unravelling....

Old August 5th 03, 01:11 PM
Gtwy4cb

Default unravelling....

stitching once normally, and a second
time with a VERY tight stitch.

It won't help--I've has this probale with microfiber fabric and the seams just
keep on shredding.
Old August 8th 03, 07:52 PM
Elaine Carpman

"The Cow Goddess" wrote in message

that'll be my state if i don't find some solution to this dress!!!!
grrrrrrrrrrr.....

i have a major job interview tomorrow. over the holiday weekend just
past, i decided to raid the stash and find some plain black crepe to
make a simple, square-necked sheath dress of the variety i am SO fond of
that i have 3 already [all brightly coloured, though].

given that it's 80F in the shade here of late, i didn't want to use my
heavy wool crepe, so pulled out a gorgeous piece of polyester crepe. i
love this fabric! the drape, the feel.

but it's unravelling.

so far i've managed the zipper opening with fray check and i just did
the side and shoulder seams by stitching once normally, and a second
time with a VERY tight stitch. i'll trim tonight before i add the
facings [*sigh*] and sleeves.

do y'all think that's the best way to manage this type of situation?

many thanks,

angela

-Angela,

I'm assuming from your post you don't own a serger.... there is a product I
used alot before I got my serger..called "seams great" it is a bias cut
strip of lightweight nylon or poly...meshlike. comes in 5/8" width and wider
too... when you pull on it, it cups and you put the raw edge of the fabric
in the cup and stitch it over the edge thus enclosing the raw edge. it is
very lightweight adds almost no bulk to seams and holds up very well in the
wash. I used it on all the raw edges on a shirt I made my husband, still
looks good- you buy it in the notions section of the fabric store.
Hope this helps.
Elaine

The Cow Palace has moo-ved!
http://webhome.idirect.com/~rouquinne/