjust your motion with your hands evenly. I use the emb
foot for my free motion...and have a spring foot for my older machine and
both work just fine. Good luck.....jj

Old May 28th 04, 12:00 PM
Julia Altshuler

http://www.kapres.com/needles/needles.htm

Old May 28th 04, 12:49 PM
Polly Esther

I wonder if the problem could be your fabric. Recently, I tried to
free-motion a fabric that defied me. Didn't matter which SM, which needle,
which foot. It was not that I didn't know how (my stipple-ometer has several
million miles on it) or that the SM was out of order (it could do everything
else). I had to surrender and give the quilt to the Yorkie. He doesn't like
it anymore that the SM did.
Is it possible for you to take yourself and the Brother to a dealer to
resolve the problem? Maybe, a "Brother" person could tell you a trick
specific only to Brother free-motion quilting. GIve them a phone call - the
worst that could happen is they will start shouting obscenities at you and
you can hang up. We can see that you want to free-motion very badly. It
isn't really a tricky thing like making mayonnaise or parallel parking. You
can. You will. Polly

Old May 28th 04, 02:28 PM
hfw

Pat, where in DE are you? Do you ever get to Philadelphia? I'm due for a
daytrip to Wilmington...

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

s.com...

Old May 28th 04, 02:29 PM
Mary in Rock Island IL

Here are some things I do to get my machine to let me fmq:

drop the feed dogs
set stitch length to zero
lower the presser foot (to engage the tension)
take a deep breath before starting

Maybe one of these will help?

Mary